Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO

Unread 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO

I was told today that I need a total hysterectomy, ovaries, cervix included. Has anyone had this done using the Da Vinci method? What are the reasons for keeping the cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Re: Seeking input from those who had da Vinci hysterectomy

Hi steps and

We’re happy to make your acquaintance! You will discover a ton of solid information on the site, and members with unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

You can also take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles.

You might benefit from browsing through the Tell Your Hyst-Story section. The stories are sorted by the type of surgery that was performed so it's easy to find those that tell about the type of hysterectomy you are scheduled to have.

In answer to your question: There aren't any proven benefits to retaining the cervix, which is part of the uterus. A fairly recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. Prior to having my hysterectomy, while going about my daily routine of life, I never was “aware” of my cervix, just as I am unaware of other internal organs. So losing my cervix hasn’t made any difference to me. (Except that I never need to have annual PAP smears, which is a relief since that's not an activity I ever enjoyed.)

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Unread 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Re: Seeking input from those who had da Vinci hysterectomy

Hi Steps,

I'm ten days post-op from a DaVinci assisted vaginal hyst (and a bunch of other stuff too) and am doing great - getting stronger each day and will be able to drive this coming Thursday. My cervic was removed (it had fallen out so I couldn't keep it) and I only have one ovary, which stayed. My surgery was on Tuesday morning, I went home Thursday evening (I had a longer stay due to the additional stuff I had done in addition to the hyst). I have five DaVinci incisions which are healing nicely. I do have an abdominal binder and have found it very helpful in avoiding straining my tummy. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I or the other sisters will be glad to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Re: Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO

Hi,
I had a laproscopic supra cervical hysterectomy with the DaVinci Robotics on Wednesday. My ovaries and cervix stayed in place. I decided to leave the cervix in as there was no problem with it, and I might benefit from the muscle support within the cervix later on ( all my organs seem to be heading south), and I wanted to be as conservative as possible.
The surgery went great for me, I woke up with almost no pain, was up on my feet just a few hrs later and went home the next day. Today, day two after surgery, I took a walk around the block already. I am very happy to have insisted on the laproscopic procedure.
Unread 04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Re: Seeking input from those who had da Vinci TLH/BSO

I had a da vinchi in Feb. It was my 3rd surgery on my abdoman area in 2 years. The first was a c-section. Then I had a lap(2 incisions). Then I had the da vinchi(4 incisions). This was the easiest recovery so far. Compared to my othere hystersisters in my surgery date group, I think surgery wise I have recovered faster. I was up and walking a lot sooner, and more. I am 8 weeks out. I only got true swelly belly like once from overdoing it. And I still get a little tired, but I have other things causing that. I would highly recommend it. It is more precise and the recovery time is much faster. I also am glad my cervix was taken because I read you can get mini periods, and who wants that! I also had many abnormal paps and didn't want to face that again. As far as intimacy goes, my husband can't tell if its any shorter down there without a cervix(and I'm not implying he's small...far from it!)
Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register