Being Realistic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Being Realistic Being Realistic

Unread 04-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Being Realistic

I'm getting ready for an hyst (abdominal) and my doctor says I can be back to work within 2-3 weeks after surgery since I have a desk job. Does this sound right? After reading all the stories I'm having a hard time believing this. What should I really expect, I'm the only employee at my work so the office pretty much shuts down when I'm not around and I need to give my boss a realistic idea of when I'll be back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM

I wondered this too, esp since I sit all day at a computer, which is what I'm doing now..
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Being Realistic

I'm 10 days post op and can sit at my desk at home all day long with no problem. I only get up for food/water/bathroom breaks.

I have a great chair with firm back support that doesn't put any pressure on my abdomen.

So while it is possible you could be at work, you still have to drive (I assume) and get up/down, in/out of your chair more often than a few times a day.

Realistically, hire a temp to help out while you are out because you will feel tired and wiped out and probably not up to a whole lot right away. Follow your docs orders AND your body, it will tell you if you are overdoing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Forgot

I forgot all about driving...

I guess it's better to just be relaxed.
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Being Realistic

Wow-2 to 3 weeks? I also sit at a desk on the computer for a large part of the day. I am having a TAH on 4/21. My doctor has told me 6-8 weeks off, no exceptions. I was hoping to be back in like 4 weeks & they told me to forget it. They stressted that this is MAJOR surgery & I should definately not push trying to go back to soon. From what I've heard on this site I can't imagine going back any time before 6 weeks at the least. Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Wow

Sounds like i just need to plan on 6-8 weeks, no matter what my doctor says and let myself get better when the time comes. My boss will have to live with it and hire a temp for the time I'm gone because my health is more important than my work. Thanks everyone for your help. I had a feeling the 2-3 week going back to work thing was a little unrealistic.
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Being Realistic

You're DR said 2 - 3 weeks?! He's the Doctor, but I sit at a desk for my job most of the time and I was told 6 weeks at the EARLIEST! I'm not even suppose to drive for 2 - 3 weeks. I've heard that if we do too much too soon we will suffer the pain from overdoing. I'm not a DR so I can't say, this is just what I've been told.
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Being Realistic

Hi,

I had a TAH with a textbook recovery at the age of 39, and there is no way I could have gone back to work and sat at my desk all day at 2 to 3 weeks. I was just starting to make small trips out with my Mom (with her driving) at that point. Just riding in the car was miserable, as it felt like my innards were going to go flying out every time we stopped or hit a bump. Plus I had brain fog from the anesthesia and pain meds for several weeks and couldn't have concentrated on work if I had wanted to (which I didn't!)

In addition, sitting is an activity which puts a lot of pressure on your healing internal tissues and incision and it's definitely NOT comfortable. It was over 4 weeks before I could sit without any pain, and then when I did go back to work at 5 1/2 weeks, sitting at my desk was miserable. I had to kind of slide down in the seat and got up and walked around.

So, I suggest taking off 6 weeks at least, then if you feel better, you can always go back early and surprise your boss. (It's really hard to convince a boss and coworkers that you need more time off if you go back too early and can't make it.)

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Being Realistic

I have been told there will be no driving for at least two weeks since we have a standard and it requires alot more movement than an automatic. I got lucky. My hubby is bringing me his laptop so I don't have to sit in a chair.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register