How long before I can resuming practicing yoga with my class? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before I can resuming practicing yoga with my class? How long before I can resuming practicing yoga with my class?

Unread 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM
How long before I can resuming practicing yoga with my class?

I just joined Hyster sisters and have not scheduled my surgery yet (LAVD). At 46 I finally feel like I am in pretty good shape. I am worried that all that will go down the drain post op. I am a yoga instructor and I'm wondering how long I will have to abstain from practicing with my classes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Hi ((((yogadevo)))) and to Hyster Sisters. You sure found the best place for support and information you can actually use.

Depending on the type of surgery you will have and on your recovery, your doctor will inform you about the types of restrictions you will have and for how long. Usually, we have to wait 6 to 8 weeks before resuming exercizing. That's because, even if we don't have an external incision.. or that incision is all healed up.. we have a lot of internal stitches that tend to take several weeks to disolve.

I do wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. We'll be with you every step of the way.
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Hi,

A GREAT deal depends on why you are having the surgery and what type you are having. However, overall- I wouldn't count on resuming intense stretching for 8 weeks. My doc said 10 for me- and that was for a beginner class only...lol. My "dog" has to face upward for a long time....lol. She did give me the okay to ride a stationary bike "easy" at 5 weeks.

Best advice is to follow docs instructions.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM

I feel your pain Yogadevo. I'm a fitness professional and I really questioned my doc and will again at pre op check. Like the others said-it's the internal healing that they really worry about. The MA said absolutely no weight lifting for 6 weeks and no to isometric or any other abdominal, core work. She said not to do anything that would increase abdominal pressure. Ask your doc but I'm thinking that because of the extensive work the core needs to do in both Yoga and Pilates that you're going to be out for the 6-8 weeks. I know, drives you nuts doesn't it? At least you could still instruct and maybe use one of your best students for illustration. For me I'm lucky, my passion is cycling. The doc told me if there are no complications and I feel good he'll let start using my indoor trainer at 3 weeks. I can just raise the handle bars to negate the rider position and pressure on my core. Good luck-I know my biggest pain is going to be my patience with myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register