Having second thoughts about surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having second thoughts about surgery Having second thoughts about surgery

Unread 08-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Having second thoughts about surgery

Hi
I'm having a vaginal hysterectomy on Thursday. The doctor is leaving my ovaries. I am nervous about what is going to happen to my body once the surgery is over. Everyone I've talked to says they feel the same and they have no problems. From what I've read on line and heard from TV, there are as many women with sexual disfunction and other problems because of the surgery. I'm also concerned heart disease, osteoporosis, and ageing sooner than I really need too. What am I to believe?

I am really having second thoughts about having this surgery right now.

Any encouragement?

Jojothyme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2001, 06:59 PM
Don't believe everything you hear!

You need to start thinking more positively! I was reading a bunch of negative stuff in one book I purchased, and thought the same thing as you did. Then, I started talking to others who have had hysterectomies, and they said it's the best thing they have ever done. It's like why did they wait so long. You are only having a partial correct? You won't even have to go on hormones yet. You'll be just fine. You do not age faster either. From what I've heard, you will feel wonderful after the 6 weeks post-op.

I'm having a complete hysterectomy and I'm 48 years old. I'm not having any more children, so I figure after you start menopause, (which I have), the overies eventually die off anyway. Besides, just think you'll never have to worry about planning vacations anymore around your period. That's the part I'm excited about.

You'll be better than ever, and so will I. We must think positive and know our health is in God's hands. Our guardian angels will be with us during surgery and afterwards. I'll pray for you.

Please shake your fears away, and know it will be worth going through.

Connie Jean
Unread 08-12-2001, 07:40 PM

I don't have any advice for you since I'm getting my surgery on Thursday also. I'm a little scared too but, I can't wait for no more pain and bleeding. I've been having problems for years and when I had a D&C last month the doctor recommended I get a hyst. for uterine prolapse. I'm very nervous too. Just ask my husband, lol.
It's normal to be nervous and its also normal to have doubts. Just stay positive. I'll be thinking of you !!!!! Take care and let us know how everything goes! Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2001, 08:02 PM

HI,

I'M TO HAVING SURGERY ON THURSDAY 8/16/01.WITH THE PAIN AND BLEEDING I WILL BE GLAD TO GET IT OVER. BECAUSE IT SURE DON'T GET BETTER NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I HOPE YOU GET RID OF YOUR FEARS.TALK WITH YOUR DR. IF THERE IS NO OTHER WAY YOU BETTER DO SOME THING BEFOR IT STARTS OTHER PROBLEMS I HAVE A LOT OF HEALTH PROBLEMS TO INCLUDING THE ONES YOU NAMED I HAVE EVEN HAD 2 STROKES.AND AUTHERIS. OVER 75% OF MY BODY.AFTER THIS SURGERY IS OVER I STILL HAVE TO GO BACK FOR NECK SURGERY.I HAVE 3 HERNATED DISC IN MY NECK WITH DETERATING ARTHURIS.BUT I WOULD RATHER GOD TAKE ME ONE PEICE AT A TIME AND LET ME LIVE MY LIFE.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU MAY GOD LIFT YOUR FEARS AWAY.
Unread 08-12-2001, 08:07 PM

I'm having my surgery tomorrow, and believe me, I've had plenty of second thoughts! It all boils down to how you feel when you're at your worst. Can you deal with things if it becomes more like that all the time? For me, I thought ahead in the year, and I know that if I have my period at Christmas, I'll have to stay home. If I have my period on track and field day at my kid's school, I'll have to stay home. I bleed way too much, my uterus is dropping, and I can't do this for 15 or so more years until menopause. So, tomorrow's the big day. (If I can get out of the car in the hospital parking lot!)
Unread 08-12-2001, 08:52 PM

Hi Jojo

I know just how overwhelming this surgery can be. It surely doesn't help when we're hearing conflicting information.

Jojo: a hysterectomy is almost always a surgery to improve your quality of life. It is rarely a life or death situation. Because of this, we have to weigh the pros and cons very seriously. Only you, and your doctor, know just how much your symptoms are affecting your health and your quality of life. Sometimes, as I did, you only realise after your surgery how much your life is affected by your symptoms.

It is true that some women have found their lives adversely affected. Just hop over on The Road Less Travelled message board to meet a few. However, as the title of that message board tells you, this is not the case for most of us. Most of us require 6 to 8 weeks to ease back into our normal activites and 6 months to 1 year to fully recover. And we never have another hyst-related problem. Others are not that lucky.

Statistically, about 30 percent of women have adverse effects from the surgery. There is such a risk with just about any surgery, even with something as simple as a tonsilectomy.

As far as heart disease, osteoporosis, and ageing sooner are concerned, those are all risks associated with having your ovaries removed and, most of those, are greatly reduced thanks to the right combination of HRT.

Most of the women I have ever talked to, including my MIL who had her hyst 40 years ago, agree that the hysterectomy has changed their lives for the better. It's also been my experience.

That said, you still have the right and the option to change your mind and either postpone your surgery until you are confident that this is the right option for you or to cancel it altogether and explore other options that might be available for you. After all, an hysterectomy is irreversable and you should be VERY confident that this is the best choice for you.

Whatever your decision, we'll be with you every step of the way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register