Only 4 more days at home OMG!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Only 4 more days at home OMG!!!! Only 4 more days at home OMG!!!!

Unread 01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Only 4 more days at home OMG!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

Only four more days, then off to hospital i go!!!!!!!
Beginning to get really anxious, not sure why. Had surgery before, so it's not that. Guess it's the initial post-op pain i'm worried about. Think i've now got everything i will possibly need. Been through my bag AGAIN this morning and no doubt i will again before friday morning.
Roll on this time next week, op will be over and hopefully be at home, or almost ready to come home!!

Michelle xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi Michelle

I don't think any of us get to surgery with out at least one good moment of panic!

It really will be over before you know it and we will be there to welcome you on the post op boards.

Honestly, the waiting is the worst and I didn't have anywhere near the level of pain I was expecting post op.

Wishing you a safe surgery and an uneventful recovery.

Katy
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks Katy

I went to drs on friday, because i haven't been sleeping and when i do, i 've been having really scary dreams, i mean really scary!!! Not about op or anything, but vampires etc. I KNOW, weird!!
Doctor said it's basically stress and anxiety. I did ask if i could have some sleeping tablets, but she said she doesn't like to give them out. She suggested i try some Nytol, first night they didn't work, but i had a better night last night.
It's strange, i didn't think it would affect me like this.
Like you say though, it will be all over before i know it

Michelle xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Hi Michelle

I don't like scary dreams like that at all. Keep taking the Nytol and I will keep my fingers crossed that the scary dreams stay away :-)

I flipped out about a week before too but was very calm by the time I walked in to the hospital.

Hugs

Katy
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM

It's pretty typical to develop high anxiety and weird dreams a few days before surgery. I know I did. I didn't even pack until the night before surgery, because I was afraid that being ready too early would jinx it somehow. And I wasn't ready for the reality of going to the hospital and having surgery.

The waiting is the hardest for most of us, so welcome to the club!
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Michelle, panicking is so common. We never know how our minds and bodies will respond, it seems as if it is out of our control.
I was so in the zone, felt calm and ready, no nerves for me. But on the day of my almost surgery [ cancelled after 5 hours in the pre-op] I was so weepy. I am not sure why, I didn't think I was nervous but there I was, crying.
Here's the thing though, once I was in the pre-op room and there was lots of activity, I actually felt more at peace because there was so much for me to do.
I think I am most nervous about not being able to do all the things I normally do for quite some time. I will have roses to prune and things to plant, my house work, you know, it goes on and on.
I think I am being rescheduled for this Fri. as well, so I will get a few more things done and enjoy, but, I feel much braver now that I know what to expect, at least before the surgery. We will be fine and next week we can post on the post -op board, kind of like a right of passage.

God bless you and give you peace and calm this week, may you sleep well and deeply with soothing encouraging dreams.
Kris
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:29 AM

I can really relate.

I remember having this odd feeling before my surgery -- like I was the only person this had ever happened to. Of course, this made no rational sense whatsoever, partly because I was already a member here at (((Hystersisters))) so I knew very well that many, many had gone before me.

I remember one thing that really helped me through the last few days. And you've already started it a little, so you're ahead of the game. My dh and I started "futurizing" it. Instead of worrying about the pain I'd be in when I woke up from surgery (which I really couldn't control anyway, right?) he'd say to me, "Just think -- in a week, you'll be home from the hospital already!" Or instead of panicking about how big the incision would be (again, no control about that whatsoever) he'd say, "You know, you'll probably be back to work two months from now." It sounds corny -- but it worked.

Now... I really was in a great deal of pain after my surgery. Don't know if it was the panniculectomy (which meant a hip-to-hip cut) or what -- but it was pretty rough for a while. Unlike other (((sisters))), waiting was NOT the hardest part for me!

I'm not telling you this to scare you or make you worry more, but instead I'm telling you this to say that I made it through! And boy, when I had that first pain-free few hours (a couple of weeks out from surgery) I felt like I had won the lottery.

Take some time these last few days and make sure you do something special just for you, OK?
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Know how ur feeln

Hi Michelle,

Hope today finds you a little less stressed out! It's just natural that you'd be feeling a bit wound up with the op closing in. I've just found out that I'm for TAH and bilateral removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes. Bit of a shock as I was hoping that a laparoscopy would have done since they've been able to treat my endometriosis that way on three other occasions. I'm having a bit of a panic too!

Think positively : Where you now have only three days to worry yourself sick, I on the other hand have 6 weeks. [giggle] See every cloud does have a silver lining sometimes its a bit harder to see than others that's all.

My thoughts are with you as I'm sure the are rest of the sisters so worry not!!

When I get really stressed I find that a hot bath with Lavender oil accompanied by a glass of wine helps. [I'm an Irish girl wot can I say]

Here's wishing you a restful night with peaceful dreams from me and my two mutts Lucky n Jodie

sally
xoxo
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi Girls

Thank you sooo much for your replies, that means a lot to me.
Thankfully i have had a decent couple of nights sleep now. I'm really trying my best to stay calm, it's not always easy, but i'm giving it a go.
My hubby has been wonderfully supportive, i'm lucky. I'm just trying to catch up on all my little jobs around the house, almost there!!
Wednesday or thursday( not sure which) my brother is visiting and we are taking mum out to lunch, as it's her birthday on the 4th Feb, this is the only chance we'll get to be all together, so that will be nice.

Michelle xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register