Does everyone lose stitches or have smells? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does everyone lose stitches or have smells? Does everyone lose stitches or have smells?

Unread 12-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Does everyone lose stitches or have smells?

Quote:
Oh yeah, I have the bad odor thing going on now, it started when I started spotting, 8 days post op. I have not seen any stiches to date, but I will say since I took a long hot bath yesterday eve. the spotting has slowed down, but mmm, that smell (hey that is a song) I just want to douch, but I won't. I have my 2 week check up on Wed. 27th. Dr. told me no sex or douching for 4 weeks, when he discharged me and no housework, I can drive just not on the percaset. (which I have taken only 3 since I have been home)

I spotted for about 5 weeks when I had my TVH. It's lovely but I can say now at 7 months THERE IS NOTHING! The stitches coming out are not fun but at least when they do you can almost guarantee it is a sure sign you are healing as expected! You may not see anything but the smell is strong enough that you know something is going on!

Percocet was my best friend for those first few weeks! I loved how they didn't make me feel in such a fog.

Merry Christmas to all too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2006, 10:55 PM

Now I'm curious. I went for my 6 week check up last week and my gyn checked and said I still had stiches in my vaginal cuff. I had a LAVH/BSO on 11/1/06 and I have not noticed any stiches or smells. All were removed in surgery, ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix. I assumed that I would be losing the stiches soon and that I would be able to see at least some of them. Do some of them just dissolve and not fall out at all? Or am I just a slow faller outer? I keep looking on the toilet paper hoping to catch a glimpse of one - but so far nothing.
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:03 PM

I was going to ask about the odor. It is annoying me a lot. It helps to know that the odor comes from the stitches. I didn't know that. I am still spotting, though. I and my dh went to Walmart this evening. Boy, it was tough! My back started to ache, and my insides were very upset.

I was wondering if anyone knows or is going through this, since I do not have my cervix I have pain in my lower left side of my back. It feels like back labor pain. I am almost sure it is because of my surgery. Need to know if anyone is going through this.
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM

The odor does go away, I thought I was going to be different and that it wouldnt but it does. It took a couple , actually I think about 3 weeks to go away. I still have a small amount, but not like before.
I also hurt on my left side, and I thought it felt like back labor also. When ever I sit to much or overdo to much, or go to Wal-Mart which I also did, it gets to hurting me. Walking on my TM it hurts. I don't have a cervix either. From what I know is that when you are in surgery they strap your legs in those stir ups. My lower left back and down the back of my legs were hurting me so much I couldn't hardly take it. And it finally dawned on me that was what it was from. I wondered if they folded me in half . When I realized that this was probably what was going on, I was able to relax, and that has helped with the pain.
Unread 12-24-2006, 01:35 PM

I had the odor for 4+ weeks. It started gradually going away and then just vanished, thank goodness! I am 7+ weeks post op and have not passed any stitches and I had a bunch of them with all the repairs I had.
Unread 12-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Thank you for your responses. I am going to call my dr on Tuesday to ask if it is "normal" to hurt like this. I will keep you posted.
Unread 12-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Ruler - we share the same date as you know and I've had no pain since the antibiotics kicked in for my infection, so I think you're wise to call the doctor on this. Try to rest and enjoy Christmas while you wait.
Unread 12-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Andrea,
I will and thanks for your input.

Tammy
Unread 12-24-2006, 05:38 PM

I dont have the "odor" problem but i do see the stitches! Some days i loose a few .. some days i dont loose 1! I can't wait until they are all gone!! At my 2 week post op appt. the doctor did an internal checkup, felt a stitch and showed me what it would look like! I look forward to going pee these days just to see if i loose anymore.. haha!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register