Weight Gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Weight Gain

good evening ladies
i learned i had fibroid tumors from a body scan i had done spring 2001. this past summer, i took hormones for almost 2 months to control menopause symtoms, but stopped when i gained 12 lbs the first 6 weeks, my belly grew, and it became painful. i guess the extra estrogen caused my fibroids to grow.
after talking to a lot of people, i got three medical opinions: hysterectomy, myomectomy and hysterectomy. i will have surgery in january and i don't know yet if it will be myomectomy or hysterectomy, but it will be laparoscopic.
anyways, here's my question:
since i gained the 12 lbs last summer, i have put on another 8-9 lbs, (total weight gain 20lbs) with no significant change in activities, eating habits, etc. not one of the 3 doctors could tell me why! my belly is huge and so uncomfortable, yet the biggest tumor is only 4cm.
did anyone else gain a lot of weight from fibroids, without the actual fibroid being the weight? i feel full, like 5 months pregnant.
bloomers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Weight Gain

well i have went from a size 9 to a size 16 in 1 year i have hated it so much but i was told by other wonman that a cyst even a small one will make ya gain weight my cyst is 7.4cm and i now cant wait to rid of it and the best thing is also kicking aunt flo out the door to never return lol nope to be back into them size 9 jeans by summer huggs
karlene
Unread 12-18-2003, 06:31 AM
weight gain

I also have gained weight, I have 3 fibroids, I don't know why I have gained. But, I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy in January. They can't do mine like yours. Mine has to be done through my abdomen. My uterus, is too big,
I know how you are feeling.

rvquilter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Weight Gain

i gained about 25lbs since july due to the lupron injection. the dr
said it is not because of lupron because lupron dont cause weight
gain. whatever.
Unread 12-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Weight Gain

I also have gained weight, about 15 pounds in the last 9 months, due to a very large Fibroid, I just hope my TAH/BSO will take care of this huge belly I now have, and hopefully can get back into my clothes and not have to wear sweat pants all the time. Vicki
Unread 12-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Weight Gain

Quote:
Originally posted by scotter
i gained about 25lbs since july due to the lupron injection. the dr
said it is not because of lupron because lupron dont cause weight
gain. whatever.
Actually When I was doing Lupron I lost about 8 LBS due to no appitite and that suprised the doctor because he said a side effect of LUpron is weight gain.
Unread 12-18-2003, 10:17 AM
weight gain

Hello.

One possiblity for the weight gain is excess fluid retention. I just had a TAH and the only symptom that presented was an increase in my abdominal girth, my clothes started feeling tighter and I had gained a some weight which I had attributed to getting older.

Looking back I had this weight gain for a few years which increased over a long time, with increasing menstral bleeding, which on my gyn exams was attributed to perimenapusal changes.

It was not until I had an extreme episode of abdominal plus extremity swelling that the weight gain caused some chest pain that an abdominal CT scan was done and an abdominal tumore was found, which even though not huge in size was seen as the cause for my increasing abdominal girth and recent leg swelling.

TAke Care BKJMK
Unread 12-18-2003, 11:39 AM
weight gain

well, thank you!
i have never gained so much weight so suddenly. it seems we do gain weight, but no one can explain it? the surrounding tissue maye bloats up because of the fibroids?
i cannot even stand up straight without holding my belly from underneath. i have taken to wearing tight underwear to give me support. it feels like my belly is falling out over my pubic bone.
hopefully the swelling will decrease. i am going to have the laparoscopic hysterectomy instead of the laparoscopic.
thanks again
bloomers
Unread 12-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Weight Gain

OMG!!! I thought I was going crazy. I have been so religious about diet and exercise since I turned 40 and the metabolism slowed down. Somehow this summer I gained 10 lbs. while working as a hiking guide and doing 5-7 miles a day. Then the same thing happened to me when my ANP put me on BCP to stop the intense bleeding. I gained another 6!

When I saw the ob/gyn on Monday to discuss my problems, she asked why it took me so long to come in. My uterus weighs 800 grams!! She figures it is because I am tall that I could hide it so well.

I am tired all the time. I bleed like a stuck pig and have PMS 3 weeks out of the month. I am SO ready for this to be over. Thank you for being here. This website is such a blessing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register