Can anyone help me get prepared? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone help me get prepared? Can anyone help me get prepared?

Unread 11-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Can anyone help me get prepared?

Hello everyone, hope all is going well! I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on Dec. 5th and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I will need to take to the hospital for me? I don't really know what to take to make things easier. I did buy a pair of house shoes but thats all I've got so far. I was wondering if I would be able to wear a real comfortable pair of sleeping shorts in the hospital for walking after surgery? And can anyone tell me just how bloated I'm going to be? I do have a few pair of sweats of night shorts to wear after I get home. And will I be able to eat normal foods afterwards or have to be on a liquid diet? And again, thank you for all the advice in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2003, 10:16 PM

Hi Rhonda. I had a TAH about 2 weeks ago. Everyone is different, but for me I found that I was much more comfortable after I was able to change into my own clothes once the catheter was removed. I wasn't very swollen, but I definitely didn't want anything rubbing against my incision - loose shorts and sweats were perfect. I also brought some larger-than-normal briefs - they were way more comfy than the mesh panties the hospital gives you. I was on a liquid diet for the first day, then moved on to soft foods after that. Some of the things I couldn't have done without were: chapstick, lotion, mints, and my favorite stuffed animal.

Hope this helps.
Unread 11-29-2003, 10:24 PM

Rhonda:

Well let's see, where shall I start?

First off click on this link for suggestions:

In addition to the questions in the articles section here are some of mine that I asked:

-how will surgery be done and what to expect (LAP, Vaginally, abdominally), how long will surgery last

-what kind of anesthesia and pros & cons (general, epidural, spinal)

-if you get sick after surgeries ask about anti nausea drugs

-tell dr. about any allergies you may have

-if you are a smoker ask about a patch to help while in hospital

-ask dr. to write your Rx for post-op pain meds before surgery so you can have them at home and on hand

-ask about any over the counter drugs you may want to take like Gas X

-ask about vaginal discharge post-op and what to expect

-how soon can you try out having an orgasm (via outercourse)

-make sure you understand the do's and don'ts post-op (when to call Dr., intercourse, oral sex, lifting, walking)

Hope this helps
Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2003, 11:04 PM

Here's another thread that is presently on-going bout what to take to the hospital:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=120796

Good luck.
Unread 11-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Hospital Prep

I packed all kinds of things to do and wear. Bring your own undies, I found that briefs in a larger size are great with your own pads. The hospital gown was ok but in the way as far as moving in bed. I would rather have had a sleep shirt about mid thigh. They keep you so busy in there trying to pee, pass gas, walk, visitors, eat, meds, etc. I didn't have time to read. Keep in mind that My surgery was at 2:30 pm, finally got to room about 6:30 pm. and went home before noon the next day. Stuff with waist bands bothered me and still do. At home, I've been wearing a long robe or very big pajama bottoms. I don't wear underwear because of the waistband. I also haven't bled a drop since the recovery room. If I stayed longer, My own robe would have been good. I think it's a personal preference.
Unread 11-30-2003, 07:11 AM

Hi. Rhonda.

I believe you are having a TVH, so you won't have the incision to worry about. I don't have advice on what to take to the hospital because my TVH was outpatient, surgery at 7:30am and home by 4:30pm. I didn't have to keep a cath, I had no problems having to pee, but I have heard that can be a problem. I wore comfy pajama pants with a drawstring. I did not need larger underwear, and I only needed panty liners. The first 2 days I was sore in my stomach area, and when I had to pee I just felt pressure, and you will be tired. I went back to work after a week and half, however, I was tired, in bed by 8:30pm or so. After 3 weeks you wouldn't have known I had my surgery, well, I still got tired easily. I'm now 5 1/2 weeks post op and feel great. JUST REMEMBER.....EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Good Luck
Missy
Unread 11-30-2003, 07:14 AM

Hi,

I took a lot of stuff to the hospital, didn't need or use most of it. What I actually used was my chap stick, hard candy to suck on, ear plugs ( I was near a noisy exit ), my favorite bed pillow ( castle ones are too skimpy for me ), my tummy pillow, and my gown and robe to wear home.

I wore 2 hospital gowns while there, one facing front, one to the back - that way I was covered & they did the laundry

Best wishes.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register