TAH 1 week post op -when will I feel like me??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post op -when will I feel like me??? 1 week post op -when will I feel like me???

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
1 week post op -when will I feel like me???

My TAH was last Thurs and I had my uterus & cervix removed. I am still very swollen-my time in the hospital was a nightmare and I just wonder if I will ever feel like me again? I have a constant pulling achy feeling-it hurts to sit on the toilet still or to put on underwear. I know its only been a week-but I feel like hell-I wanna cry-and I want to sleep in my bed again! I have not slept in it since last week cause I can't lay flat & I wake my dh up with my constant shifting. Also I seem to pee alot more than I use to-even with the huge fibroids I had that were pressing on my bladder I didn't pee so much!! Sorry-I guess I am just venting!! I am a princess after all!!!LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Re: 1 week post op -when will I feel like me???

I am so sorry you are feeling this way, but if it makes you feel better, it's normal. You're looking at a six to eight week recovery and you're going to have up and down days.

First, I would recommend calling your doctor and listing exactly what you are going through to make sure you are having normal symptoms.

Then, you need to give yourself a break and realize you won't be bouncing back as quick as you thought. My TAH was on June 15th. I've been a bit weepy and I'm tired of the painful gas, but I'm trying to be patient.

Check with your doctor first thing in the morning and hang in there!
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM

You are going through perfectly normal symptoms at this stage. The first 3 days I thought I was visiting the bathroom every hour on the hour, day and night , so I understand the frustration. I felt I was disturbing my DH too but he didn't want me to sleep somewhere else and he wanted to be with me, so maybe talk with your DH and you might find out that he isn't as disturbed as you think or at the very least, he still wants you near and you can sleep in your own bed Each week you will notice progress. It was at about 3 1/2 weeks that I started feeling more like myself and then had to be careful not to overdue Any questions feel free to post here and/or call your doctor .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:57 PM

I was told that I might not feel better until about week 2 and I probably wouldn't be 100% until weeks 4-6. Which I already knew as I've had 3 c-sections and this incision is basically just like a c-section.

Aside from the itching I had a decent day today and even went to the store, but after dinner I fell asleep for an hour..Oops. Hoping I don't pay tomorrow for a decent day today.

I hope you feel better soon! Just take it one day at a time and try no to rush things. {{{HUGS}}}
Unread 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Big hugs!! I felt the exact same way. It was not until week 3 that I began to feel 'better.' The progress is slow, and that's so hard to deal with. I am in week 5, and I still get tired a lot. Think of it as 1 day at a time, and 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

I got a large body pillow with a fuzzy cover and slept on my left side curled up around the pillow--it really helped support my abdomen and made sleep a lot easier....

Dee
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM

I may go purchase a big body pillow today. We have one but my husband hoards it!
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:40 AM

It is normal. I slept in the recliner for the first 2 weeks & used body pillow when I did go back to my bed to help. I think the first 2 weeks are the worst. You start to feel better & doing more @ that time & I think @ the 4 week mark feeling even better not as tired as often. I went back to work @ 6 weeks. I am now 9 weeks post-op of TAH took everything but 1 ovary was able to be saved. I feel pretty much back to normal now...but still have tenderness in my stomach especially when wearing jeans for a long period of time & sometimes get some pulling/stretching that hurts(not sure how long this tenderness lasts). I hope you start feeling better soon.....but unfortunately it is normal
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM

It takes time to fully recover. Meanwhile, take it easy & pamper yourself ya! Get a big fluffy pillow & relax on the recliner. I had trouble sleeping straight on the bed after the surgery too. But, it will get better...stay strong ya!
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM

Hey yep as all the other sisters have said u will start to feel better x I am 4 and bit weeks and still have off days

As I keep being told its major surgery and allow ur self time to heal x
I sleep wiv loads of pillows around me x
It does get easier xx
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Im 8 days post op and have been having lots of the same symptoms--going to bathroom very uncomfortable, have the pulling achy feeling, plus a general feeling of "huh??". It's a huge thing to go through and just try to give yourself a break--whenev you feel pain or emotionally stresses try to say: "this feels awful, but is normal because I just had surgery". You have not had much recovery time yet and the rules are different for everyone. Give yourself the same support I bet you'd offer to anyone else going through this or something similar--and BE PROUD of yourself because this is a huge process and you are doing beautifully, even when it doesnt feel that way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register