Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much? Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much?

Unread 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much?

I have a fibroid in the wall of my uterus that has grown from 2 cm in February to 5 cm in June. Because of the location of the fibroid, my doctor has suggested that a hysterectomy is really the best option. Preserving fertility is not a concern. I am 43 years old, and so menopause is a ways off.

My periods have been wacky since last fall - before that I had always been VERY regular. And now, I have been bleeding more or less constantly for the last 5 weeks.

So, I am thinking seriously about having a hysterectomy sometime relatively soon.

My immediate question though, is this - I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 6 months. While I know that I have not been eating totally healthy, this is crazy weight gain for me. I am huge around my middle - really thick. None of my clothes fit all of a sudden.

Since my fibroid is only 5cm, it seems unlikely that the fibroid is causing my increased size, but it just doesn't feel like "normal" weight gain.

Is it normal for a body to change so much due to a 5cm fibroid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Re: Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much?

Hello fellow sister,
I too have fibroids that are growing as well as complex hyperplasia. I am 45 years old, have had and raised my children and ready for a Hysterectomy. Around November-December I started noticing slight weight gain, thought it was the holidays even though I did not over indulge. I have now gained 25 pounds and my diet consists of protein drinks, vegies and lots of water. Nothing I do can shake the weight. I too feel it is because of my uterine issues. I have talked to my doctor and she doesn't have a clue. My thyroid and hormone levels have tested "regular." Well, how come I have hot flashes, night sweats and other stuff if the test are normal? I do not believe the tests are accurate. I can't fit into any clothes, I purchase another size up and then a month later can't fit into those. So I have purchased some dresses that can easily expand with me. I hope after my surgery my body will return to normal (?). Anyway, if you discovery any new News, let in on it. Thanks. Hugs.
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Legalkttn, Thanks for replying! What size are your fibroids? My ultrasound only showed the one. I am worried that if it keeps growing and if I keep gaining weight I will really start to look pregnant. As it stands now, I am going to need to buy some new clothes probably. I am thinking of trying Atkins diet - I lost a bunch of weight with Atkins about 8 years ago. It is the only diet that has ever really worked for me. Before I started gaining this weight I was a size 6 and I'm probably a size 10 now.

I also have night sweats - and my doctors haven't had any suggestions as to why. Also pain in my left hip/buttock area. Basically, I feel like a mess right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Last I knew I believe the one measured was 3cm, only one inch but I have another in the middle layers. No diet has worked for me as and have them all. I would go back to your doctor and ask about your options. Best wishes. Hope you will get the help you need.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Can a 5 cm fibroid cause my body to change this much?

A fibroid can absolutely contribute to weight gain. I had a procedure called ufe when fibroid was almost 9cm. This stopped it from growing and it has shrunk by more than half with more shrinkage expected. Fibroids make an enzyme that is very similar to estrogen. Get treatment of some kind as it will only get worse.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by legalkttn View Post
Hello fellow sister,
I too have fibroids that are growing as well as complex hyperplasia. I am 45 years old, have had and raised my children and ready for a Hysterectomy. Around November-December I started noticing slight weight gain, thought it was the holidays even though I did not over indulge. I have now gained 25 pounds and my diet consists of protein drinks, vegies and lots of water. Nothing I do can shake the weight. I too feel it is because of my uterine issues. I have talked to my doctor and she doesn't have a clue. My thyroid and hormone levels have tested "regular." Well, how come I have hot flashes, night sweats and other stuff if the test are normal? I do not believe the tests are accurate. I can't fit into any clothes, I purchase another size up and then a month later can't fit into those. So I have purchased some dresses that can easily expand with me. I hope after my surgery my body will return to normal (?). Anyway, if you discovery any new News, let in on it. Thanks. Hugs.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Hi ladies, I've got a party, the main 9,5 cm and a couple of friends around the 3.5 mark. My uterus is now the size of someone 7 months pregnant and I'm very eager to pass the next three weeks calmly until surgery. I too have them embedded in the uterine muscle, not the lining which is more common. My periods have become intolerable, but other symptoms are back pain, pelvic pain, that feeling of heaviness and the need to empty my bladder more often. I find that I bloat so much more that I actually need to wear bigger clothes. At this point due to location they are pushin on my diaphragm and stomach so i get out of breath bending over and cant really eat anything but small meals. Mine grew from one 3.5 cm two years ago to this party. My waist is at least 4 inches larger and I'm 20 lbs heavier. Granted I can't really exercise right now but all the growth has been at my middle. Yes I can believe your fibroids could have done this to your body. Dr says I probably will not lose more than a pound or two from the surgery, but I should shrink up a bit because ill no longer be carrying around a swinging bowling ball of a uterus. I'm sorry you are facing this at a young age, I'm 45, which I still don't think of as older, but yes you are still in typical reproductive years and I know this type if decision is difficult. I'm keeping ovaries and cervix as all has tested healthy. My mom had the same surgery when she was in her late 30s, she's now 82, still trim, dancing and walking daily and has a new boyfriend! So I'm looking forward to not having daily pain and gettin my life back as she assures me I will. It's a hard decision but in my experience I should have had this taken care of before this. My endo two years ago had the dr (I've got a new one thank goodness) and insurance said it wasn't medically necessary and would only cover hormonal treatment that would put me into menopause. No way, I'm not playing with healthy ovaries and I was not ready to try a treatment that MAY work, it's not foolproof. So these two years have been a hard journey and I've missed out in some things because of my issues. From somebody that has a little hindsight, take action before they keep growing. Now I'm gonna go back to my waiting an daydreaming of the return of exercise, hope this helped some.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register