Nerves and smoking - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nerves and smoking Nerves and smoking

Unread 01-18-2003, 09:33 AM
local junior college is offering hynosis for smoking cessation

think the fee is $25 so going to check if they still have openings. Three months post op from my hyster and if I have any say, I am not entering an operating room for the rest of my life! Twelve trips in five years is enough already. Okay, I might make an exception for a face lift in 10 years. LOL!

Gary the gas man I usually use isn't too new agey at all. I don't think he has a clue how to do hypnosis, acupuncture or anything besides anesthesia drugs. The castle nurse did tell me they had their first hypnosis/acupuncture assisted childbirth the week before my surgery and the patient had to sign waivers left and right plus stage a coup to get alternative care for her birth plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Nerves and smoking

I want to make sure everyone reads trish's post on the subject of quitting before surgery: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=87252

It's another one of those things to check with your DR about first!

Best wishes!
Unread 01-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Nerves and smoking

I also was a smoker. My surgery was originally scheduled for 2 weeks from now, but has since been rescheduled for Feb. Anyway, I was told to quit because it can cause blood clots during surgery. I was having trouble and smoking about 4 to 6 a day up until about 4 days ago.

I just decided my life was more important then this stinking habit. I had 3 the next day, 2 the next and then 1 yesterday, well not even a whole one. I got really dizzy and put it out. Today I don't even want one. It's really my mind not my body that wants them. It is easier to quit if you put it into perspective.

Who is in control of your life, you or the cigarette? Think about your future as a hacking, asthmatic or on oxygen, if you have kids think about being around for their kids. Just some motivators. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-18-2003, 09:22 PM
smoking

hello,
I quit on jan first. i have quit before but i would buy a pack and tell myself that i would just have a couple more. this time i did not give myself that option anymore. if you do not have them you can not smoke them. i do have friends and family that smoke, and again bumming one from them is no longer an option.

We all have some kind of medical troubles or we would not be on this web site. i want this to be my last major medical problem. if we keep smoking we might as well start a website for smoking related health issues too. i love all the support from hystersisters but i do not want to have to find another site for lung cancer down the road.
Unread 01-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Nerves and smoking

I was a pretty heavy smoker until very recently, just about a pack a day. I decided that it was time to quit even before I found out that I would need to have my surgery. I asked my DR about taking the pills that help for smoking cessation, and I must say that this has been the best thing I've ever done! I was able to stop smoking within days without the desire to have a cig, no anxiety etc. I must confess that I do have one (maybe half) every once and a while. But this only reminds me that I do not wish to be a smoker any longer. For whatever reason they found that this anti-depressant stopped the desire to smoke.

You may want to ask your DR about this if this sounds like a good alternative to the patch or gum for you. And with this it does not put the nicotine in your system since that is what we are all trying to break the addiction for. *I am not intending to offer medical advice, this is only what did the trick for me!!*

Good luck with whatever you do, and I totally agree with Ladybuggin73 that the need for a lung cancer site is really not something I wish to be a part of.
Unread 01-19-2003, 03:53 AM
Quitnet.com

Hi Shel35 .... I am in the same position as you, also. I was given my castle date of Feb. 5th back in November. I had (and still have) every intention of quitting before then. I'm a long term smoker -- almost 30 years -- smoking almost 2 packs a day. Quitting isn't an easy thing. I've tried everything from the patch to the gun to hypnosis to cold turkey to cutting down. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask about some prescription help. If you try enough times, one of those times has just gotta work. I found a very good website that has helped many many people .... Quitnet.com. Maybe check that out if you want. I wish you the best of luck and everyone else in this situation. Take care and keep us posted!
Sue
Unread 01-19-2003, 05:12 AM
I quit smoking before surgery

Hi Shel35: I did quit smoking before surgery. I had smoked about a pack and a half for about 20 years. I had my pre op chest x-ray and got a call the next am saying I needed to get a CT scan cause the radiologist saw something that concerned him on the x-ray. This was 6 days pre-op. So I had to go to my regular dr. to get referral to hospital for CT scan of my lungs. Boy was I scared. My poor DH (a former smoker who quit 5 yrs. ago) was beside himself too, my Mom has lung cancer from smoking. She has had it re-occur for the 4th time now. I had the CT scan that am and got a call 8 hrs. later that it looked like scar tissue from a case of pnumonia I had had before. But to be sure my gyn who was doing the surgery wanted me to see pulmonary dr. to get clearance for surgery. So the next am I was in his office. He had me do some breathing tests and looked at both the x-ray and CT scan. He said it was old scar tissue.....but he showed me the CT scan where I had permanently damaged my lungs and have what is the very early stages of emphysema (sp?). I had not smoked since the call to get the CT scan and that CT scan convinced me to quit for good. I was so scared. I have not had a cig since Oct. 29 and I haven't even craved one. That's how bad it scared me. I even go outside with my co-worker while she takes a smoke break and it doesn't even bother me. And I feel great. I can smell better and taste things so much better. I am even quitting my job of 6 1/2 years so I can be less stressful. I will be helping my husband with his business. This hyster was the best thing that could have happened to me. All those tests and horrible periods got me to where I am. I would still be smoking if not for the grace of God. I am glad I had so much trouble or I might be looking for a website for lung cancer for myself as well. Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to give you some encourgement. You have to have the willpower to quit. But some people need the patch, gum, script (which I did quit with once). Do whatever works for you....try everything. Just keep in mind how much better you will feel WHEN you do quit. I believe that anyone can quit but you have to want to and seek out help. Now I'm going to get off the soap box and go drink coffee with my DH. Feel free to e-mail me anytime @battyjunior@hystersisters.com. Hope everyone feels better today than yesterday.

LaDonna
Unread 01-19-2003, 02:56 PM
thanks

My pre-op is this tuesday at the hospital and after that is with the family doctor so i am going to ask her if i was to quit a few daysbefore surgery if that will help or make it worse.. I am not worried about having a cig. after surgery and i hoping that will help me to guit. I think its when i get home could be a problem. Maybe not becuase we dont having any smoking in our house. When i was in my 20's i was diagnosed with tachycardia(racing heart) i had t ohave surgery and 15 mins before my surgery i had a cig. but i was younger then i am older now.lol... also 2 years ago i had lung collaspe and that did scare me but i quess not enough to guit. I just want a smooth recovery.... i worry, i can take pain some what and that isnt what makes me scared its just the fact i have this awful habit of smoking... boy i am glad i dont drink....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register