Seats and getting up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seats and getting up? Seats and getting up?

Unread 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Seats and getting up?

Hi,

Just back home today and right now the major difficulty is other than the computer chair i'm sitting in now; all our seats seem to be less than knee high as far as the base and it's murder sitting down and murder getting back up and not so comfy once i'm down either. Anyone got any suggestions? not sure how cushions would work but yow!!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Re: Seats and getting up?

Perfect reason to only be up and about to post on forums/browse internet/watch DVDs/TV online/on computer and otherwise stay lying down!!

Seriously - I don't have any suggestions .. but I hope you find something that helps

Tori
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:28 PM

I know one thing that helped me big time was if the seat was lower to get my legs kinda spread apart and concentrate on using nothing but my leg muscles. I would put one hand on my stomach and one hand behind me to push up. Everyones body is different so what works for one may not work for another...just listen to your body.g.ood luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 10:57 PM

zadie

One idea on getting up is to take a straight back chair (like a kitchen table chair) hold onto the back of it and push with legs and a little with arms.

Helped me get off our low toilets

Unread 11-11-2011, 10:58 PM

iamsecond's post reminded me of something I learned in a chronic pain clinic I went to 18mths ago - and which I now do automatically, which is probably why I didn't think of it (I have 4 inoperable bulging disks, waist level down - T12-L4 for the initiated).

Use your arms on the arms of the chair, in combination with your legs, to move your bottom close to the edge of the chair. Then push up with your arms on the chair arms, and your legs, to stand upright. If there are no chair arms, you can still use this method, using your arms/hands on the seat - but it takes a little more effort and practice.

I hope that's of some use.
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM

For me, I pretty much sat in my rocking chair for the first few weeks. It had strong wooden arms so I could lean forward and push up with my arms. The other thing I did was to buy a cane and use that to push up from chairs with no arms. One option might be to go to a cheap/used furniture store to look for a chair you can use and then donate later.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register