Dr not convinced I know I don't want kids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr not convinced I know I don't want kids? Dr not convinced I know I don't want kids?

Unread 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Dr not convinced I know I don't want kids?

I just came back from my two week post-op after having Lap. He said he removed my endo. and that I do have adeno. At my check up the nurses were surprised I was still having pain. He said it was normal to still be in pain since he burned off so much endo. After asking me one question he threw out there that I probably have IBS. He feels the endo. (now removed) and my IBS has caused my pain.

This isn't the first time I've been snapped diagnosed with something other than reproductive trouble. I had a horrible uterine infection that they instantly labeled IC. Put me on pills and everything and they didn't work. When they finally gave me Flagyl, I felt good again. (Don't know where I got this from as I, too, COPYEDITOR, have been monogamous w/ great husband and I try to be a clean chick.)

Dr maintains that Hyst. is the only cure for adeno. Fine, I'm 38, never had children and have come to terms with that. I'm ready to feel good every month after 25 years! I want that hyst! But, my question is, is it possible that removal of endo. can make you feel so good that you don't know you have adeno? Dr says I have to wait and see if I become pain free over the next two/three weeks. I'm scared to death of my next period. Also, my husband thinks the Dr isn't pushing hyst. because he's afraid I'll change my mind about the children thing. Have any of you been through this? I guess I'm looking for the clearest route to the possibility of living free from pelvic pain and don't want to have things questioned too much at this point. I'm tired. (Also, I feel I have very good reasons, besides infertility, for my choice to not bear children. Sort of long story.)

Thank you all for your posts and replies. Just reading them has helped me so much. Much love, Em

Side note COPYEDITOR: I'm so sorry you've gotten the runaround too. It does shove you into depression when you have to live with pain and the medical profession scratches their collective heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I know how you feel

I have been married for 20 years, and we decided not to have babies. I had a tubal ligation about 12 years ago, I did not want to take B.C. pills anymore. But my misery started in 2001, I thought I was going to die, I was in so much pain, before, during and after periods. My periods were 'ruining' my life! I had uterine fibroids, and nothing relieved the pain, nothing worked! I was crying I was in so much pain. I had long talks with my wonderful doctor, eventhough, the TAH would be the remedy in my case, he was against it, in case I changed my mind about children etc...etc...(he would have even reversed the tubal ligation). I was 41! After a couple more ultra sounds, my doctor was convinced that I had suffered enough, and that children were and will still out of the question for me. I even set a 2 months delay for TAH, in case I changed my mind, (that was two more months of physical agony). My 'date' came finally. I had my surgery, it was a long recovery, it's been almost 3 years now, and it's been a new life since! I have bad dreams sometimes that I still have my 'periods'!
This my story, good luck!
Ikoyi
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM

My Dr and Ins Co gave me the same runaround. I am 28 and I have already had 2 children, and I had by tubes tied the day after i had my 2nd son. My husband and I decided then not to have anymore. Well after I tied my tubes about a year later is when my trouble started. I started with just going wks at a time with aunt Flo, but for the past 2yrs I have had a period. I have only been off of it for a total of 4mths. Not very good for the bedroom.

Anyway I finally told my Dr I wanted a Hysterectomy so I did not have to go through this anymore. Her first response to me was are you sure, you could always have a reversal and have more kids.... I think it is so funny how some medical professional's can just assume they know what you want. It made me really think about it and I started doubting myself. My husband and I started looking into how much a reversal cost. I figured I would just go back on the pill and in a few years maybe we would decide to have another one. Then I remembered why I tied my Tubes in the 1st place. Then I got upset at my Dr and my Ins. for assuming they knew what was best for me. Well needless to say I finally convinced both of them that I do not want anymore children and the Surgery would be best for me. Everybody is different though. You have to go by what is going to be good for you. It is a very tough decision to make and it isn't something to take lightly. If you have made your decision to have one and you feel good about it don't let other people make you doubt yourself. I will be praying for you to make the right decision.

Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Thank you for your stories ikoyi and cat0303! This process almost gets wishy washy on you when it seems that what you know you need is being doubted. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
adeno answer

It is posibble to have adeno and have no symptoms. I found out 4.5 weeks ago after a lap that was actually done to resolve a cyst and was having other shooting pains all around my lower pelvis. When I was first diagnosed I had just come off BC, still had light bleeding, pain not terrible. This month off the hormones, heavy bleeding, sever pain. Thought at first this was in my head, but I really don't think I can phsyc myself into having to run to the bathroom in the morning for fear of bleeding everywhere. I talked to the doc that is doing the surg(not the same doc that diagnosed, long story) about this and he stated that BC controls the pain and other side effects of adeno, and that the first month of the pill the hormone levels are still there although you are not protected from pregnancy. Hopfully if all goes well I will only have 1 more visit from Aunt FLO before my surgery, yippy. TO answer about docs being concerned about more babies or any at all, only you know what you really want and you have to listen to your heart on this one. I knew we didn't want any more as my DH had a VAS last Oct, this is the reason I went of BC in the first place. With this my diagnosing doc still was not convinced we were done, we have 2 children DS 5yo and DD almost 2 yo. Until he played a cruel joke on me with the pregnancy test given before the lap, came back in asking who had done DH's VAS, convincing me that it was posative, at which point I nearly passed out and started crying uncontrolablly. I think he got the picture then, now I can Hope this helps some and was not to long winded, Ang
Unread 06-29-2005, 03:11 PM

DAWSKAR!

One of my concerns is that the removal of endo will NOT do anything about the pain that the adeno. causes. I think it sounds like you have pain as I do with your adeno. My Dr says I have to wait two more weeks to see if the Lap surgery did anything. My period will come around again during that time and I'm afraid. I'm just not convinced my endo. has been causing all my pain. I truly think it has been both endo AND adeno. I'm trying to do as he says and believe the surgery worked but I know I've been suffering too long for it all to go away that easily. Plus, I'm still on pain meds now. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just going on and on trying to get an answer that I won't have until Aunt Flo comes along. If it's a bad one then I guess I will know for certain what's causing my pain. Thanks for listening and replying.
Unread 06-29-2005, 05:56 PM

I am also dreading the next less than welcome visit from Aunt Flo. I hope for your sake that it is cleared up and you no longer have to deal with the pain and hopefully will not have to face a hyst. GL Ang
Unread 06-29-2005, 08:02 PM

I have three kids ages 19, 14, & 13 and I knew for a fact I didn't want anymore kids. That didn't stop my doctor from asking me fifty times am I sure I didn't want anymore kids. I knew this 8 years ago when I got my tubes tied. I know they must be careful because we sometime say one thing but change it later. It just get on my nerves sometime. I understand just wanting to feel normal for a change. I can't wait. I want to be able to plan a vacation and not pray that aunt flo don't show. I got to the point where I believed my DH was married to aunt flo and not me. Anyway, whatever you decided just make sure it's the best for you. Only you know your body and what you will be happy with.
Unread 06-30-2005, 07:25 AM

My situation is kind of different, but I had horrible endo, never had any kids (had endo since age 18), plus I'm in college--not ready for that!! The hyst has helped tremendously with my pelvic pain, although I should add that I never had adeno. Point is, even though I was told it was probably inevitable, they (and I) put if off WAY too long (in my opinion) because of my age. I was 22 when I had my hyst (which was about 7 months ago). I knew the consequences, cause I hadn't even gotten to the point of knowing whether I wanted kids, I'm not even married! But the benefits outwieghed the risks for me, and come to find out, my uterus, etc. was so messed up from tumors and cysts and endo--it was gross. There was no way I was ever going to get pregnant anyway, but the point is, I didn't know that going in. I "thought" it would never happen, but I had to make the decision if I was going to do this or not. I have no regrets. Its the best thing I've ever done. I'm finally normal now!!
But it was hard, cause every doctor in the world thought just because of my age, of course I want to have kids someday--well, first off, not everyone wants children (or pregnancy, maybe they just want to adopt), and secondly, I will not risk my health or my life for something that probably won't happen anyway.
So I know what it's like to get the run-around. My ins. co. refused to pay, so I just paid out of pocket. I had to do it. And I'm glad I did!
Unread 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM

I was 39, long time married, my doctor asked me the same question as I do not have any kids. I pointed out that my husband had a vasectomy years ago and that shut him right up.

The female doctor took me at my word, which was appreciated, but made me sign about 1,000 pages stating I understood I would no longer be able to bear children after the surgery (couldn't bear them before, either :0)

Frankly, I think it is quite insulting for a doctor be presumptious enough to tell YOU what YOU want. 'Those silly women don't know what they want, good thing they have us clever/powerful/wise men to guide them' .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register