Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017, UPDATED | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017, UPDATED Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017, UPDATED

Unread 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017, UPDATED

Hi ladies!

I am 47 and I have scheduled an endometrial ablation with my MD on Thursday. It has taken 3+ years to get here but I am here. I went in asking for a hysterectomy last month but he said you are 5 years out from starting the change. I agreed. He is being conservative in his actions and I totally respect that.

I am taking both Thursday and Friday off of work and will also have Saturday and Sunday to recover.

What supplies would be good to have on hand once I return home from the procedure? I am going shopping on Tuesday and want to make sure I don't have to make any last minute runs or ask friends to do it for me. I don't really like to impose on them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Re: Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017

I had mine on a Thursday and returned to work on a Tuesday. (Have since had a hysterectomy that I am now recovering from) and had my tubes out at the same time. I would say some light flow pads because you will still bleed lightly for a few days, and some easy to prepare foods. You will probably nap alot the first couple of days and they will send you home with pain meds. I think I needed those about 72 hours and was OK after that, until my chronic pain started a month later anyway. Good Luck, I hope you get the results you want with yours! This recovery from hysterectomy is not as easy as people think so I'm totally understanding the idea of going less invasive first, it does work for some people!
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Thank you. I hope your recovery is quick from the hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Re: Endometrial Ablation - scheduled for 06/22/2017

Thanks, it's still activity by activity and it will be 4 weeks on Thursday.

Before you go through with the endo ablation, research "post ablation syndrome after endometrial ablation" to make sure you know what that is all about. It seems nobody ever tells you about this risk, but it's very real, and leads something like 5-15% of us to have hysterectomy afterward (and it's painful!!!). The risks are higher if you've had c sections (I had 2), like 30%, as is the risk of chronic pain after ablation if you've had c sections. So just make sure you are comfortable with those possible things. If you've had no c sections, do not have painful periods, fibroids or endo and just need to get rid of heavy bleeding, you may do really well, but statistically speaking, if you have those things in your history, the outcomes aren't nearly as good. If I had known, I'd have just gone straight for the hysterectomy. (I ended up with 3 surgeries in 10 months, the ablation being the first). Not trying to scare you, just telling you what I learned in hind sight.
Unread 06-20-2017, 01:24 AM

No. Totally appreciate your input.

No children for me. Except cats.

For me most of my periods are heavy flow and large blood clots. I had a large pulmonary embolism 3 years ago. I can not have estrogen in any form because it was the catalyst for the embolism.

I have a fibroid on the back side of the uterus as well.

He has a plan and I feel comfortable following thru. I just need to be diligent in letting him know if there are problems. I wish I'd found him 20 years ago.
Unread 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM
1 day post Novasure ablation and Dilation and Currettage

Ladies..

So far I'm feeling great!

Yesterday I slept off and on had mild cramping and backache and a little bit of spotting.

This morning I took a walk for about 30 mins. Got a little backache. But ibuprofen is making it feel better.

I'm hoping that this is what my new leash on life will be.
Unread 08-03-2017, 09:49 PM
6 weeks post endometrial ablation

Ladies,

I can't even tell you how relived I am. I'm getting used to my new normal. I haven't had a period yet!!! But my MD assures me that is a good thing.

Tell me how you are doing!?

Stephanie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register