Anyone lose ovaries + have no affect yet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone lose ovaries + have no affect yet? Anyone lose ovaries + have no affect yet?

Unread 06-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Anyone lose ovaries + have no affect yet?

I am only 1 week post-op but at my check up today, my doc seemed so surprised that I had not had any hot flashes or nightsweats. She said that they almost always start within days after surgery and that since I have had nothing like that, there is a good chance that I may be one of the very few with no afteraffects! I know that I have read many times here where those only a few days out have started suffering hot flashes and such and I kept my fingers crossed that I would have a little more time. But doc thinks there is a good chance they won't start at all now. She did make it clear that they could still start in a week or month or year but since they hadn't yet...not to be surprised if they don't! Anyone else have this? Mind me...I am NOT complaining! I was just surprised at that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Rectal pain post-op

I am new here to the sight. I had my hysterectomy one week ago. So far, all is well with not having hot flashes. I do have one problem though, I have pain in my rectum! I had a vaginal hysterectomy and my abdomen does not hurt and I have had no bleeding. I am wondering if any one else has had the problem I do. I have been taking stool softners since I came home and I have had somewhat of a problem going to the bathroom. The pain in my rectum is a shooting pain and hurts especially when I try to go to the bathroom. I did think maybe it could be hemroids but there is nothing there! Other than the pain in my rectum I am not doing to bad. I did notice I can not sleep real well. I am up most of the night! I did have thoughts of did I do the right thing by having my ovaries removed also. Would love to know if others have had my problem. Nice to know there are other women to discuss problems with! Thanks! wlmgram
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:07 AM

Yep, I think I am one of those who had no immediate effects from surgical menopause. I'm 43 and already had night sweats, but that was the only symptom. 4 days after surgery I was awake long enough to remember getting the patches at the drug store, so I went ahead and slapped it on. It is huge, and I am not, so the next refill won't be generic. I don't remember my doctor's instructions about when to wear it, so I thought it best not to let my system go without estrogen too long. No need to bring on the inevidable too soon. My post op appt is still 11 days away and the doc is on vacation until then anyway, so hopefully, I haven't jumped in too soon. Tonight is the 1st time I have had trouble sleeping, which makes this site so great. The questions that run through my head have been addressed in just this one sitting...and besides, the TV might disturb the too protective husband. He'd worry since naps have always been my friend. It is kinda handy that the web is open all night, huh? Just finished a cup of hot coco, so I'll try visiting Mr. Sandman again now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 12:24 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm 45 yrs old and am 4 weeks post-op from the LAVH-BSO and I have had very few "surgical menopause" symptoms yet!
My doctor said (at my 2 week appointment), if I don't have bad symptoms by now, I probably won't. Some of the Sisters have advised me that their symptoms didn't show until 6 weeks.
I'm still waiting...

I will confess to having a few symptoms, but they are relatively mild and manageable:

1- insomnia (dr says this will cease close to 6 weeks) - I don't nap during the day, but some nights I'm wired, other nights I toss/turn. I've found Tylenol PM to be helpful (or just benedryl itself), and valerian root (stinky)-30 drops in warm cocoa, and one of the Sisters mentioned Lunesta (prescription) safer for long term use.

2- headaches - these were a daily event post-op (and I had general anesthetic), but for the first few weeks I'd pop with a headache every afternoon. I have had 2 (yikes) migraine style headaches that awakened me early in the am. (never had one before this surgery.. went away w/2 extra strength Tylenol, but I was suffering for quite sometime and goofy the rest of the day)
*This is most likely due to the decline in estrogen - I'm not on HRT yet - might try to weather this w/o HRT.

3- infrequent warm glows (not even a full blown hot flash), occurring only in the evening.

*I'm not complaining either...feel very lucky so far (with the exception of those migraines!)

My mood is fabulous..happy all the time. My DH says: "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

*At one week post-op I did have some bathroom issues and I believe it was related to hemorrhoids (I was regular, but it hurt a bit - used Tucks medicated wipes per the dr's instructions, it resolved.)

Best of luck to all of you! Visit the Post-Op discussion forum. If you have a specific topic you are curious about, type it in the search box.

Shoozie
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:42 AM

Hi everyone

My op was 11th June and so far I've had only the odd hot flash - nothing I can't cope with at all, and anyhow I had these prior to op so I shan't rush in for hrt just yet. Feeling really great this morning - didn't yesterday though - headachey, v sore bottom and after having a shower and washing hair I was whacked out and needed to lie down !!! but overall soooo much better now!! lost my backache and 'heavy bottom feeling' too. This site is just great - where else can we say what we say, if you get my drift ????????????

Good luck and kind thoughts to everyone.
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:50 AM

I also recall having a day (early on, about 10 days- 2 weeks post-op) when I only took a shower and got sooooo tired I had to go lie down.

I was very discouraged that day - felt like I was seriously backsliding on the recovery! (I think that was the day my boss called and left me a message wishing I'd come back to work soon. Sent him an email reply saying: "Dr says it's inadvisable" )

Sweet dreams to all...I've sipped my cocoa and am relocating to my pillow.

Shoozie
Unread 06-28-2005, 01:51 AM

I've had my ovaries removed 14 1/2 weeks ago and no hot flashes yet!

Unread 06-28-2005, 02:22 AM

Hi, Just want to say I am enjoying reading all the messages from my message! Makes it a little easier knowing I am not the only one with these symptoms! I also like the tid bits of information on what has worked for others! This website is great! Wendy
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:26 AM

Hello. I'm 3 weeks today and TAH/BSO and so far, no symtoms. It's funny how doctors will say totally different things. Mine said that the estrogen usually stays in your body for a while and that she does not usually start HRT until one month post op. I hope your doctor is right, because I've been expecting the symptons to start any day now!

Jean
Unread 06-28-2005, 06:29 AM

Hello
my surgery was may 11th LAVH/BSO,i've never really gotten any hot flashes,i get warm flushes.No major night sweats just a warm feeling,i just stick one foot out of the cover and im fine.My eating habbits changed,i use to be a junk food freak,not any more
the thought of anything sweet turns my stomach.

Lynn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register