Anemia due to blood loss during TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anemia due to blood loss during TAH Anemia due to blood loss during TAH

Unread 01-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Anemia due to blood loss during TAH

Anyone else out there have anemia due to loss of blood during their TAH? I'm not quite as energetic as some of the other post. I did have my 1st 24 hrs without oxycoden today. How long should I expect to be on 2400 mls of ibuprofen? I go to my 2 week check up Tuesday the 20th. I'm here to preach REST REST REST. DH is AWSOME! He gives the best sponge showers and hugs.

Surgery Date: 1-5-09
TAH @ 1st surgery
repair stiches, LSO and cyst draining, 3 units of blood @ 2nd surgery 8 hrs later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM

I had a LAVH and lost a lot of blood during surgery. I'm at 11 weeks now and I still get exhausted quickly. It takes time to get your iron stores back up. Talk to your doctor about iron and B12 supplements.
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:56 AM

I had my TAH on 10-22-08 after delivering my 4th baby and bled out during surgery. I am on iron for 3-4 months. I too become tired easily but it is getting much better. At week 11 I started needing less naps. I was on the oxycoden and morphine in the hospital (i was in for 11 days) but when I got home I only took one ibuprofin. So I would guess your pain should start easing up on you soon. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

I had my TVH on 12/30 and lost a lot of blood. Had to have emergency surgery on the 1st and a transfusion. Ended up with an abdominal incision anyway. They gave me 4 units of blood, and now I have to take iron 3x/day for 3 months. I am exhausted all the time. I am still in quite a bit of pain at times (but I think I overdo it). I have yet to go 24hrs w/o oxycodones though.
Unread 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM

I had an emergency TAH on 12/26/08 and lost a lot of blood. My hemoglobin did not drop below 8, the transfusion point. I was offered and gladly accepted an IV iron infusion which was done as an outpatient under the guidance of hematologist and lasted 8 hours. This way I don't have to to take iron pills as they tore my stomach. IV iron gave me more energy right away. I 'm exhausted again, 2 weeks after iron transfusion, but I contribute this to doing too much over the weekend and lack of sleep.
Talk to your Dr and ask if IV iron infusion is indicated in your case.
Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Hello! I had an emergency TAH on June 3, 2008 due to a severe postpartum hemorrhage after the birth of my fourth baby. My hemoglobin dipped to almost nothing - was 5 after 8 units of blood plus other blood products. I took iron for three months. It was recommended to me by my doctor and pharmacist to make sure to drink orange juice with the iron so that it would absorb more efficiently. Also, they told me to eat lots of red meat since that iron absorbs more efficiently than other types of iron. My hemoblobin was up to 13 after about 2 months. Hope you feel better soon!
I must add that I was tired for the first few months, but it got better. I also took pain meds for the first six weeks for sure. Don't be afraid to take them .
Unread 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
anemia post TAH

Hi
I was anemic going into my TAH and afterwards hemoglobin dropped to 7.1 (in Canada 71). My doctor is very reluctant to transfuse so just monitored the hemoglobin to ensure it was going up and not down. Agree re: asking about iron and B12. At 3 1/2 weeks out, I still find myself tired, do nap in the afternoon and find that I am short of breath with very little activity but it is gradually getting better and the great thing is this won't happen again due to fibroids/monster periods.
Regarding painkillers - everyone is different. I don't like the way narcotics make me feel so after my morphine pump was removed I was only on Motrin every 6 hours in the hospital. Once I got out I just took 2 Ibuprofen prior to bedtime. I know this is definitely not the usual and I would never suggest others should do as I have done. If I was unable to be mobile due to pain I would take something, have always had a bit of a higher pain threshold than most people I know.
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Thank you sisters...you've been so helpful. I do feel better if I at least lay down mid morning and after supper (even if I don't take a nap). I take a nap after lunch of at least an hr give or take daily. I could do that before surgery too. My pulse has seemd to not be so BOUNDING since 3 days ago. I even made my own oaty meal today. My husband is so proud. I feel like a baby of first...with all the milestone. My taste and smell has been hightened. Not sure how long that will last. HA!!! I'll be glad when I can laugh, cough and OH MY sneeze without pain. DH is the best...he would swim thru shark infested waters to bring me a lemonade and even go back for ice. You can tell how much he loves Jesus by how much he loves me. :0) I am blessed by the grace of God!
Surgery Date: 1-5-09
TAH due to 5 lg fibroids - Uterus size of 4 1/2 mo PG @ 1st surgery
repair stiches, LSO and cyst draining, 3 units of blood @ 2nd surgery 8 hrs later
Unread 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM

I also went through the IV iron treatments, as my Dr said i was severe, severe, severe anemic. I did the treatments one week for awhole month, they really didn't help. I had two days during my periods that made going to work almost impossible. When I went to my gyn, he sent me for an ultrasound, and discovered the fibrods, that's what lead to my hysterectomy. I do feel better, I went back to my Hemtologist on Jan 6, my levels are good. I'm currectly at 11.4, he would like to see me at a 12. He was very happy...said I'd come along way since my first visit in Oct when my levels were 8.... It does get better

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register