Scheduled TAH Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH??? Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH???

Unread 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH???

Hell Ladies!

I'm scheduled for my hysterectomy on September 21. My pre-op is Sept. 19. At first my GYN said my hysterectomy would be done vaginally, but after talking to her nurse on the phone yesterday, she was reminded that I have had 2 C-sections (27& 24 years ago) and I have never delivered vaginally......therefore my surgery most likely will be done abdominally. She said we will talk more about it during my pre-op appointment.

Can women who have never given birth vaginally still have vaginally hysterectomy??????? Im dreading this even more now because with both my c-sections I was in the hospital for nearly a week due to fever and blood clots. I also heard the recovery for abdominal hysterectomies are more painful and longer.

Can anyone shed some light on this please. Lord, I just want to get this whole thing over with . . . lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Re: Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH???

I have had two c sections also and never gave birth vaginally. My hysterectomy was laparoscopic with organs removed through the vagina, no problems every body is different, so it's up to you and your dr, but mine didn't want to do it any other way
Good luck!
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM

I to had 2 c-sections but i could not have my surgry with lapscope because i had a hernia in my bellybutton that needed to be fix at the second c-section so he did want to take a chance with doing damage there, I could not have it done vaginal anyway friboid was to big. so i ended up having a SAH but nothing was said about having to be that way because i had c-sections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Two c sections here. dr is set on trying laparoscopically, but it's all dependent on how bad my previous scarring is. My cs's were classic belly button to pubic bone. After my last one 9 years ago I tried to been supermom and ended up back in the hospital with an incisional hernia. I have a patch that's right alonng my c section scar. She's showed me where she's expect ing to place the trocars to miss my patch. But....it's really up to what she's finds once she's in. i'm hoping and anticipating a TLH.
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM

I've had 4 c/s and just had DvH/RALH with uterus/cervix removed vaginally.
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM

I was scheduled for a LAVH but was told it could be convert to a TAH He said he wouldn't know until he got in there to see how much scar tissue I had. I have never had a vaginal birth. I was converted on the table to a TAH due to my uterus being attached to my bladder. I am glad he tried tho. If you are uncomfortable with a TAH I would talk to your doctor about having her at least try to go it another way It can be done but some doctors think a TAH is easier for them. But this is about you not them. Then if it can not be done she can convert you on the table. It will not hurt to ask hun. Good luck
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM

I was in the same boat as you! I too had two c-sections, and no vaginal delivery. I was very concerned because I am tiny vaginally and I knew that my uterus was HUGE! I really didn't want to have any vaginal tearing or cutting.

I had my procedure on August 30th and had shared all of my concerns with my doctor. She assured me that if the uterus was too large, she would remove it laproscopically but cutting it into smaller pieces and removing it through the incision in my belly button.

My uterus turned out to be HUGE and full of fibroids. For some reason, she ended up removing it vaginally anyway which lead to tearing and stitches. Not exactly pleasant but at least now I can relate to friends who experience a vaginal birth and have stitches! =) My doctor didn't even consider an abdominal hysterectomy for me. The plan was always laproscopic robotic assisted with vaginal removal of the uterus and tubes if possible.

You will do just fine! Share your concerns with your doctor. Unless they have a lot of repair work to do, or the uterus is stuck to something, they can usually do things laproscopically. My recovery has been so much better than a c-section, but the vaginal stitches have made sitting a little uncomfortable!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM

2 c-sections and sorry to say it but I had a TAH.

It was due to scarring and adhesions.

Talk with your doctor about your concerns and don't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion.
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Actually, I think I missunderstood my doctor because after doing research I found that it isnt necessarily the previous C-sections that would cause me to have to have my hysterectomy done abdominaly, but the fact that I have never delivered vaginally. Gosh, my surgery isnt until Sept 21 and my pre-op appt is Sept 19. I have sooo many questions NOW and dont want to wait until the 19th to get the answers. Ugh.....Im so nervous and Im driving myself crazy......... I'd rather have my surgery done vaginally rather than abdominally because Im having flashbacks of my c-sections recovery.......ugh..........
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Do 2 previous C-sections mean TAH???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMJfan View Post
Actually, I think I missunderstood my doctor because after doing research I found that it isnt necessarily the previous C-sections that would cause me to have to have my hysterectomy done abdominaly, but the fact that I have never delivered vaginally. Gosh, my surgery isnt until Sept 21 and my pre-op appt is Sept 19. I have sooo many questions NOW and dont want to wait until the 19th to get the answers. Ugh.....Im so nervous and Im driving myself crazy......... I'd rather have my surgery done vaginally rather than abdominally because Im having flashbacks of my c-sections recovery.......ugh..........
I never had vaginal deliveries either and they were still able to do laprascopically/vaginal procedure.

Good luck! I would consider calling and talking to the nurse to ease your mind so you don't drive yourself crazy before your appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register