Can we talk HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can we talk HRT? Can we talk HRT?

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Can we talk HRT?

Ok Ladies, you've been really helpful about guiding me through this.

I'm doing ok at ten weeks, I've been back to work for six weeks now. I'm still tired, but I can deal with that.

Hot flashes stink, but I can deal with them too.

I am a big weepy HOT MESS. That's what my husband calls me, anyway. He's been so, so patient with me but I want to start feeling better for me, just as much as him.

I am already on 90 mg Cymbalta for depression,was well established with that before the surgery
( I had a cervical sparing laprascopic hysterectomy, and they took my ovaries and tubes)

When I made my appointment, I was told that there would be a lot of options to discuss, I would be really grateful if I could get some feedback here so I know what to expect, and what questions I should be asking.

Thanks~!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Re: Can we talk HRT?

khewes:

I think I just messaged you. I can relate to being a weepy mess. I go back to work in 2 weeks (and I work OB delivering babies) I don't want to be there and cry but I do at a moments notice. I am a very emotional person as it is and I carry my feelings on my sleeve.

Before my hysterectomy I was 2 periods a month and knew when I would ovulate. I'm 53 and could of gotten pregnant. Probably not, but felt I could. Then, after surgery, it is like our ovaries go to sleep. They are so confused. Have you asked your doctor about HRT in general the villidot patch. I have my ovaries, but he put me on the 0.05 patch and it took about 2 weeks, but I did see a big change. My doctor says it is a very low dose and doesn't think I should be on it long. I don't know if it is in my mind, but I at least have my emotions under control. I feel weepy alot, cry usually everyday over nothing, but than can overcome it and continue with my day. Ask him about the patch?
Hope things get better for you. HUGS
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM

I don't have my ovaries. I wonder if the protocol is different? (I don't have a message, at least I think I don't, still learning my way around the site)

When we met for my pre-op, I asked about what she did for HRT, and said she didn't prescribe it standard, and if I felt that I was having a problem, call and come in and see her and we'll talk.

Well, I'm crying Uncle. I had JUST gotten my depression under control and WHAMMO.. I am either mean and snarly, or weepy, or just....flat.

I want to be level again. That felt good.

Man, I don't envy you. I'm so emotional right now, if I were delivering babies, I'd have to lay in the bed next to mom and sob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM

khewes:

I really think you should talk to your doctor. Are in in surgical menopause? I know just keeping my ovaries, I have had issues. Us as women in genereal are up and down emotional people and then when they do this to us, your right WHAMMO!

You know, I have been doing my profession for 13 years now and loved it. Just hope I have the same passion I did before I left. I feel I am a different person since all this and I don't like that feeling. I am the same, mean - snarly but mostly weepy and alot of times now just like you said FLAT. Why is that???? Does anyone have that answer! I wasn't going to have anymore children. I just feel empty as a women and just feel changed. THanks to everyone that shares your feelings. That is what gets us through.

khewes - you are not alone.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM

We have an appointment Friday, and when I say "we" I'm dragging my husband so he can hear this and help me make a decision.

yep. surgical menopause. Went into the hospital in perimenopause and came out ... well.....in surgical menopause!

Not that I particularly enjoy the hot flashes, I'll get through them, but I don't like feeling like a shrew.

I don't feel any less of a woman, but it took me a long time to get myself out of my sweats and happy bunny pajama pants and back into clothes, doing hair, makeup. It was forced at first, but I like the reaction I got, then I just started to like it, for me.

Actually, oddly enough, I feel more feminine and sexy because there's a certain spontaneity that got lost when I was bleeding ALL THE DARN TIME. Now, whenever the mood strikes, we're good to go.

Now my husband wants to know if we can join the mile high club.

Ah, that's going to be a no.

And we just started to travel, now that our kids are older, and next trip we plan, I don't have to look at "that" particular calendar.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Taking hubby along is good. And I do agree. Doing hair/makeup makes me feel better too. When I'm at home, I don't and you feel down.

You hang in there. You will be ok. I just have a problem because my whole like has been my kids. You helped me though see. It is time for me and my DH> Thanks
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Your kids will, hopefully, someday be grownups and leave your house

Then it's just going to be you and the hubs. I hate to see empty nesters who don't know what to do with each other.

We'll have plenty of stuff to do, see, experience. Not that I'm rushing my kids out of the house, (mine are 20 and 18. 20 is in school full time and has a baby) but I will be happy when I can concentrate on just us for a while.
Unread 03-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Hi khewes

I kept my ovaries and had a rough enough time with my emotions. My doctor prescribed a low-dose estradiol for me, and I've been happy with the results.

You might want to stop by our Hormone and Menopause Central forum or the No Ovaries-Yes HRT sub-forum to get some specific suggestions for how to cope with symptoms and work with your doctor in finding the right HRT for you.

Hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register