One Surgeon, One GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Surgeon, One GYN One Surgeon, One GYN

Unread 01-05-2005, 06:35 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

Hi Ladies,

I recently had a cat scan for a lump I have in my abdominal wall. I was told by the surgeon that this was a "fatty tumor" but he could remove it and it would be biopsied. He told me when any lump is removed it is always biopsied. I have ignored this lump for quite some time. Now, I am seriously thinking that when I go in for my hyst in Feb. I want the surgeon to remove this as well.
I figure if they have me open why not kill two stones with one bird? Am I crazy? Will the pain/recovery time be longer? My gyn told me that he couldn't do it because it's not his area. I was surprised by this. I thought it was just a matter of a few cuts of the tissue. I was told by the gyn he would call the surgeon and see if he could be in the OR at the same time. I'm very nervous about this. What if it's something else? Could it be adhesions/fibroid in my abdomen? I just don't know. So much is going through my mind right now. I just can't wait to get this over with. The waiting is the worst...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:18 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

More than likely it is nothing more than the surgeon told you, just a fatty tumor. But your GYN is playing it safe, for your health and for himself, first if it turned out to be something more, second, he knows where the nerves, blod vessels, etc for the reproductive area are, you're asking him to venture out of what he knows best. Sometimes you'll hear that someone's gyn did a "mini" tummy tuck during an abdominal hyst, but more often they won't because that's not part of what they're trained in.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:19 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

A year ago I had a large endometrioma removed and at the same time a small fatty tumor (lipoma). The lipoma was under my arm and had bothered me for 3 or 4 months. I figured if I was under anyway, they may as well do it. The general surgeon was given an estimated time AFTER the other surgery to be ready. He came in while I was still under and did his thing in about 20 minutes. It was no big deal and I was glad to have it out of there.

Lindabug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 07:34 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

Hi, I have a couple of fatty tissue lipomas in my abdominal wall that my dr's and I are watching. He said that they are not uncommon.

My gyn also told me that a general surgeon would have to be the one to remove them. The general surgeon felt that since they were fairly small that we should just watch them unless they start giving me trouble. Except for the fact that I hate having them there, they haven't.

best wishes.

s
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:58 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

Like the other sisters said, lipomas are common. Hopefully just knowing what it is makes you feel better. If it's presence bothers you then this seems like a good time to have them get rid of it for you.

You're right. Waiting is the pits.
Best wishes.
sistabeth
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
One Surgeon, One GYN

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think just having the lump removed will be a good thing.
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
One Surgeon, One GYN

I had a polyp on my rear end and I thought might as well get rid of it at the same time but my gyn sent me to a surgeon and the surgeon decided to do it before the TAH but I also had a bladder tack and I had to go to a uroligost to have that done and he did it and the same time as the TAH and I know some gyn do bladder tucks so I guess it just depends what expertise they went into in school. Good Luck
Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register