cancer reccurence 6 mo after hysterectomy | Cancer Concerns - GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cancer reccurence 6 mo after hysterectomy cancer reccurence 6 mo after hysterectomy

Unread 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM
cancer reccurence 6 mo after hysterectomy

Hi, I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Had a total hysterectomy Oct 26, 2016. They said everything was contained & I should be good. I went back to the dr. for a 3mo internal & everything looked good. At my 6 mo checkup so saw a thickening around the vaginal cuff. They did a biopsy (ouch) & unfortunately it was a 2 centimeter tumor wrapped around the vaginal cuff. Dr said sometimes cells escape during surgery & reattach. They seemed surprised & so was I. Now I am halfway thru 25 external radiation treatments & when this is done, I have to be admitted to a Boston hospital for internal brachytherapy. NOT looking forward to that!
I guess my question is: has this happened to anyone else & have you remained cancer free after therapy. Of course, one of the side effects of radiation is cancer! I'm just trying to take it day to day at this point, working part days & trying to remain optimistic.
Today the rad machine broke down & they called me to cancel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Re: cancer reccurence 6 mo after hysterectomy

I had an endometrial cancer recurrence on my vaginal cuff nine months after surgery. I was told the same thing you were after surgery - early stage, we got it all, no further treatment. Ha!

I ended up having 25 external pelvic treatments and three brachy treatments along with five low-dose chemo sessions (cisplatin). Lucky for me, my local hospital had gotten the machinery to do brachy on-site six months before my recurrence, so I was able to have all my treatments locally.

I found the brachy to be the easiest to tolerate in terms of immediate side effects compared to the external rads and the chemo.

I had my last treatment almost three years ago. No signs of cancer since then! *grin* My guts are a bit jumpier than they used to be as a long-term side effect of the external rads. Also, rectal bleeding due to radiation proctitis has become part of my daily life. I just wipe and move on. Because I had brachy, I use a vaginal dilator 3x a week, two minutes a session - no big deal, it's about as routine as brushing my teeth.

All in all I find that the long-term side effects are manageable and beat the heck out of having cancer.

How are you doing with short-term side effects during the radiation treatments? I had jumpy guts and some trouble with radiation tanning/burning.
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:34 PM

Short term has not been too bad. Some loose stools, not really any burning yet, more tired than usual. Just want to get thru the next 2 weeks. How long after the external did you have the brachy? They told me there may be a 1-2 week break in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM

I sort of had them at the same time. I had external M-F for three weeks, and then starting in week four I had brachy on Thursdays instead. I continued to have external the other days.
Unread 06-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Hi, do you remember how big the tumor was on the cuff? Mine is about 2 centimeters.
Unread 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM

I had two lesions, each about 2 mm in diameter, so about a tenth of the size of yours.
Unread 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM

Hello again. Just a quick update. I just finished 5 brachtherapy multi channel cylinder treatments about a week ago. My dr. decided to do it on an outpatient basis. The first week hurt a bit & I had to sit sideways because I was so sore. Second week was a little more spaced out & it was better. Just glad to get it over with.
I have an appt. aug 4th for a followup. Hopefully everything will look good. (fingers crossed).
My question is do you remember any vaginal discharge after brachy? Right now I have to wear a thick pad. Can't tell if it's a discharge or urine leaking. I'll definitely ask when I go next week.
Just wonderng if it will subside.
Unread 07-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajan60 View Post
Hello again. Just a quick update. I just finished 5 brachtherapy multi channel cylinder treatments about a week ago. My dr. decided to do it on an outpatient basis. The first week hurt a bit & I had to sit sideways because I was so sore. Second week was a little more spaced out & it was better. Just glad to get it over with.
I have an appt. aug 4th for a followup. Hopefully everything will look good. (fingers crossed).
My question is do you remember any vaginal discharge after brachy? Right now I have to wear a thick pad. Can't tell if it's a discharge or urine leaking. I'll definitely ask when I go next week.
Just wonderng if it will subside.
Glad to hear that you made it through!

I don't remember having any vaginal discharge myself after I finished brachy, but I did at one point develop a large blister on my butt while having external rads. Radiation can cause burns, burns develop blisters and the blisters drain. I'm wondering if that's what's happening with your vagina?
Unread 07-27-2017, 07:46 PM

May I join this thread ladies? It's 5 weeks post op Davinci hysterectomy, ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix removed. Stage 1B, Grade 1. 22 lymph nodes removed, all negative. Negative wash. Found out I do not have to have chemotherapy. Regarding radiation, I have two choices. One is no treatment, just observation. Second is vaginal brachytherapy, 5 times. I've been reading a lot about it. I don't want to do it, radiation can cause further cancer. But now I see your posts and you had recurrence at the vaginal cuff and the treatment was much more aggressive. I don't know what to do, I haven't decided yet. I just can't fathom I have to use a dilator the rest of my life, yes, I know, a small price to pay to kill remaining cancer cells now. Any other side affects that I would have the rest of my life? Rectal ulcers? Loose stools? Thank you ladies. So glad I can ask those that have walked this path.
Unread 07-28-2017, 05:16 AM

I've found the impact of having to use a dilator to be really minimal. It take maybe 15 seconds to apply the lube, then 2 minutes of dilator use. The coolness of the lube feels soothing to me. I usually just close my eyes, lean against the bathroom wall and zone out for the duration. Another 15 seconds to rinse the dilator and stick it in on the shampoo shelf in the shower stall for a thorough wash the next time I shower.

I have rectal side effects that I'm fairly sure are *not* from the brachytherapy but rather from the external rads. (I think this because they started after I'd been on the external rads a couple of weeks but before I started the brachy.) The effects are manageable but unpredictable. On the worst days (not every day), I'll be out somewhere and it's like, okay, I have ten minutes to find a public washroom or else. Rectal bleeding has become a regular event in my life. I hope I don't get colon cancer because I'd miss the first signs. I'd just figure it was the "normal" rectal bleeding.

I'm living my life, I'm active, I'm usually happy. (My older cat has cancer and only a few weeks left to live, so not very happy right now.) But if I had a time machine, I'd go back to the summer of 2013 and tell my gyn onc and myself, psst! Do some brachy now! Save yourself trouble in nine months!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register