My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions

Unread 04-09-2016, 02:33 AM
My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions

Where do I begin, 2007 my nightmare begin with the never ending bleeding caused by fibroids. I suffered a year and decided to go to the Doctor knowing full well what the answer would be and sure enough the doctor sat accross from me with his hand on my knee "lets just take it out sweetie, you don't need it anyway "* and there my fight begin to save my uterus. I walked out of his office and begin my mission to safe my uterus. I was listening to the radio and heard a study that was being done by a doctor in San Ramon ca. I called and volunteered to be a part of the study. The experimental treatment was offered to me by Dr . <> by using Radiofrequency ablation (Acessa™) (only three of the five fibroids qualified for the study the other two were too small) and it worked. I was the first woman to have this procedure done in the U.S. My bleeding stopped and I was able to keep my uterus for another eight years. Here is where my story really begins... The two fibroids that did not qualify for the study eventually grew big enough to cause my bleeding to start back up. I'm 54 and the thought of bleeding out again weeks at a time was not an option for me , I could do Radiofrequency ablation again but I'm just prone to fibroids and didn't want to fight that fight at this point in my life. So it was my decision to have a hysterectomy, my uterus had carried four of my children, two C sections two vaginal births and going through fibroids again was just too much. So I went to the doctor again and once again told "Just take it all out" I agreed with all the talk of cancer in woman over 50 but later that day I was still not sure if I was doing the right thing for me, I still had not went through menopause and I couldn't grasp the fact of taking out my ovaries? So I did some research and found an article written by Dr. <> on Ovary research, it was an answer to my prayers, and for me keeping my ovaries was my best option. The point of my story is to let woman know, you have choices and because history has shown it to be easier just to have a full hysterectomy after your child bearing years that is not always the case. Do your research, know your options and get 2nd 3rd and 4th opinions.* Most of us wouldn't let a doctor cut off our limb without a 2nd opinion, you should feel the same about your uterus and ovaries. Silly as it sounds I'm missing my uterus I feel an empty space inside and mourning my uterus is something I need to go through for me to move forward and I'm okay with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Re: My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions

Oh my goodness. First of all, let me say, you are so brave to share your story. I have gone through meds, a D&C with NovaSure ablation and then another emergency D&C, just this year! The bleeding has come back full force. I am now looking at a full hysterectomy and am wondering about keeping my ovaries or not. My mom is pushing for me to get rid of everything so I never have another problem, but at 43 years old, the onset of immediate menopause scares the hell out of me.. I have about a month to continue my research before making a decision. I just keep praying that the answer/solution will become clear.
Unread 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandycoils View Post
Oh my goodness. First of all, let me say, you are so brave to share your story. I have gone through meds, a D&C with NovaSure ablation and then another emergency D&C, just this year! The bleeding has come back full force. I am now looking at a full hysterectomy and am wondering about keeping my ovaries or not. My mom is pushing for me to get rid of everything so I never have another problem, but at 43 years old, the onset of immediate menopause scares the hell out of me.. I have about a month to continue my research before making a decision. I just keep praying that the answer/solution will become clear.
[quote]
I'm so sorry your going through this my hope for you is that your answer becomes clear for you too. The plus side for me is that cancer does not run in my family , I have had children and I have not had hormone therapy. Its a fact that our ovaries still produce small amounts of estrogen after menopause, so please take the time to do your research and weigh your options.* read the current studies and information on saving your ovaries and talk to your Dr. About your concerns and ask the questions. After all is said and done you will make the best decision for you and thats important. My prayers go out to you my Hyster Sister in your quest for answers .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM

I didn't relize that having a hysterectomy can be very emotional.* So many of the woman I know told me the same thing "No big deal" I beg to differ!* Before my hysterectomy I was scared, confused and questioning my decisions on keeping my ovaries or not. I did my research and made a decision right for me. Then after my hysterectomy I had this over wellming loss along with all the other physical discomforts. Now I was angry and taking it out on others when asked "How to you feel" are you kidding?* How do you thing I feel after having my reproductive organs ripped from my body!.... lol I can laugh now after a couple of weeks recovery because I have come to relize that my uterus did not define who I am, it was there for me as a tool to use or not use. I am still the strong woman God put on this earth. I am grateful to still have a future to write and most important I love me, so I'm going to do my very best to make the rest of my journey in this book of life the best I can.....We can't lock ourselves in the past if we expect to be happy in our future...Rock on Hyster Sisters!
Unread 04-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Re: My Story: Do your research, know your options and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychic91 View Post
I didn't relize that having a hysterectomy can be very emotional.* So many of the woman I know told me the same thing "No big deal" I beg to differ!* Before my hysterectomy I was scared, confused and questioning my decisions on keeping my ovaries or not. I did my research and made a decision right for me. Then after my hysterectomy I had this over wellming loss along with all the other physical discomforts. Now I was angry and taking it out on others when asked "How to you feel" are you kidding?* How do you thing I feel after having my reproductive organs ripped from my body!.... lol I can laugh now after a couple of weeks recovery because I have come to relize that my uterus did not define who I am, it was there for me as a tool to use or not use. I am still the strong woman God put on this earth. I am grateful to still have a future to write and most important I love me, so I'm going to do my very best to make the rest of my journey in this book of life the best I can.....We can't lock ourselves in the past if we expect to be happy in our future...Rock on Hyster Sisters!

Wish there was a "like" button for this post. I haven't even gotten an official on the hysterectomy yet and I am already feeling the loss of my uterus because deep down, I know that's what is best. I keep feeling like I will be less of a woman without my "lady parts" even when I know that's not true. I even secretly feel like people will be able to look at me and know that I don't have them. I know that's silly & foolish, but I do. This is probably one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. People don't understand how it effects you physically and mentally.
Unread 04-17-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandycoils View Post
Wish there was a "like" button for this post. I haven't even gotten an official on the hysterectomy yet and I am already feeling the loss of my uterus because deep down, I know that's what is best. I keep feeling like I will be less of a woman without my "lady parts" even when I know that's not true. I even secretly feel like people will be able to look at me and know that I don't have them. I know that's silly & foolish, but I do. This is probably one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. People don't understand how it effects you physically and mentally.
lol, your are so right about people not understanding but I'm amazed at all the woman on this sight who do. Its definitely a process. I think if you go into surgery with the thought of knowing you did your homework and you come to terms with your decision it makes it a little easier. Bleeding out was just horrible,* I can't tell you how many times it dictated my life for two years and the last time I was close to a blood transfusion.* I had my ablation and life was good for eight years. Then fibroids four and five started bleeding out and thats why I decided it was time. You will be scared, you will have pain, you will feel sad and mad at the same time but for no other reason but that your human. Stay on this sight on you four week break, vent and let it all out and hopefully you will ease the mind of another. I thought mourning my uterus was silly....absolutely Not! It was the best thing I did so I could move forward. .I also lost a couple pounds my uterus was the size of a three month pregnancy lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register