TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you? TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you?

Unread 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you?

Hi all -
I'm 41 and going in next week for TAH/BSO and cervix.
I also have Lupus and Fibromyalgia - so pain control / management can be an issue & I take pain meds regularly, so I have a higher tolerance.
I don't mind the surgery - I'm a bit excited..but I'm wondering if ladies w/ TAH/BSO can give me any info on:
1. how long their hospital stay was
2. what kind of incision you had/ how much did it bug you
3. How long were you on pain pump vs. oral meds

Thanks in advance. This community is the BEST and has made a world of difference for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Re: TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you?

peapodd33,

You will hear this alot... everyone is different. I had a TAH (kept my ovaries) with a horizontal incision on 2/23 at Noon and spent 2 nights in the hospital. I had an overall sensitivity in the area of the incision that went away after about a day and a half. Any contact with the skin in my lower abdominal area was painful for me, but other than that, the incision itself has not been painful at all since then. Yes, the staples tugged a little, but it was not bad at all.

My goal was a one night stay, but I realized the first morning that was not possible. My catheter was removed early the first morning (6 AM or so), and the Dr. said at about 7:00 that we would switch over to oral pain medicine that morning since it would be effective longer. The pain pump was removed fairly early that morning, but I still received Toradol at about 11 AM through the IV site since I was still in some pain. After that Motrin and Percocet worked just fine as long as I took them on schedule.

After I got home, I cut down on the Percocet, and now am just taking Motrin when I need it (not very often). I took Motrin about an hour before having staples removed today and did not feel any pain at all.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM

I had a TAH about 6 wks ago and I was in the hospital three days post surgery, my incision is vertical and it runs from just below my belly button down--it is only tingly right now. It was irritating the days after surgery; mainly the area near my crotch--staples digging into me.

I was on pain medications for the first two weeks (Percocet) and now I take Advil as needed. The hospital gave me pain meds via the IV whenever I needed according to the pain scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks sooo much lovebeaches and lstewart14!
I know everyone is different, but i'm one of those "knowledge is power" people & I love & really, really appreciate the input!
Plus, then the hubby can read and not be so worried!
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Good Evening to all,

Hospital stay was 2.5 days (Wednesday to friday at 6:00pm)

Bikini cut incision- left hospital with steri strips and within 2 weeks I had to take them off. The incision never really caused me any problems or pain-alittle numb but that is common

Pain meds well i dont remember too much of my hospital stay so i guess I was on the good stuff(supposingly I was on a drug that was alot stronger than morfine!-not sure what the name of it was) It was admistered through a pain pump so you can just push the button when needed! Also i had problems resting-breathing problems so I was also given Valium..Sent home with percots and only had to use them 2 days after I got home! Not much surgery pain, just constipation pain!

Good luck to you on March 12th-I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
TAH 3/12- how long hospital recovery for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapodd33 View Post
1. how long their hospital stay was
2. what kind of incision you had/ how much did it bug you
3. How long were you on pain pump vs. oral meds
It does vary for everyone but I'll give you my scenerio too.

1. I was in early Fri morning & home Mon afternoon. I had no complications & they even did cancer testing.

2. I had a vertical incision & I had stitches & it was ok while I was drugged up. Annoying & slightly painful afterwards and better once the stitches were out.

3. I was on a pain pump for 36 hrs & oral meds the rest of the time.
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Hey there! I'm 42.

I was in on the 23rd and out the afternoon of the 25th. I was on a morphine drip the 1st day. Switched to percocet and Motrin on the 24th (do NOT take percocet/Motrin on an empty stomach!!). Catheter removed at 10:30 p.m. on the 23rd at my request. No bladder issues so far.

I had a fair amount of pain initially, but got it under control with morphine.

I'm now just on Motrin - didn't even get my percocet script filled once coming home. Everyone is different, though, so if you need it, by all means take it!

Make sure you have your trusty stool softeners at home! They were invaluable to me. You may not need them, but you'll be glad they're there if you do.

I pray that all goes well for you! You will get through it and be so glad to be on the road to recovery.

HUGS!!

Gwen
Unread 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM

I was in the hospital 2 nights. It would have been one, but my bowels didn't wake up in time so he kept me over the 2nd night.

I had a horizontal incision, with glue. It has never bothered me, but I do still have a hard spot right under it (I'm 11 weeks out).

I had the pain pump the first night, but barely used it. The worst pain for me was when the catheter bag was too full and I had pressure on my bladder. The first morning the cath was taken out and pain pump disconnected, and I only needed one Vicodin for the reaminder of my time in the hospital. Only a few after I got home. It was WAY easier than I anticipated.

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM

I had a TAH BSO on Feb 9th...went in on Tues morning came home Thursday evening..had a spinal so Dr kept me on nothing by mouth till midnight after surgery to avoid vomiting and then liquid diet for 24 hours..

I had no pain pump just Toradol IV until I could take meds by mouth and then Percocet and Motrin alternated.....Pecocet gave me severe nausea...the minute you feel any nausea tell your nurse...I had wonderful nurses but at times would take them a few minutes to get the nausea meds to me and it was almost too late a couple times! I have a very high pain tolerance and was only taking a half dose of the Percocet and was still causing nausea...yuck! Once I was home I stopped the Percocet and just took Motrin.

I had a vertical incision with 24 staples ...staples stayed in a week and then steri strips...I will say that if you have any reactions to earrings to tell your doc...I can't wear earrings due to the metal and didn't think to tell my doc therefore had a bad reaction to the staples as they are metal...oops! Other than the reaction the incision wasn't that bad...very tender and have to wear yoga/lounge pants still but other than that okay :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register