Pre-Op "Butting In Again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op "Butting In Again Pre-Op "Butting In Again

Unread 11-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

My surgery is Monday and I'm scheduled for 8:30, but they've told me to be there at 6:30. My question is WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO YOU ALL THAT TIME!!!

I mean, I have my little prep sheet from my doctor. And I know they'll get me in a gown and get an IV in. But that takes two hours?! Oh, and they won't put any "funny juice" in my IV until my doctor talks to me.

I hate surprises. I hate surprises. Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks to this website I've worked through so much. I should just go read some of the surgery stories. But I feel kind of frozen...

Thanks for your input!!

Cathy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

Hi Cathy

In my case, the 2 hours were reduced to about 1 because the operating room was available early.

When I got there, they checked vitals, took blood (and I have NO veins, so that took a while), then down to preop to wait for results...and then I went into the operating room.

Could it be that you may have to sign some last minute papers?

Believe me, I understand your frustration and fear....

z
Unread 11-28-2002, 08:13 PM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

Hi Cathy

DO NOT SWEAT. Those two hours go pretty quickly. When I arrived (I was in a private room) I got shown how the TV, bed, tea/coffee facilities, shower etc. worked. I had my temperature, blood pressure etc. taken and had my pubic area shaved with an electric razor (this was no sweat either). There was quite a bit of paper work for the nurses to get thru (nothing for me). I have heaps of allergies so that took some time. I didn't have an IV put in then either, they did this in theatre. The time went really quickly actually...nurses were buzzing in and out. You'll be pleasantly surprised I hope.

All the very best for Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2002, 08:16 PM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

I thought I was lucky since I was scheduled for surgery number 2 that day. I got there at 530 am, changed into the gown, told they'd come get me around 8 am - then waited in my room until 11 am when they finally got me in (I got bumped a few times or that's what I was told).

When it was finally my turn, I was then taken to the OR prep area where the IV was started and that all took maybe 25 minutes - while they questioned me again about alergies etc. Then the anesthesiologist gave me something in the IV, started wheeling me to the OR, I looked up and said "wow this stuff works fast" and have no clue what happened after that lol. The waiting was the worst!
Unread 11-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

I had the first surgery of the day at 7:30 am. I was told to arrive at 5:30 - I was a little late, 5:45. They had me fill out some forms, did chest xray, EKG, and put in the IV. They took me to the OR about 7:00 where I met gas lady and answered more questions. They explained a new law that medical history had to be taken within 24 hours of surgery, since my pre -op appt was the Friday before my Mon. surgery it had to be redone. My dr. held my hand and reviewed with me everything he was going to do before I went under. He was so sweet! The shaving, catherter, etc was done after I was asleep - yea! For me the two hours went really fast.
Jul
Unread 11-29-2002, 06:34 AM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

I, too had to be there at 5:30 a.m. - - surgery was at 8. Had to sign (MORE) papers, then sit in a waiting room. Then had to go up to surgery waiting room and sit. Then had to change into a gown and lay on a bed and wait some more. Then had to get the IV in. And wait some more. Then had to get wheeled up to some other pre-op place and lay there and wait some more. Then the anesthesiologist came and asked a bunch of questions. Waited some more. Then nurse came and asked a bunch of questions, Iwaited some more, then my doctor showed up and talked for a few minutes and then I waited some more.

So, you see, you will only be actually involved in some activity for about 7 minutes; the other 2 hours and 23 minutes will be waiting.

The shave, the catheter, etc. was all done after I was sound asleep.
Unread 11-29-2002, 06:43 AM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

Hi Cathy!

My surgery was scheduled for 10:30 and I had to be there at 8:30. It was all a case of "Hurry up and wait" for me. I checked in at Admin, went up to the Surgery floor, got into my gown and waited. And waited. I think it's like the airports... they just want to make sure you're there and they can take you earlier if the schedule allows.

All the shaving and prep work was done to me while I was out. It was a breeze.

Hope this answers your question!

Unread 11-29-2002, 07:17 AM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

Ah, yes. I'd almost forgotten about The Shave. Never had that done before. If they do it while I'm awake is it inappropriate to insist they sing "Getting to Know You"? (Just kidding...) Maybe I could ask for a stylish bikini type thing. Except I'll never wear a bikini again. I went for my pre-op visit and the nurse asked if I had any scars and I answered, "Well, I have stretch marks that glow in the dark. Does that count?" She starting laughing and said she didn't think it did. But I imagine myself afterwards with my floppy marked belly and my scar and perhaps shaved as well - I invision kind of a plucked chicken affect. Don't worry, it doesn't depress me. It almost amuses me. I mean if you're going to look silly, why not look REALLY silly. I don't like to do things half way.

The blood test went amazingly well. The hospital is brand spanking new - a smaller satellite of one of our larger hospitals. It seemed so much less hectic than the main hospital. And everyone was so nice.

And in spite of feeling "frozen" I did go read some Hyster Sister stories about operations - and it made me feel better. I can cope with anything, but I hate not knowing. And today at my pre-op they gave me this three page grid - kind of what to expect at each point along the way. I love things like that.

Thank you so much for sharing. It helped so much. I do tend to "freeze up" when I panic, so it was so nice to be spoon fed information before I thawed enough to just go read! LOL!!

I'm really fond of you people. It's a great "club" but the inniation (sp?!) ritual is a bit severe...

Three days and counting!!

Cathy B.
Unread 11-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

My surgery was the first surgery of the day at 7:30, I had to be there at 5:30. I took a reader's digest back with me, I found it to be the perfect distraction in between the papers, questions, etc from the nurse and the a-man. It kept my mind off of things and it is the type of reading material that is easy to put down and pick up again. Good Luck!!
Unread 11-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Pre-Op "Butting In Again

My surgery was the first of the day at 7:30am. I was told to be there at 5:30am and I must agree with Patricia{Mudbugs} that you pretty much sit around waiting. I signed some papers and got told to change into the hospital gown, they took some blood and then I sat waiting for a good hour for them to wheel me into another room where I spoke with the anesthesiologist and he put in the I.V. The doctor then made a short visit and gave the o.k. for them to give me drugs to help me relax. Then more waiting, and then I was finally taken to the O.R.
F.Y.I. My doctor gave me the choice of shaving myself or having the hospital do it. So the night before surgery my hubby, bless his soul, shaved me. Sure beats having a stranger do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register