Colonoscopy 21 days post-LSH -- too soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Colonoscopy 21 days post-LSH -- too soon? Colonoscopy 21 days post-LSH -- too soon?

Unread 05-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Colonoscopy 21 days post-LSH -- too soon?

Had a very unpleasant experience yesterday when I had a colonoscopy (I had three previously, no problems, due to family cancer history), 21 days after my LSH. The LHS was originally ordered by a second-opinion Gyn. because I have been having severe lower-right quadrant cramps for over three years, and ultrasound showed multiple fibroids growing through a pelvic muscle, pressing against my bladder and right leg nerves. The robotic LSH outpatient surgery went well, I stayed overnight in the surgery center, and was released early the next a.m. I stayed at a friend's first- floor home since I live up 14 stairs, but for only two nights, after which time I went home. Walking backwards up (and down, a week later) the stairs leading up to my condo was not difficult. 17 days post-op, I still had some discomfort wearing any clothing tight at my waist, and even the belt on my robe would cause my belly to become distended, and the incision at my navel was very tender. Unfortunately, the same cramps I experienced before I had the LSH persisted. My Gyn. had observed no exterior-bowel abnormalities during the robotic LSH, so he released me to proceed with my scheduled colonoscopy to see if I had obstruction or polyps. Before the G.I. physician proceeded, upon hearing I was 21 days post-LSH, he said I may have adhesions from the recent hysterectomy surgery. I woke up after the procedure and was ok until I tried to bend at the waist, getting dressed to leave. My driver came back twice, and I was moaning and crying with the sharp pains in my abdomen, which was worse than after the LSH, and couldn't be released to go home. My upper and lower abdomen looked like a football was inside me and I felt nauseous. Two hours after waking, the gastroenterologist finally advised me to go to the ER at the nearest hospital for a C.T. scan, and the nurse told me that my condition occurred in 1 out of 600 procedures. It felt like it might be gas, but I could not expel any or even burp. Several trips to the bathroom to no avail, the more I bore down to expel anything (I was empty after the colonoscopy prep), the worse the pain. Finally, I called my driver back and had her sign me out. Once outside and walking to her car, I began to feel better, so we walked around the parking lot for 15 minutes, and the pain subsided by itself over a six-hour period. Has anyone experienced this type of reaction soon after a hysterectomy? (The diagnosis of the colonoscopy was diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon.) Could I have adhesions so soon after a hysterectomy? Could the gas inserted in my abdomen for the colonoscopy have damaged the cauterization where my uterus was cut away from my cervix and my ovaries/tubes? I am not bleeding (and did not bleed even after the LSH), but still feel very tender inside, and am having intermittent sharp pains in my right side waist-high any time I bend at the waist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Re: Colonoscopy 21 days post-LSH -- too soon?

Wow - sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal yesterday. For me, I would say that a colonoscopy 21 days post was definitely too soon! You're a real trooper for agreeing to that! If you did have adhesions starting (bowels to surgery sites), the colonoscopy probably didn't do much more than pull them loose. The real test as to whether there is a problem with your surgery sutures or not would be if you have any unusual pain/bleeding so definitely keep an eye out for that. For your pain and swelling yesterday, it definitely sounds like gas - which, in my case, was worse pain than the incision pain after my TAH so I could see gas pains making you cry. Since you were able to "walk it off" I doubt it was something serious. Please take care of yourself and obviously go to the ER if something seems terribly wrong, but it just sounds like yesterday was a case of "overdoing it", albeit not with housework but with a colonoscopy Good luck to you AntoniaR!
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Dumb Luck - Thank you for your encouraging reply. I am so happy I found this site! A very independent woman, I am hesitant to see a doctor for every little thing, and several of my so-called friends have bragged to me about their hysterectomies being a "piece of cake", "two-weeks-back-to-normal", "easiest thing I ever had done" as though it was as simple as brushing your teeth -- and then told me "it's nothing, you can handle it", making me feel like a whiner and a crybaby. Don't women know this is being mean? I live alone up stairs and the hardest challenge of any surgery I've had is to get a ride there and back. At the same time, I hate to ask anyone for any favors and have always been available when my friends needed anything. I really appreciate your support and wish you a speedy recovery back to a full and happy life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2011, 07:43 PM

I hear you AntoniaR: I am a VERY independent woman as well and I take care of lots of crazy chores around the house (heavy lifting, all-day yardwork, clearing snow from our 75 foot driveway - by myself!) and I'm sorry, but a hysterectomy - any which way you want to get one - is major surgery and needs to be respected as such. Anyone who tries to poo-poo it to my face will receive a look of incredulity! I'm a pretty hearty individual but I know I'm not Superwoman. On the other hand - I don't doubt they exist. Maybe your friend WAS back to normal in 2 weeks and I'm happy for her, but the fact that she doesn't realize that her personal experience is NOT the norm just means that she doesn't have a good understanding of the human body. Don't be afraid to tell your friends how lucky they were and that you wish you had had their wonderful hysterectomy experiences and also don't be afraid to let them know that yours is not so rosy. This is your time of need - hopefully your friends are just that - people who will be there for you now. Thanks for your well wishes too. Keep us posted on your recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register