About returning to work questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

About returning to work questions About returning to work questions

Unread 06-28-2005, 12:51 PM
About returning to work questions

I had my TVH on 31 May 2005 and am going stir crazy. My doctor says that I can return to work on 12 July parttime the first week and fulltime after that. I am a graphic designer so I sit at a desk all day. I need to go back on 5 July. Is this too early. I mean I sit at the desk all morning on the computer at home so why can't I do it at work and get paid for it? I just want to get my life back to normal... it seems like it has been forever. Can I just go back to work without the doctor's say so . I know that I am able to do this. Any advise would be so great.... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 01:10 PM

My doc said I could go back to work after 2 weeks if I feel up to it. I sit at a computer and as long as I don't lift anything it should be ok on a part-time basis but she does not want me to become worn out.
Good Luck
Mary
Unread 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM

Sorry to read that you are feeling antsy!

KRyan,

Maybe you could ask your doctor to clear you early. Or maybe the doc would clear you t do half days starting July 5th. Otherwise, you'd be returning to work against medical advice, so your employer may or may not care about that.

Hysterectomies are major surgery....and it takes time for all the 'inside' work to heal properly. I'm with you on wanting return to normal, but I don't know of any way to make this happen more quickly, except for following advice to allow time for the healing to progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi there

great timing! I was about to post on the same topic.

I too am a graphic designer, sedentary computer job, had a radical hysterectomy/BSO in June 3 and have been working from my home office part-time (week 3) and fulltime (this week, week 4).

I was not planning on returning to the office until July 4, but now I am going to go in for at least a little while Wednesday and Thursday this week. (My DH will drive me this week as I want to be very sure I can slam on those brakes if necessary. I have about a 1/2 hour commute in a busy city (Toronto).

I am probably going to catch h-e-double hockey sticks from the sisters for going back so early, but I have a few reasons for doing this:

I had my hyst for cervical cancer - and sitting at home alone all day is bad for my mental state, I have discovered. I work myself into such a state you wouldn't believe it. I think I need to be around people to try to get feeling normal again.

I work for a software co and I am one of only two people at the office that can do what I do, and we are on a deadline for our next release - next two weeks if you can believe it.

I feel physically very well indeed. Not on any painkillers, no swelly belly, no menopausal symptoms (yet). (I guess if I start chasing people around the office with a knife that means it's time to go home)

There is a couch I can lie down on at work if I get tired, and my DH has promised to come and take me back home if I find it's too much for me.

I'll post and let everyone know how it went.

Yes, girls - I will self-monitor and take it easy! PS my doctor has approved this as well. So the 6-week wait is not always necessary I guess.
Unread 06-28-2005, 01:53 PM

SheGeek, I think it's very cool that you have both a physican and a DH who are working with you!

I'm sorry to read that you had cervical cancer. You have my very best wishes for healing. Look forward to reading how it goes with you!
Unread 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Thanks Bitslbt, your good thoughts cheer me up!

it's been a very scary time for me. The dr. says this is curable so that's what I'm trying to remember. Sometimes it's hard. I am trusting and hoping that this is just a slight detour in the road for me!

On the positive side I consider myself very lucky I bounced back so quickly from the hyst (knock wood). First week was not much fun but after that things improved very rapidly.

Hugs back at you!
Unread 06-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Hi KRyan77....
I had a TVH (kept ovaries) on May 3rd and returned to work on on May 24th, with the clearing of my Dr. Originally he told me 4 to 6 weeks, but, my recovery went so well I was ready to go back much sooner.

I'm a graphic designer too - the first couple days were a bit uncomfortable sitting in an office chair all day - had to get up and walked around quite a bit. I did not have anyone to do my work while I was off and needed to get back as soon as I could.

It's been 8 weeks today and I'm happy to say I'm feeling better than I have in years. Everthing with the surgery went so well, no swelly belly, no bleeding and no need for any pain meds in the hospital or at home and no early menapause. I feel very fortunate... every once in a while someone else will post that they're doing really well too... but there's not many of us.

Glad to hear you're ready to take you life back!
Take Care
Beams
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Hi,
I worked from home the first week following surgery, then worked full-time starting the second week. I started with just a few hours in the office each day, spending the rest of the day working from home, and moved to full-time in the office over three weeks. In my opinion, the key is to pay attention to your body. If you're tired, rest. If it hurts, don't do it. Hopefully you will be able to return without problems. You really should get a doctor's release first though. I think most companies won't let you work otherwise, due to liability issues. Best of luck.
Ashley
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Most if not all workplaces require a release from the doctor before you can return to work and what restrictions are still in place. I am starting 10 weeks and still haven't been released to go back so am continuing my weekly doctor's appointments and recovering. This won't be forever so am doing everything to recover nicely before being released.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register