Newbie-Recovery Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie-Recovery Question Newbie-Recovery Question

Unread 05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Hi Everyone,

Quick introduction I am 44 andI had a Rad Hyst - on 4/9/07 due to cancer of the uteris. They pretty much took everything-cervix, Overies, and nodes. I came from home from the castle 2 days after sugery. After week one they removed about 6 stiches in my lower wound for fluid drainage and then began packing it with silverlong. I have visting nurses coming everyday to assist with this. We have now progressed to no packing and the nurses are just flushing and changing my dressing on a daily basis. I have what the drs call a tunnell on the left side that is not healing from the inside/out?? The tunnell started at about 10cm and now it is about 8 1/2 CM. I am beginning to get concerned that this is never going to heal. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. I have seen the doc 2 weeks in row and he thinks its getting better. I just don't feel something is right. I was feeling better at the beginning of week 4 but for the last 4 days I have had extreme pain on my upper right side. I have gone back to taking 800 mil of ibuprofen and almost considering taking the pecocet again and I havn't had to take that since about 2 1/2 weeks into recovery. Tommorrow it will be 5 weeks since my sugery. I just don't know if I am expecting too much too soon or pushing myself and not resting enough. I just feel the the last 4 days I have taken a giant step backwards. Anyone else think they were doing ok and then wham feels like your almost back to day one coming home from hospital?? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
kps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Sorry I can't speak with any experience on this. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to go through this. It sound like you have a long road ahead, but you will heal. you've already gone from 10 to 81/2cm. It will just take time and REST. If you think you may be pushing yourself, you most likely are. When I over do it I'm miserable. Then it results in a day of nothing. good luck
Unread 05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Is you doctor aware of this sudden increase in your pain? letting him know would definately be my first step. Take good care of yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps
Hi Everyone,

Quick introduction I am 44 andI had a Rad Hyst - on 4/9/07 due to cancer of the uteris. They pretty much took everything-cervix, Overies, and nodes. I came from home from the castle 2 days after sugery. After week one they removed about 6 stiches in my lower wound for fluid drainage and then began packing it with silverlong. I have visting nurses coming everyday to assist with this. We have now progressed to no packing and the nurses are just flushing and changing my dressing on a daily basis. I have what the drs call a tunnell on the left side that is not healing from the inside/out?? The tunnell started at about 10cm and now it is about 8 1/2 CM. I am beginning to get concerned that this is never going to heal. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. I have seen the doc 2 weeks in row and he thinks its getting better. I just don't feel something is right. I was feeling better at the beginning of week 4 but for the last 4 days I have had extreme pain on my upper right side. I have gone back to taking 800 mil of ibuprofen and almost considering taking the pecocet again and I havn't had to take that since about 2 1/2 weeks into recovery. Tommorrow it will be 5 weeks since my sugery. I just don't know if I am expecting too much too soon or pushing myself and not resting enough. I just feel the the last 4 days I have taken a giant step backwards. Anyone else think they were doing ok and then wham feels like your almost back to day one coming home from hospital?? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
kps
KPS
I'm wondering if you are dealing with the same issues that I did when my son was born. In my particular situation my incision was infected 3 weeks after my 2nd baby was born. The took me back into the OR to drain it, kept me in the hospital for IV antibiotics for 7 days and then dealt with the packing and dressings. When I got home the nurse came daily to clean and pack the wound then lightly cover it. Within a couple of months it was sealing up nicely and the nurse wasn't needed. Unfortunately the dr insisted that the incision had to close on it's own. The guy opened me up from hip to hip so I have a good 10" incision that I had to deal with. I hope this isn't what you are having to do. My incision took nearly a year to fully heal.
If you really something isn't right please tell your doctor you think something is wrong. You would rather have him check it now than be sorry later.
keep us posted.
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanzwisper
KPS
I'm wondering if you are dealing with the same issues that I did when my son was born. In my particular situation my incision was infected 3 weeks after my 2nd baby was born. The took me back into the OR to drain it, kept me in the hospital for IV antibiotics for 7 days and then dealt with the packing and dressings. When I got home the nurse came daily to clean and pack the wound then lightly cover it. Within a couple of months it was sealing up nicely and the nurse wasn't needed. Unfortunately the dr insisted that the incision had to close on it's own. The guy opened me up from hip to hip so I have a good 10" incision that I had to deal with. I hope this isn't what you are having to do. My incision took nearly a year to fully heal.
If you really something isn't right please tell your doctor you think something is wrong. You would rather have him check it now than be sorry later.
keep us posted.

Geez, I am sorry you had to go through that. I have been seeing my doc on a weekly basis. I see the doc tomorrow. I think I need to be asking more questions as to what this is, what the step will be etc. I find that my doc is a man of few words, just comes in looks flushes etc and says its looks much better.
Unread 05-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Newbie-Recovery Question

Hi All

I wanted to Thank Everyone for their replies! I am so happy I found hyster, everyone has been so helpful and the support here is wonderful! Went back to the doc we are still going to continue draining and hopefully by the time I see him in 2 weeks things will be better. I did inquire to the pain I was having on the rightside, they seem to think its scar tissue and that I should continue to take things at a slow pace and not push myself. I did notice though today after doc pressed and proded I am again a little sorer than I was before I went, so I am thinking after last weeks visit when he really pushed, that, that contributed to some of the pain I was feeling over the weekend.

Thanks Again,
KPS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register