Robotic vs. abdominal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Robotic vs. abdominal hysterectomy Robotic vs. abdominal hysterectomy

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Robotic vs. abdominal hysterectomy

I am scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy at the end of March and had a second opinion with a surgeon who performs it robotically. I have scar tissue from a previous c-section, tubal, and ablation, and I have high blood pressure so I worry about being under anesthesia a long time. My gyn for 20 years who performed the c-section is prepared to do it abdominally but the surgeon who doesn't know me thinks I should do it robotically. i am thinking it is better to have the doctor who knows me perform it and although the recovery is longer, it is a cut and dry procedure to do it abdominally which she has done over and over. I am stressed about which procedure to have done. Any advice would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Re: Robotic vs. abdominal hysterectomy

Is the davinci surgeon highly experienced, including dealing with extensive scar tissue?that's one reason they end up converting to abdominal so you could start davinci and end abdominal if things get tricky. If length of surgery is an issue, davinci often does take longer. I'd ask the davinci Dr about his experience, conversion rate, and time estimate before I went that route. Davinci surgery isn't always easier to recover from---although for some it is--so the other factors are important. It's a hard choice and either way I hope it goes well for you.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM

The surgeon came highly recommended from another surgeon and he has performed about 1000 of these procedures. He is affiliated with a major city hospital. He supposedly is a great doctor and he rarely has to convert to an abdominal surgery. I believe he said 1%. I think my major apprehension is that a robot is doing the surgery, longer anesthesia time, and not having a comfort level with a doctor I've known for 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Actually the surgeon controls the robotic arms so it's not a separate thing, if that helps. He does sound very experienced. Either surgeon seems a good choice. But bottom line is your comfort level and rapport with the surgeon, assuming both are competent (sounds like both are). No matter how good the Dr, if you aren't comfortable, go with what makes you comfortable. Davinci has a lot of hype and yes it has advantages, but as you say, there are drawbacks, too. I think they both sound like they could be a good choice. It sounds like you would prefer your usual GYN. Best wishes making the decision that feels right for you.
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM

I've been debating the exact same decision. My doctor, who I have a great relationship with and trust completely, doesn't do Davinci. She feels laparoscopic would end up being abdominal because the biggest fibroid is high and behind my belly button.

A friend of mine had Davinci a few years ago so I could consult her doctor, but I just don't know if I want to since I'm so comfortable with my doctor. My friend didn't have an exactly easy recovery with Davinci. She returned to work at week 5 and was so tired she took mid-day naps in an empty office.

I'm thinking just for the mental peace of mind, I'll stick with TAH with my doctor. I don't know if a couple of weeks of speedier healing is worth the anxiety it would cause me to switch doctors.

All the best to you!
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM

I had a TAH with vertical incision and it went great - very quick and easy recovery. I had a much easier time than a lot of DaVinci people I read about in the post op forum.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM

I had a TAH with the bikini line cut, ~6-7 inches. From what I have read, it is a shorter surgery - 1-1/2 - 2 hrs as opposed to 3-4 hrs. Also, with the abdominal, you may have an option for a spinal block and sedative instead of general anesthesia. I have large fibroids and a chance of cancer (needed to be removed whole) and my uterus was to big for a vaginal, so abdominal was really my only option. Robotic surgery goes longer becausee it takes longer to maneuver and get everything done. Prayers you get good counsel and can make a good decision.
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:00 PM

:new I had the same issue...female GYN wanted to slice bikini line but I got a second opinion from a male GYN who specializes in using Davinci. The female doc spent 7 minutes mostly covering the abdominal procedure...the male doc spent an hour going through each procedure. I felt at ease with the idea of a more humane approach to this surgery, since it HAS to be done to get rid of my fibroids. I didn't want to have my mother's surgery! Do all the research and make the best decision for you, weighing the pros and cons :-)

I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register