Major post op gas pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Major post op gas pain Major post op gas pain

Unread 10-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Major post op gas pain

I had my TAH on 10.17. I have horrible gas pains and have not had a BM. How long did it take others to feel better? What is the secret to getting rid of it? They said I can't go home until I pass some. The gas pain is worse than the surgery itself. Any advice is appreciated. And I have horrible insomnia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Re: Major post op gas pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieCares View Post
I had my TAH on 10.17. I have horrible gas pains and have not had a BM. How long did it take others to feel better? What is the secret to getting rid of it? They said I can't go home until I pass some. The gas pain is worse than the surgery itself. Any advice is appreciated. And I have horrible insomnia.
Hi,
Will they let you use gas-ex? Also, walking a little bit at a time, as much as you can handle anyway, will help to get things moving. I did some slow walks around the hospital floor I was on. As far as a bowel movement, I started taking stool softeners as soon as I could (2nd day post-op), and still did not have a bowel movement for 7 days post-op, and that seems to be fairly common. I had to use a suppository to get things moving. Give it time though, you are really early yet, and hopefully will be able to go on your own. As for insomnia??? It is my bestest friend-lol. I am up still from yesterday- it is 5:38 est. Hormones will do that. Also, it is really hard to sleep in hospitals, or at least it was for me...they come in to check on you constantly, give you meds etc.
Well that is all my wisdom regarding your questions, not much I know, but hope it helps a little. Try to get some rest, and hopefully soon you will be able to go home, where you will be much more comfy!!

Merr
ps- you accidentally posted in the pre-op forum, so dont be surprised if your thread is moved to post op forum by the time you read this
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks Merr,
Insomnia will make you post in the wrong forum. Lol I'm glad to hear this happens w others. 7 days is a long time. I took 2 gasx yesterday plus pain meds. My doc said my surgery went extremely well. I was up walking yesterday. Sleeping in a hospital is no fun. I guess that is why they tell you to recover for 6-8 weeks. I will probably have a good cry when I get home due to stress. My husband is wonderful and is taking off work to be with me.

Has this made your life tons better? My periods lasted for days, I was
anemic and had horrific cramps. I got an iud last november and my body rejected it in March. I think I bled for 40 days. I actually fell asleep in a meeting when I was on contract w a company. I start a new job in december. They were willing to wait for me.

It's nice to meet you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:59 AM

The actually let me go home before a produced. ;-) Took me about a week also. What worked for me was a suppository (Dulcolax) . On second surgery, I was again stopped up, and they brought me a suppository. I did tell nurse I'd rather deal with it myself if they did not mind. About 30 min. later things were moving.

The gas??? Well, it can be bad. And after I got home, it continued. I was using Benefiber to keep me regular, but it also made more gas. Find the right balance.
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM

I did pass gas using a diet coke and walking. Apparently caffeine helps. Who knew? I get to go home and rest.
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Hi ...I am 8 dys Post -op and yeah, the gas pains are horrible. I have been up and about a lot so walking is not my issue. Trying to have a BM is like a war between the gas and the poo. Most times I think the gas wins. I am taking Gas-x and stool softener but really not sure if that is enough. An older lady suggested grating ginger root and pour boiling water over it to make a cup of tea - and to help me 'go' put a dollop of epson salts into it. Sweeten with honey. I will try that. What harm can it do :-) And it will also help me keep warm with the 'chills' I am experiencing

Take care
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Oh no 8 days post op. I am 2 days post op. I'm sorry you are chilly. Please let us know if the home remedy works. I've been walking too.
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM

I tried all the stool softeners etc. to get things moving, but found they added to the gas. It was the Ducolax suppository that worked, as things were plugged up way low. Until I got that moving, all the fiber, stool softeners etc. just seemed to build up more gas on top of everything.

It will get better....
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieCares View Post
Oh no 8 days post op. I am 2 days post op. I'm sorry you are chilly. Please let us know if the home remedy works. I've been walking too.
Well, I tried the home remedy and the gas did pass easier. I was so grateful. I will continue to use it but only in the morning as ginger is 'hot' and I am not sure if it will aid in my hot flashes..( Yeah, I have all the menopausal symptoms...lucky me huh. I am on ERT but my doc said it will take a while for my body too get accustomed to the changes. Can't wait to start playing volleyball again. I hear physical activities helps with symptoms)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register