Any runners out there??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any runners out there??? Any runners out there???

Unread 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Any runners out there???

I am exactly 4 wks postop from TLH, I was an avid runner before my surgery and have not run since the day before my surgery. Not in pain at this point, just SUPER LOW energy and I get very naseaus if I push myself too hard. Wondering if anyone else out there was a runner before their hysterectomy and what the process of getting back was like. I am guessing I won't be logging any real miles till after the new year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Re: Any runners out there???

I am!! I am 9 weeks post op. At my 6 week appointment I was told that it looked like I had a stitch come open, so I was told to wait 2 weeks and then try and see if I bled at all, and if not it was ok. Well last saturday I went for my first run. It was kind of pitiful, like starting all over again, and I had to take a couple walk breaks, but no bleeding at all!! I will say that at a mile and a half my stomach started hurting, so I stopped and walked home, but it is a start. (by the way I had my surgery via di vinci robot, and I kept my ovaries).
Unread 11-04-2011, 01:34 PM

I am an avid runner. I had a tah bso a year ago. I did not run until i was released at my 4week appt. It was slow getting back to my old form but i have done 7 marathons since sept.2010. The first few attempts i didnt think i would ever get it back but it does come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Yay!! SO glad to find some other woman to get some guidance from around this. I am not really having any pain, my issue is the profound exhaustion. I went back to work too quickly (took only 2 weeks off) and I feel that set me back. After 2 weeks at work, my office manager basically told me I looked like hell and to take another week off...so that is now my plan. I walked (a mile) today and thought I would walk every day for the enxt week and go from there. It feels like it will be awhile befor I can run..my activites of daily life..take it out of me. WHen I get tired I get really nauseous. I was running about 25plus miles a week all summer and it feels like it will be a long time (feb? MArch? April?) before my milege will be up there again. Being told to "listen to my body" by my OB is so tough...running is my escape, my release..I feel so crappy mentally without it! I feel like I will be startign at ground zero..its been a solid month without runnning...
Unread 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Be patient it will come back. My first attempts left me exhausted as well. I could not keep up with people in my running group that i use to lap but months of run//walking it slowly came back. Now i have shaved 45 minutes off my marathon time and feel great. Once i got my hormones balanced the endurance started coming back.
Unread 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM

I totally understand, exercise is my stress outlet, and without it, I tend to overeat, so not only have I lost all muscle definition, but I have also gained 10 lbs. I am so glad I can start taking short runs, I will take anything at this point. And yes it feels like starting over, but that's ok, I know I can get back to where I was, and so will you.
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks ladies!! Guess its all a lesson in patience! Gonna aim for another walk again tomorrow... I will keep you posted!
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM

This is not really quite on the topic, but did any of you runners lose heaps of muscle in the time you were in hospital? I am more of a sprinter (I play field hockey) so only do running for fitness. I usually have pretty powerful quads, but they have shrunk to nothing and I have lost about 3kg in the week I was in hospital. Did your legs feel week when you went back to running?
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:30 AM

2 days in a row of a 2.2 mile walk/run..slow..28 mins. Feeling beat but its a start. Think its a reasonable start? Scared to push to hard.
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Dinad great start your on your way back! Zany i also lift weights and i was amazed how fast i lost my muscle tone but i was happy that once i got back to it the muscle tone also came back quickly. Of course it took me a year to get back to my weights my body just seemed to tell me not yet everytime i picked up the weights before that. It seems even though we have to stop doing what we love when we get back at it our bodies have great muscle memory.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register