Low Estrogen Symptoms? | Hormone and Menopause Central | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low Estrogen Symptoms? Low Estrogen Symptoms?

Unread 06-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Low Estrogen Symptoms?

Hello everyone!

My background:

I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago and am currently on bioidentical HRT. I am using a cream containing estradiol and testosterone. For progesterone I am taking a topical oil containing Vitamin E.

I had a total hysterectomy so I immediately went into surgical menopause. Up until recently, I have been feeling great but now I'm experiencing the following:

Can't lose weight, slight dizziness at times, feeling like I'm not here, can't concentrate for too long, lack of motivation, and more irritable - my head just feels strange!

I am a vegetarian eating a clean diet and I work out at least 5 times a week including cardio and strength training. The weight is not budging at all and I feel like I'm hungry all the time! Recently I had a blood test and my estradiol has dropped to <15 from 20 a few months ago. I just had another blood test so I'm waiting the results.

My questions to the group are:

Do my symptoms sound like they are related to menopause?
Has anyone else had similar symptoms on HRT?
Has anyone successfully been able to lose weight during menopause on HRT?

I feel like I'm going crazy and the more I feel this way, the more anxious I'm getting that there is something wrong. Any advice and/or comments would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Unread 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Re: Low Estrogen Symptoms?

Sadly, high and low estrogen symptoms are almost identical! I would suggest getting your hormones tested to see here you are at. Feeling out of it is no fun!
Unread 06-16-2017, 03:51 PM

I just recently had a total abdomen hysterectomy. 3 weeks today. Doc put me on estradiol patch. .05 mg. It works great but she want me to change it every 5 days. It is less frequent than the manufacture states. Day 4 today feel like I am going crazy and feel menopostal. Hot flashes. I have no refills after this is done. She wants to see how my body does. I don't like how I am without it . Breast cancer in my family so don't want to take a risk if using it very long if it makes me have a increased risk either. Not sure if I should change it earlier because I feel terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Yes, I have been having a lot of the same symptoms as you. I call mine brain fog. Also dizzy spells often when standing.
My tah was 3 years ago next month. I was started on 1 mg climara patch and aside from hair loss and breast tenderness, I felt fantastic on it. But then I started getting a rash wherever I put it, so I had to come off of it.
I ended up going to a compounding pharmacy and she put me on .37mg estradiol and .50 mg progesterone. I did great on that for a year. (Aside from hairloss)
Then my son caused me a huge amount of stress last fall. Since then I can't seem to get my estrogen levels back up. I don't feel stressed anymore, maybe I am? I don't know.
Are you going through a stressful time? The pharmacist told me stress causes your body to use up the hormones more quickly. The same with hard workouts. Have you always worked out like this? Or is it something you've just recently started?
That said, I have been able to lose 70 pounds while on hrt. I try not to eat over 1500 calories a day. I don't work out at all because I worry about my levels dropping even more. I did reach a point where the weight wasn't budging and once My estradiol dosage was upped, that helped. I also think you should get your levels tested to see where you are. I am guessing it's low estrogen, but low and high do have a lot of the same symptoms.
I've had my estradiol dosage doubled and oddly my estrogen went from 31 to 26. The pharmacist is currently working on a new formula for me.
I wish this wasn't so complicated.
I hope you are able to get things figured out.
Unread 06-17-2017, 06:12 AM

@HeatherMaee

Thank you for the response! It's good to know that it's possible to lose weight on HRT.

I eat about 1200-1300 calories per day so I'm really careful on the amount of calories I'm consuming. A few months back I was under a lot of stress but right now I don't seem to be. Actually, about the time of the estrogen drop, things were stressful. Hmm?

I have always worked out like I'm doing now so it's something that isn't new for me. Prior to my TAH, I had now issues losing weight and keeping the weight off, now it's a struggle in spite of calorie counting and exercise. The more I can't lose weight, the more it frustrates me and that actually could be causing stress.

I got my levels checked just a few days ago so I'm waiting for the results. My guess is that it's low estrogen too, but the blood results will tell for sure.

Yes, this delicate balance of hormones and stress is enough to drive me crazy! Ugh! Are you taking your HRT in a cream form or pill form?

I will keep trying to figure this out. I wish there was a magic pill that fixed everything.

I will post an update once I get the results. Thank you for the information and for sharing!
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM

I have been taking a compounded pill for 2 years now. Last week I asked the pharmacist if its possible that it's not working for me this way anymore. She didn't think that was the case and instead thinks I just need an increase. She said my estrone level is high and that she thinks a lot of the estradiol is turning into estrone. She said she's going to increase the estradiol and progesterone and try estriol this time.
LOL! I'm glad she knows what she's talking about because I was lost. Now estriol is a new word I've been googling.

If you've been working out like this for a long time, I wouldn't think that it would be what's causing you trouble. I agree, more the stress from not losing weight. And just not knowing exactly why you aren't feeling your best.

Even though my levels are very low still, once she upped my estradiol last time I started losing weight again.

I really hope your test results give you some answers.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register