Tubal done, found Endo and Cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tubal done, found Endo and Cyst Tubal done, found Endo and Cyst

Unread 10-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Tubal done, found Endo and Cyst

~Waves~ Hi Gals,

WOW! My last post was back in November I believe. I never did make it back here for my birthday wishes so thank you all who gave me a special birthday wish.

Here's the run down. In late April I had my pap done and was referred to the doctor who works in the GYN clinic on base (hubby is active duty Air Force). I had my tubal 23rd May of this year and was told that in a few days I would feel all better. Well, a week later I was almost back to my old self. That was nice. I went through the first two months with very little pain and then another two months pain free. The pain is back almost as bad as it was. Come to find out at my post-op the doctor took off a lot of endo (he said "you had a mess going on inside) and also took off a cyst from my uterus. I didn't find either of that out until my post-op. I guess I was a tad out of it when I left the surgery clinic. Hehehehe!

Now the pain is back and I have a referral for the doctor again. Same doctor. He told me that if the pain were to come back then I would have to make a decision to either a) go on the two hormone program and put my body into menopause (I'm not too hip on a lot of drugs in my system) or b) get a hysto. He said everything, but didn't mention my cervix. I assume that will go too, but I won't find that out until November 5th.

I have my appointment on November 5th and to be honest I'm not worried about making the decision. I really would rather have everything taken out because of the pain. It makes me want to go out of my mind. ~Sigh~ I guess I'm more worried about how my husband will react. He's very supportive, but to be honest, he's a man so he doesn't understand just what kind of decision this is. He says that it's up to me. It's my body. ~Snicker~ I have him trained well.

I am worried about recovery time. Whether this doctor does vaginal hysto. Hospital stay, if any. How my kids would react to having me gone just one day. My now 10 year old girl about flipped out when they called me back for my tubal. The hubby told me that she paced back and forth until the doctor came back out and said that I was in recovery.

Anyway. I think I'm a tad bit long winded right now.

BTW....I hope this is in the right spot. Hehehehe!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2003, 07:13 PM

Hi Linda and Welcome Back

It sounds like you didn't know you had endo when your tubal was done, is that right? But were you having pain prior to the tubal?

If the recurring pain is due to endo, there are some other alternatives besides a hyst or Lupron (I'm assuming that is the drug that your gyn suggested). Some gals take bc pills and get good relief. Others opt for additional laparoscopic surgery to excise or laser the endo and adhesions. While a hyst is an option, typically this is a last resort option after other treatments have been tried.

Is there any way that you can get a second opinion from another gyn? The bad thing about endo is that there is no guarantee that you'll be endo-free forever, even after a hyst. Some gals do great and never have a recurrance. Others are not so lucky.

If you do opt for a hyst, the surgical approach (vaginal, abdominal or laparoscopic) is really at the recommendation of your gyn. Depending on your particular reproductive problem(s) your gyn most likely will recommend a specific type of incision. In many cases of endo an abdominal or laparoscopic approach is preferred so that the doc can see and remove all the endo and adhesions. Whether or not to keep your cervix is another issue to discuss with your gyn. The cervix can be a source of the pain when you have endo, so your gyn may recommend that it be removed. However, this all will depend on the extent of your disease and your gyn's recommendations.

Please keep reading and asking questions and make the decision that feels best to YOU. We'll do our best to provide support whatever you decide. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 10-21-2003, 04:49 AM

Hi Beth

Thanks for the welcome back.

I had no idea I had endo. All I knew is that my periods and ovulation were horribly painful that I couldn't get out of bed most times during the month. My periods were very heavy too.

I was on bc pills for a few years and still had all the pain. At that time I was going to Planned Parenthood because I didn't have medical insurance and they told me that basically they didn't have anything stronger. I was on the strongest. Shortly after they told me that I go remarried to the ex.

Unfortunately I can't get a second opinion since this is the military. Hehehehe! They do good to take care of the active duty and families and I feel really comfortable in this doctor's care though so that's a big plus in my book.

I'm actually a tad bit sad in a way because I was hoping to go a bit longer without the pain before I had to make any decisions. The doctor never said what kind of hormones I would be on. Just that if/when the pain came back I would make the decision. He was really hoping that the pain wouldn't come back at all and was pretty confident it wouldn't, but I guess with age my body has decided to attack me.

I'll know more on my appoitment. I'll be totally honest though. It would be nice not to have a period anymore. Hehehehehe!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Linda,

You CAN get a second opinion in the military. I was in the army for 20 years and even if that doctor is the only GYN at the clinic, which could be true at a very small post, they could send you elsewhere (FT. Sill, maybe, if it's still around). Be sure and ask, especially if you have any doubts and questions. I was always pleased with the care I got in the military medical system and it sounds as if you have a great DR.
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:21 PM

Yes...Ft Sill is still around. With Tricare I'd probably have to go off base and see, but to be totally 100% honest, I love this GYN. He is a total sweetheart and took great care of me. I've been lucky with the doctors I've gotten. There's always that handful that aren't as good as they should be, but I'm always one to fill out the feedback paper.

The only thing I was totally shocked about was the P.A who blew off my pain and heavy periods. That really upset me since she took care of me during my 3rd pregnancy. I guess since I was going to see the doctor anyway she kind of blew off my feelings. ~Snicker~ That's okay though. The doctor totally understood and had a sympathic ear for me.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register