pillows??????// | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pillows??????// pillows??????//

Unread 05-07-2001, 04:26 PM
pillows??????//

wanting to know about pillows, should i sleep alone????
what is the pillow police???????(lol) need all the advice i can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2001, 04:35 PM
pillows??

I am curious abiut the pillows also . My surgery is May,15 and I was wondering how many and what type of pillows to have for a comfortable sleep.
Unread 05-07-2001, 04:46 PM
pillows??????//

Gotta have lots of fluffy pillows for any new

I would recommend a body pillow for one thing. Of course, now that I'm 5 months post op my body pillow serves as a base pillow accross the top of the bead for both me and my DH. I took two new pillows to the hospital with me and a small hystersister pillow i made for myself. The small pillow came in really handy for lying on your side. If you tuck the small pillow up against your hip and then sort of roll over against it... this helps keep slight pressure against your abdomen relieving that kinda odd feeling of your insides feeling like they're going to fall out. (sorry, can't think of a better way to describe it).

When I got home I would tuck one of my extra pillows between my knees. You're going to want to be comfy since you'll be spending a lot of time in the royal bed. DO be sure and change positions at least every couple of hours to ward off stiffness.

What are the "pillow police"? Those are the mystery ladies who keep tabs on whether our princesses are truly living up to their princess title. If you decide to overdo it after surgery... or not take care of yourself.... WATCH OUT! They'll know! They'll find you and knock you silly with tons and tons of feather pillows till you give in and declare your obligation to yourself to be good and rest up. Shhhhhhhhhhhh..... don't tell anybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2001, 05:29 PM
pillows??????//

I also used the body pillow -- lucky me, someone brought it to the hospital as a get well gift!

My hubby has a tendency to kick in the bed while sleeping so we used the big body pillow as protection from him!
Last thing a new punctured princess needs is a kick to the tummy!!
Unread 05-07-2001, 05:33 PM
one more thing...

Also need a pillow or folded blanket between you and the seat belt while riding in a car.

Best wishes to you both...
HHLady
Unread 05-07-2001, 06:24 PM
pillows??????//

The pillows...ah, the pillows...

I also took my own pillows to the hospital, and was the envy of my roommate as she tried to get comfortable with the crunchy plastic coated icky hospital pillow! I got a king sized pillow instead of a body pillow, since I'm short...still use it as Pitterpat described! And I still sleep with the little one just under my hip and against my tummy. I feel too vulnerable without it! (restless DH and many cats prowling around the bed at night...)

A small pillow under the seat belt is essential for the trip home, for any driving, and later for sitting on at your computer or desk. Check out the adorable (and perfectly sized) Hyster Sisters Pillow/Tote for sale in the Hyster Sisters store...it's perfect.

So get some nice fluffy new pillows, some pretty cases, and prepare to recline in splendor and royal comfort!

Karen
Unread 05-08-2001, 02:23 PM
pillows??????//

thanks for all the pillow advice! went shopping today and bought a body pillow and a pillow for the tummy. im sixteen days till tah, getting anxious.
Unread 05-08-2001, 03:14 PM
Pillows

Let's see - I had 2 pillows under my head, 1 on each side, and one under my knees. I did sleep alone in the guest room for about 2 weeks after surgery. We have a waterbed, and I didn't think getting in and out would be possible for awhile. I think the hardest part of sleeping for me was getting comfortable, as I usually sleep on my stomach!!!

Good luck -- you will be fine in no time. It is great to be rid of the bleeding and pain.

JS
TAH/BSO 9-27-00
Unread 05-08-2001, 05:10 PM
pillows??????//

Use your belly pillow on your incision (press on it) and roll to the side the raise up to get out of bed. Pillows behind you in bed to recline. My pre-op class said don't sit bolt upright (computer chair, dining chair, in bed or car) for awhile.

The Pillow Police could place you under house arrest if you are caught disobeying post-op restrictions, so leave those dust bunnies ALONE!
Good luck and Hugs,
Miranda
Unread 05-08-2001, 09:19 PM
pillows??????//

My list of must-have pillows:

#1 The Tummy Pillow. I found the absolute best ever perfect pillow for this - it's called a "Bucky" neck pillow. It's like a lightweight beanbag, covered with soft fleecy material, and shaped kinda like a thick
"C", for putting around behind your neck when you travel and have to sleep on planes. Wonderful tummy pillow. About $26 at travel stores, and well worth it. Also handy in the castle for lying, propped-up, and watching TV, and for sitting on, if your butt gets tired of being smooshed after a couple of days sitting/lying in bed.

#2 The Body Pillow. I never did use mine like your s'posed to. Instead, I doubled it over and propped my legs up on it when I slept, or propped myself up on the couch with it. Very handy, versatile pillow. Mine had a lovely print of a forest and moose on it, and was about $7 at Wal-Mart.

#3 Protection Pillow. The same wonderful nurse who brought me my anti-nausea meds after my laparoscopy introduced me to this one: Fold up about 2 big towels to make a heavy pad (not fluffy). Put them in a pillowcase. Place it over your belly at night to protect yourself from wandering cats and stray arms. After my pre-hyst lap my belly was *very* *very* sore, and could not have let my guard down enough to have slept without it. Even if you don't have cats or anyone else in the bed, the pressure is soothing, which is why the guy gave me this "pillow" in the first place. I didn't need it so much after my hyst (abdominal) but your mileage may vary.

And of course you'll need some little pillows for your neck, and some fluffy ones to get comfy...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register