Not Scheduled TAH to be scheduled...Scared..Preop in 3 days..Help!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH to be scheduled...Scared..Preop in 3 days..Help!!! TAH to be scheduled...Scared..Preop in 3 days..Help!!!

Unread 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Re: TAH to be scheduled...Scared..Preop in 3 days..Help!!!

Sorry about your bad experience, but not everyone who has a TAH suffers as you have. I already feel improvement at almost a week PO. I do not live in area to be choosey with doctors nor could I have afforded the travel if I had been. We can only speak for ourselves and I believe I made the correct choice. Many ladies get TAH and get great results. If you didn't , I would take legal action as it sounds like a major mess for you, hugs !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM

I had a TAH on 8/16/2010 & have had great results! I had everything removed except my right ovary. My left ovary was twisted and enlarged as well as my tubes being filled with a fluid which was a surprise. I also had large fibroids and the TAH was the only way my doctor could remove everything. I think if you can leave one ovary that would be the best. But if both ovaries have problems remove them, no sense in going thru the surgery and not getting rid of the problem which is causing so much pain.

I have had no bleeding, horrible pain or bladder problems since my TAH and I am 5 weeks today. Nothing but great results for me!!

Good luck and make sure to follow EVERY tip on the Post OP site which is broken down into weeks. I did and had no problems.

Laura
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the information and advise. I will certainly be using it when I go to Preop. Believe me I have read everything I could put my hands and eyes regarding the subject, even prior to me having the Uterine Fibroid Embolization 4 years ago. In fact, back than I was told I needed a hysterectomy and it could only be done abdominally because of my large fibroids and uterus size. At that time and now I have continously fought and had 3 Dr.s opinions on if I could have it done Laproscopically via Lapo or Robotic DaVinci method instead. However, after viewing old and current Ultrasounds, they have all told me the fibroids and uterus size was just too large. I have only been offered the TAH as the route for releif. In addition, I made dietary changes, taking herbal supplements and having acupuncture treatments in an effort to reduce size and/or eliminate the fibroids all together. This actually contributed to me trying UFE first in hopes of it working. But here we are 4 years, with increase in size and more fibroids with increased problems. So I am just ready to put an end to it and my psuedo pregnancy "stomach" the best way possible available to me right now.

Thanks beller5 for your words of caution and advice of more research. I definately hear you and understand where you are coming from. I am so sorry you have been put thru so much and hope you get better soon. You best believe I will campaigning again for the less invasive route of Laproscopic or Robotic during my Pre-op with my Doctor. Adhesions and Scar tissue are definately of concern for me, among other things, since I have Keloid skin.

Lattie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks Laura..Great advise...I am glad to know you are recoverying well. I will certainly follow the timelines as suggested.
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM

I hear what you are saying. I just want to share information with women before they have their surgery. We only get one chance to have it done right. I too could not afford to travel to have my hysterectomy. After the TAH/BSO went badly, no local doctors would help me because they did not want to get involved. They preferred I suffer in pain than help me because they did not want to repair the negligent work of their local peer or tell me the truth. I was forced to find a new surgeon who was not afraid to help a patient in need. My TAH left me unable to work and I went bankrupt and I lost my home in foreclosure. In order to travel three hours from my town for my repair surgery, I was dependent on contributions. It was humiliating and now I owe people money. My life has been ruined because my small town OB/GYN represented to me that she could do a LAVH. I know first hand that a TAH causes more unnecessary damage than laparoscopic hysterectomies . I want women to know that it's not as hard or expensive as you might think to travel away from home in order to have a better surgeon who has advanced skills and experience. Trust me, I had to do bowel prep in a hotel room! With all due respect to women who have had or need TAHs, I would still say that it is much better not to have the old-fashioned, open surgery. Doctors who don't do laparoscopic surgery have an ethical duty to refer you to a surgeon who does. I have had both types and this is only my personal opinion. As women, we have the right to be choosey about our doctors. We don't have to settle for whatever our local doctors know and are used to doing. I wish someone would have told me to look into traveling to the nearest large city for a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. I wish someone would have warned me that many OB/GYNs say that you need an open TAH when really, it's the only surgery they feel safe doing because they lack the training and experience. Many OB/GYNs are most comfortable doing c-sections and TAHs. That's OK, but it's the 21st century and we should all be demanding state of the art surgery. Again, I am not criticizing women who had a TAH. I had a TAH/BSO to my permanent ruination. I was consented for a LAVH but my doctor lied to me and did a TAH. I then had TLH from a superior surgeon in a different city. I WISH I had done that first. I wish I had not trusted my local OB/GYN. God bless us all and grant us good health. We women know how our reproductive organs affect our lives and health. Again I just want women to consider having laparoscopic surgery.
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi yarnqueen,

Done....can't wait for it to be over. You are so right it seems like no room. In fact, I feel like I am just going to burst. Thanks for sharing. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Lattie
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Thank you beller5 for your passion and sincerness in getting the word out. Your words are being heard. My first choice, and previously my only preference was laproscopic. However, time and increased problems have caused me to reconsider. I was definately open to traveling out of state for the procedure. But after review of my ultrasounds even out of state, was told the same.

Please, please get better soon and Thank U so much for caring enough to continue sharing your words of personal experience to help others like me.

HUGS,

Lattie
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Hi, Lattie:

Same type of pain here, especially the back and legs. Most days, I hurt from the waist down. It's hard to get comfortable even for sleeping, and I think that contributes to the exhaustion. Take heart in the knowledge that you're getting close to relief. Just over two weeks for me. If you're about ready to do your pre-op, you're getting close, too. I'll be thinking of you and sending hugs. It'll be nice to have these "foreign bodies" gone.
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Hi PointerSister,

Girrlll..you so know what I am going thru! You are right..I can't wait to get these things out of me. I wish you well with your upcoming surgery and recovery too!

Hugs...
Lattie

BTW... I love your name.
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks, Lattie. I have English Pointer bird dogs who seem to regard me as one of the pack, thus the name. I'm looking forward to being able to hunt with them once again. The back, pelvic and leg pain has been torture the last few years when walking over uneven ground, especially carrying a shotgun. This year I'll miss opening day, but may be recovered enough to hunt with them later if all goes well. Hope you're back on your feet soon!

Ali/PointerSister

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register