I'm not feeling myself -pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm not feeling myself -pre-op I'm not feeling myself -pre-op

Unread 03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not feeling myself -pre-op

I am 37 and have been having pain for years. I assumed it was endo and I've been putting up with it. For the past several months my periods have been every two weeks and heavy with increasing amounts of pain. I just got so sick and tired of being in pain and dealing with it. I decided to share my frustration with my physician who referred me to a gynecologist. Last week I met with her and she feels I more likely have adenomyosis. We scheduled what we hope will be a vaginal hysterectomy for March 7. I cried when she told me, because I was relieved there would be an end in sight.
Here is the deal. I don't know if my level of pain is so much more this time or if I'm just less tolerant of the pain. Less than one week to go for surgery but I find it difficult to go to classes, concentrate on homework or anything. I've been so lethargic the past few months anyhow but I feel so lazy. I'm not affraid of the surgery so it isn't that. I just want to sleep. I reprimand myself for feeling this way. I feel overwhelmed by knowing all of the schoolwork I have to be caught up on, plus all of the cleaning I should be getting done before the surgery. I don't know where to start.
Is it that I finally have a diagnosis so I feel justified in getting some sympathy from my spouse? Am I really that immature? At first I did some crying thinking I was losing my womanhood but I don't think it is that any more. How do I snap out of this to accomplish all that I need to before next week's surgery and all of the recovery time? I am a strong person and brave as well. Is something wrong with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM

i felt the same way, like maybe i was making a better deal out of it and should basically should suck it up.
then i started thinking that for years i thought my periods were normal, that it is normal to be down for like a week every single month and that i had to plan my life around them.
i went ahead and had the surgery, i do not regret it at all. i did not realize until the pain was gone, how much i had been suffering.
Unread 03-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Hello, and

We're happy you joined the Hyster Sisters community! The information on the site is bountiful, and the members here have unlimited hugs to dispense to you at every stage in your journey to good health!

If you haven't do so already, I suggest you click on the word Checkpoints located in the lavender bar at the top of this page. In my opinion, it's among the very best features on the site!

In answer to your question, "is something wrong with me?" I would have to say, "I don't think so." I have observed that people react to stress differently. You say that you feel lazy and want to sleep all the time. I know someone who responds to stress exactly like that. Others get real hyper and can't sleep. Take it easy on yourself -- a hysterectomy can be an emotional surgery, and give yourself some latitude around this time.

Many s and Best Wishes to You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Hey!

I got 8 weeks notice of my TAH. In the UK and on NHS that is quite unheard of!

I freaked, really freaked. DH does nothing round the house. No shopping,nothing. I did a mega shop on home delivery from Sainsburys. Dust and fluff on the carpet we could live with - food we couldn't. I bought 4 months supply of pet food too!

I had all the fears that you had too. I cried after my TAH cause I knew I'd never have anymore children. But I did not want any more children before the op! Work that one out!

I was diagnosed with endo at 18. I am now 40, and had my TAH 9 weeks ago at 39.

I feel great now and cannot believe I put up with all the problems this long! I feel great at the moment!

I know how you feel, and I could not concentrate at work or home either, all I did was worry about the op.

But..... we all survived, we are half way through the stock pile of pet food, we ate the last ready meal tonight in the freezer, after I had been at work all day.

The only thing that hasn't changed round here is the dust! Well, maybe its got a bit thicker!

My thoughts are with you. xx
Unread 03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
same here

also feeling doubts, like is it as bad as i think or am i exaggerating and when he opens me up all will be fine and he will think i am a wimp and my home is going to be trashed and i can't keep up with everything and what if the ice continues tomorrow and it is postphoned ~ thoughts.

And live goes on.
Unread 03-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Sounds like stress and a bit of depression to me.I don't want to do anything but sleep either or lay around.I have 4 kids that need me to do for them, so laying around is out of the question right now.Until my surgury that is!!!
I think maybe just kick back for awhile and really "think" about what is going to be best for you in the long shot.Good luck.
Unread 03-01-2005, 06:55 PM

I know exactly how you feel---I am 27 years old and I was in the hospital with the IV in my hand saying I do not think I want to do this--my doctor said "if you do not want to, you can back out but you will still have your pain" I went through the surgery and am glad that I did--I feel so inspired to tell everbody my story--I am 5 days post op and feel wonderful--I cant even beleive it is over--everything went so smooth and perfect--I feel great I only take pain med maybe 1x a day--I wish you the best of luck
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:54 PM

I know exactly how you feel!! I was also diagnosed with adeno in November and my symptoms have gradually gotten worse over the last 6 months. Now I hurt most of the time, am always exhausted, etc. I can hardly wait for the next 2 weeks to be over.
I am so tired of feeling like this and hurting so much. I miss being ME! I'm a pretty cool chick and I miss hanging out with me. I don't know who this old, decrepit woman I've turned into is, but she can take a hike!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register