The delicate sex question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The delicate sex question The delicate sex question

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:11 PM
The delicate sex question

How long after the surgery do you really feel up to having relations? I'll be honest, for the past several years, my husband I were a bit distant in that aspect, and just within the past 8 months, things have heated up. I'm wondering/worrying that things will not be as good as they were before, that I may not be able to reach an orgasm, and that it will be a very long time before I will even feel like having sex again. Because of the location of two of the fibroids, I am having my cervix removed, and some reports say the cervix is important for an orgasm and some reports say it really isn't. Can anyone else relate to my concern, and what has your experience been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I am seven weeks post op

I am seven weeks post op but I do have my cervix and ovaries. This may be TMI, but I was starting to get interested in sex again just this week and I was scared so I explored myself to see if I could orgasm before attempting with my husband. I was able too and it has given me more confidence for the upcoming sharing event so I am not so afraid of pain or not being able to orgasm. I don't really have an answer for no cervix though, just my own experience.
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Hi tiger367!

A recent study shows that, for most hysterectomy patients, keeping or losing the cervix doesn't matter in regard to their post-op sex life and other quality-of- life issues. You can read more about it here:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18073

In my opinion, after all the post-op healing has taken place and your doctor has released you to resume intercourse, if your sex life was good before the surgery, it will likely be good afterwards. Of course there are exceptions, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Thank you

Thank you so much!!!! A thousand s to you. I'm schedualed to have my surgury on 9/11 and have really been worried about the sex thing. My poor WONDERFUL hubby. I just don't even want to be touched right now, I hurt so bad all the time. We used to have an awsome time but now I just feel bad for him. He is very understanding and I can't wait to be healed up and get back to normal. Ya, I know, waiting is going to be tough but oh so worth it. You guys :dance2: ROCK for sharing so much.
You are loved
btlwf
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:54 PM

My DH & I have a great time together now, so I too am hoping that everything will be fine in that department
I've had many other surgeries & 2 kids so I know about waiting afterwards and really, truly your body will tell you. Sometimes it takes a couple false-starts as you get used to the new you, but I'm confident everything will be A-OK!! I've been told to take it SLOWLY and lots of lube and there's no steadfast time --- my doctor said at least 4-5 weeks and only when I'm ready after that.
Unread 08-26-2006, 02:38 AM

I had my first O in 14 years...7 weeks after my surgery. My sex life is better than ever. It was scary the first time. We waited one week after the Doc gave us the go ahead. I was on top so that we both felt more comfortable. Many ladies have what they call "outercourse" until they are able to have intercourse. I however, didn't want to do this because arousal was uncomfortable for me initially. So, to answer your question...for me it was better than EVER at week 7 po. Take Care
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:24 AM

I keep seeing the "TMI" when related to sex but this is a VERY important topic to many of us and am so glad so many of you wonderful ladies are willing to share your stories. This had been a concern for me ever since my doc mentioned a hysterectomy. Thank you again for sharing.
Unread 08-26-2006, 09:01 AM

I am with Bizet Woman on this issue 100%! I had heard that without a cervix sex wouldnt be the same, however I am here to tell you they are wrong. I had a very healthy sex life before, and it is after as well. I agree if you had one before you will after with the exceptions. However I also a strong believer that sex for woman starts in the brain.... and by far is more mental and emotional then physical. Keep your faith and attitude and sex will resume as exciting as before. I do not have my cervix and have no issue with dryness either....

Its my theory of exercise as well... exercise is more mental stimulating then anything... physical is just your REWARD!!!!! Same with sex, I get more emotionally and mentally stimulated... my big O is just my REWARD!

Hang in there and things will be fine.

A Hyster doesnt have to be a death sentence for a healthy sex life, actually it can be the total opposite.. now I dont have to worry about periods, pregnancy, or female problems disrupting things.

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizet Woman
Hi tiger367!

A recent study shows that, for most hysterectomy patients, keeping or losing the cervix doesn't matter in regard to their post-op sex life and other quality-of- life issues. You can read more about it here:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18073

In my opinion, after all the post-op healing has taken place and your doctor has released you to resume intercourse, if your sex life was good before the surgery, it will likely be good afterwards. Of course there are exceptions, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Well, I kept my ovaries but not my cervix, and quite honestly, my sex life has been way better. My libido kicked in full force about 2 weeks after surgery but I waited until the green light from the doc. And then I was both terrified and quite willing. DH was wonderful and very careful. After the first few times with nothing bad happening (my imagination ran wild, really!) and DH being so caring, I let go of my fears and things have been great since. After reading posts on here, I had bought the lube and never ended up using it. Before, certain positions were painful, but not now. I have to say, my libido has increased from before. The big "O" has improved, as in, its longer and more intense. I really have no complaints. But that is only my experience. I agree with the others that a lot of it has to do with your relationship before. Honest communication and trust is a big factor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register