Vertical incision - will I have a "butt in front?" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical incision - will I have a "butt in front?" Vertical incision - will I have a "butt in front?"

Unread 03-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Vertical incision - will I have a "butt in front?"

I have large broids which will be removed thru a vertical incision. I guess I would get the swelly belly, so I'd be about the same size as before, and then it would go down. I read about another poster having a flabby "butt in front" from this. I am 43 and at my age the skin doesn't tighten up again after you lose weight too quickly. Is there anyone around my age or older who got the vertical incision? How did it turn out? Should I ask my doctor to cut off some skin to make it tighter? That wouldn't be a "tummy tuck" because they're not removing any fat, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I do not think it matters....really

I went for the "bikini cut" (Yeah...like I was ever gonna wear one again in THIS lifetime!), after hearing unflattering comments about BIF incisions from my surgeon.

Well.....my advice is to go with what's easiest for your doc to get at everything, so that you'll have the best job done. Before anyone gets riled about my voting in deference to what's best for the doc, I'll tell you why:

I do not think my "bikini cut" is any more attractive than the BIF, to be honest. I look like I have a permanent grin on my body.....a fleshy happy face, if you look at the boobs and bellybutton at the same time (complete with a goatee...). It was disconcerting, at first..............but, I've become accustomed to it.....love it, even. To me, it's like a badge of courage............shows what I've been through. At least it doesn't look like a toothy shark's grin, as it did immediately postop!! Ironic, but I love my body more, despite advancing imperfections.

I hope you come to terms with a choice with which you can live, too. Deb
Unread 03-14-2005, 03:01 AM

I guess if your belly is larger than normal already it may look a bit like that when its pulled together but hopefully when all the swelling goes down and we can eventually get back to getting the muscles back into order it will improve.
Im due for TAH tomorrow and have been told they will try through a transverse incision but I may wake up with a vertical depending on what they find apart form my large fibroid so its possible I will end up with a 'T' which will be luverrrrrrly....
I'm not too worried about the scarring at the moment though because getting rid of the other problems will be the blessing! And Im 43 and have a rather flabby belly already ...having the tendency of an apple figure to pile all my excess weight there. Having lost some weight already the skin is loser despite all the sit ups etc I have been doing. Yes Ive noticed that my skin these days doesnt seem to heal or tighten as well.
Ah well ..I am not ever going to wear a bikini again (.my modelling contract must have got lost in the post )and my partner has more scars than a busy road map so hes not going to worry about mine either. I just hope I dont get the keloid overgrowth of the scar I did with my cholecystectomy scar which is irritating as well as unsightly.

We cant say something wont happen but we can hope so I guess the best thing we can do is concentrate on the positives of having the hyster ...and boy are there plenty of them!!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 04:08 AM

I had a emergency C section at 24....had another at 26.....i was about 20 lbs overweight ....i did have a butt in front.....at 40 i had the hyster........at about 40 lbs over weight i still have 2 butts.....its not as bad as it sounds...........stand up and push the two sides of your stomache together below the belly button...........thats what it looks like............and if your SO has a butt fedish he will be thrilled..........my DH is!!!!!
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:36 AM

I am a vertical girl and don't have that issue at all. In fact, if I wanted to (which doesn't mean anyone else would want me to...) I could probably wear a high waisted bikini once this is all healed and the incision wouldn't even show. I had a big broid that was quite high up. So I think it's another case by case thing. I'm only a few short years younger than you.
Fro-yo
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:26 AM

I'm a few years yonger than you and a bit fluffy (if you know what I mean) - I had a vertical incision and I never thought it looked like a butt - to me it's more like a railroad track - the line of the incision and the railroad ties are the places where the staples were in - I also had spoons - two on them - they look like two plastic spoons which are on one handle - so there's the spoon on both ends and they were sewn into me on each side of the incision to keep it together during the few 10 days after - the took them off when they did the staples - so for a while I looked like I had a face on my tummy.

I am six months out now and have been using a scar reducer cream - I've used several over the counter creams - and the scar is lightening which is nice. I have also started crunches to get the tummy muscles in shape - I did these before the surgery and it really helped. I do about 100 every morning now - I started out slow - and feel good that I am back to where I was before the surgery.

I will never where anything that shows my belly and the man I love will just have to deal with my flaws!!!!

HUGS
Cat
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Fro-yo

I hate you........

Just teasing ya!!

Tess
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:11 PM

I was really worried about what a vertical incision would look like, and mentioned it to my friend. This was her cue to reveal her own vertical cut (for bowel surgery, but in just the same place). Even with a keloid scar I was amazed at how neat and tidy it all looked. Thank the Lord for good friends.

That calmed me down, and I'm reconciled to the gynaecologist doing the cut he needs to on clinical grounds.

I've also heard from others that it might be a better cut to recover from (they may move the rectus muscle to the side rather than cut through it).

Ask yourself a question - What matters most? How you look in 6 months - it's not a trivial question, as there are all kinds of issues for each of us - or that the best clinical outcome is achieved in the shorter term?

I hope all goes well when you have your surgery.

Livingdoll
Unread 03-19-2005, 05:57 PM

I too am a vertical girl (age 46) and I don't have a second butt in front! LOL I do have extra skin on one side due to a misaligned incision, but that is another story & will be corrected in a few months. I also still have a bit of swelling. At first, I was very upset about a vertical incision, but in the end, I am happy about it. #1 reason is that the recovery was much less painful than the horizontal incision I had years ago. #2 the incision is much smaller than a horizontal one would have been because the skin stretches open better in that area. I had a uterus the size of an 18-20 week pregnancy & my incision was only 4 inches long! It starts about 3 inches below my navel, so even my bikini panties cover most of it. #3 There is less blood loss with a vertical cut too.
Unread 03-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Hi - I've got 11 years on you and a 6" vertical incision. No B-I-F here!
Butt, if anything, I'm underweight.

joano
TAH at 54/kept Ov's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register