need help, surgery in two days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need help, surgery in two days need help, surgery in two days

Unread 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM
need help, surgery in two days

Hi all l found this site and am happy,i am having lap hysterectomy and am scared,i have adenmyosis and don't know what to expect..any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Re: need help, surgery in two days

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzavery View Post
Hi all l found this site and am happy,i am having lap hysterectomy and am scared,i have adenmyosis and don't know what to expect..any help would be great
and

I'm sorry you have to endure the surgery however, I had adenomyosis and I can say that the hysterectomy definitely took care of that part of my woes!

You should probably take a look at the pre-op section. There is LOTS of info over there. Here is a link https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm

I had a different type of hysterectomy. I had a total abdominal hyst w/bilateral oopherectomy (they took all my girly parts through a large incision across my 'bikini line'). I was still living with my parents at the time so I had someone taking care of me after my 4 day hosp stay. I can't speak to what recovery will be like becasue the surgeries are very different. I believe the laproscopic hyst is less invasive. But I don't know a lot about it. You can read more about your type of surgery here: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie...sterectomy.htm

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you! Be sure to cruse around the different sections of this website. There is so much information. I wish you the best of health and just remember you are not alone!!

and don't forget to

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Hi angelzavery! to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you have to have a hysterectomy, but glad you found this site.

I know this is a very scary experience, and that your head is spinning right now. We really understand what you are going through.

Everyone is different on recovery, however, you need to think in terms of weeks, not days, for recovery. You will be very, very exhausted after surgery. You will need help at home with dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning, driving, shopping, etc. You will have lifting restrictions - no more than 10 lbs for six weeks. You will need to take time off work - how long depends on what you do, and how your recovery goes. But, you will need a few weeks. You can then move SLOWLY back into your life. 100% recovery can take months. Above all, listen carefully to your body - you only get one chance to heal right.

Like the other sister, I had a TAH BSO, and took 3 weeks off work. I then went back, but could only do part time for 4 more weeks. And that was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH. It took me 15 to 18 months before I was 100%.

Above all, know that you are not alone - never on this site!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzavery View Post
It is perfectly normal to be afraid and have pre-op jitters; it proves that you are human. Hopefully you can work through those emotions and come to a place of acceptance.

One thing that helped me was information, so I could make an informed decision. Ask questions about anything that is perplexing you, and keep asking until you understand...

Unread 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM

I am so understanding the worries you have..I have to tell you that my recovery was slow but steady, no big issues, I was off my pain pills in about 6 days, just taking Ibuprophen at night before bed.

My incisions healed just fine without issue, It was a good thing that grocery stores had ride on carts for the first few times I went shopping, then after that I just leaned on the regular cart if I got tired...so really pretty unremarkable...at the time it didn't feel so unremarkable...it hurts, it gets so old not being to just jump up and do what I wanted to do when i wanted to do it! Just remember that it will pass, you will get better, things will get back to normal...hang in there...read read read on here, and ask questions!

Lee
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:12 AM

Thank you to all of you,i Will post my recovery next week, hoping that this will be better then the pain i am in every 26 days on rotation..I'm tired all the time and have 2 young kids to look after, looking forward to a much more normal life.i was reading some really bad stories on her and got myself really scared because they say there is risks where they could nick another part and cause damage.m my other fear is pain killers,i can't tolerate anything but Advil, does anyone know if i could manage on just Advil after surgery? Thanks for your support ladies..hugs
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Talk w/your doctor and the anesthesiologist before surgery about any allergies or issues with pain tolerance and medications. I had a morphine 'push' IV drip after surgery (which caused some nausea) and 600mg ibuprofen (prescription strength Motrin) after the IV was disconnected.

Also, may I suggest getting childcare for the first 2-3 weeks post-op for your young ones...
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM

Hi angelzavery-

There are risks with any surgery, that is a given fact. However, the risks are minimal. Keep in mind that people post when things go bad, not when they go fine. It is just human nature. So you can get a skewed view of things at times. I had a TAH BSO and nothing got nicked. I never posted that - even though that is what occurred.

Talk to your doctor about pain meds. There are many options out there - not just narcotics. I was on narcotics and 600 mg Motrin for the first 4 days, and then just 600 mg Motrin after that.

And you will need help with your little ones for a few weeks, as well as the rest of the household stuff: dishes, cooking, cleaning, driving, laundry, etc. And be sure to take enough time off work so that you can heal.

Unread 05-25-2013, 07:21 PM

I here you, I was so worried about the risks, I was paralyzed. My 9 yr old is so attached to me. I am a scientist and researched the risks. They are not zero but for someone young and healthy as I felt I was, they are certainly acceptable. Heck even for someone older and in poor health, they are reasonable. Anyway, I have the opposite problem - I am allergic to Advil, Motrin, etc. I was able to be tested and could take Celebrex which helped but is quite pricey. Also if you cannot take one class of painkillers there are others. Anesthesiologist may also be able to give a spinal block or some other way to deal with immediate post op pain. They pain was tough for the first few days and I was glad to have narcotics. I could have managed without but much less comfortably so worth exploring. Also, lap approach is associated with less pain and less complications (like infection, bleeding) than an open surgery so you are in good shape there. Lastly, when I was an in patient, I made sure everyone washed hands and asked when they did not or if they used gloves to open a drawer and then touch my incision. Sure I was the annoying patient - yet I was looking out for my health for me and my son. Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Very helpful information! I got sick before my surgery and have new postponed it, my kids are very needy right now and ankh thinking of waiting until winter when they are in school, any more advice? Love as much as you are all Willing to give

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register