Two weeks from surgery and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks from surgery and scared Two weeks from surgery and scared

Unread 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Two weeks from surgery and scared

I'm just under two weeks from surgery and am nrevous. Am putting on my brave face for the holidays, but am quaking inside. Is the waiting the hardest part? I really hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Waiting really is the hardest part. Even with the complications I have had (two infections, not eating and a trip down the stairs) I would still say the wait was worse part.

This is a major life changing event but it is worth it. We found I had Adeno along with the pre-cancer cells in my cervix so I know I made the right choice. I could have been much more conservative but I "knew" what I had to do.

Just make sure to get your place of recovery ready, leave some of the cleaning for those last day's where nerves really set in and then BREATH. If it gets to scary, call your doc and see if they can give you something. Xanax saved my and my families sanity pre-op.

Take care
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I know you have read it 1000's of times -- You will find that the waiting going into surgery is the hardest part. your mind is absorbing all the notes and ideas from all the posts that you read and it adds to the confusion of what it all means.

Spend the next couple of weeks finding stuff that will make it easier on you to relax and heal. You have one chance to heal properly-- so having to cook and clean and bend and stretch need to be minimized.

cook meals up ahead of time, find books and movies that you wish to read and see.
Take time for your self now -- so that when your time to become the princess arrives -- you learn how to relax and heal.

I wish you the very best and hope that your recovery is the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Sunnyca,
I understand!! I have 11 days from today and I am a wreck! I am not afraid of the surgery itself, I was before I had my cold cone which was the first time I ever had surgery so before that I was so scared to be put under and was freaking out because of all the stuff on TV with Kanya's mom and the movie Awake and all the stories on "inside edition" being that I never had surgery before I was traumatized. I actual started to freak out the day I arrived for surgery and said "I just want to go home" I am now not afraid of surgery it is the after effects. Pain, discomfort, and healing and that not being able to swallow feeling after surgery (that freaked me out). The waiting has been the worse part for sure but now that it is in 11 days I am getting scared again and it seems so soon. I have already packed my suitcase and started leaving instructions for everyone (I way over plan) I know that . I am so scared I am now consumed with reading all the post on pre-op. I was consumed with reading the cervical cancer post prior to diagnosis. I am not sure what surgery you are having but me I am having TAH/BSO they are also taking my appendix and I will have a supracervical catheter in place ( I have to retrain my bladder how to pee WHAT??) doesn't that sound fun. I also have to do bowel prep starting 24hours prior to surgery and I have to have clear tap water enemas until clear in pre-op holding. How does anyone not freak out EEK>> I have found such comfort from this website, I could not have made it without these wonderful women and words of wisdom and courage. I will be posting a lot in the next coming days I am sure as it gets closer. I hope you get comfort from knowing you are not alone and not crazy and that there are a lot of us going through the same emotions and fear as you are. Thanks for posting, I needed to get that all out
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM

I had complications too (perforated bladder & subsequent bladder infection), yet I still thinkthe waiting is the hardest. I'm just over 3 weeks post-op now and feel pretty good. My incision area is still sore (as expected), but I have pretty good energy and am now enjoying my days. Hang in there.
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Ladies: waiting is the hardest part. I was so fortunate and did not have complications as mentioned in this thread. I will say that 3.5 weeks after my TAH/BSO, I feel great, I have been cleared to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill (slow) and I am totally off the pain medication. I still get tired in the afternoons, and then just take a NAP! The incision is a little sore, but healing well, and I feel fine. Believe me, the hospital experience is not so bad, and the nurses will pamper you and you will be home before you know it. Please get your room ready, so you will be comfy when you get home. A friend lent me her portable DVD player, and with a stack of DVD's next to the bed, I could watch movies in bed, and that helped as I was not sleeping through the night when I first came home. Get the fuzziest pair of PJ's, the softest blanket, and take this time to rest and recharge.

You will be feeling just fine really quick - take my word for it.

Tickled Pink
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Tickled Pink is right. Even with my complications, I feel pretty good right now (just over 3 weeks post-op). I walk on my treadmill almost every day for 25 min. or so (at a fairly slow pace). My incision area is sore, but I take only ibuprofen for the pain & it works fine. Hang in there.
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM

It is normal to feel apprehensive about your upcoming surgery.

As others have said, it helps to be informed. I suggest that you read everything you can on this site and make a list of questions for your doctor.
This way you are more prepared for the recovery and for any complications, should they arise.

Waiting is hard, but I don't think it's the hardest part. While the pain is usually controllable with medication, the recovery isn't always a piece of cake. For me, being so physically exhausted was harder than the wait. But everyone's situation is different. Some people have an easier time than others.

Even though I had a few things that presented challenges, I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It depends on what procedures are being done, if there are complications, and what your pain tolerance is.

I don't say this to scare you. I just think you should be aware that this is major surgery. You also need to inform your family about the operation so they know that you will need a lot of rest and a lot of help from them. You should ask your surgeon if he/she considers you to be a high risk patient, and what , if any, complications there might be with a bladder repair, ect.

While waiting, unless I was on the Hystersisters site, I tried to just put it out of my mind. It wasn't always easy but it kept me from driving myself crazy. You'll obviously think about it at times, but you can try to focus on other things and it will help you relax a bit. I read a good book, watched TV, and listened to music while I cleaned.

I'm a big baby when it comes to hospital, needles, and doctors. I just decided that I didn't have a choice. I needed the operation. I knew that my doctor was well educated and prepared for whatever happened. This is what I concentrated on when those negative thoughts seeped through.

Also, listen to what thediamondlady said. Give yourself plenty of time to recover. When you start to feel better, rest some more. Many of us try to start doing our usual chores after a week or two. This will just prolong your recovery. REST, REST, REST!

I hope everything goes well for you!

Remember to
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:53 PM

waiting is definitely the hardest part. so much runs through your head and it can be overwhelming. just try to keep busy and it will be here before you know it
Unread 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Tom Petty said it all "the waaaaiting is the hardest part". IMO, by far the hardest part. Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register