Bright red blood at 5 weeks post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bright red blood at 5 weeks post-op? Bright red blood at 5 weeks post-op?

Unread 12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Bright red blood at 5 weeks post-op?

Hi Girls,
Monday will be 5 weeks for me. I have been bleeding (pinkish) all along, more than just spotting. However, today it becam bright read! I was a bit alarmed and after the second time I talked to the doctor on call who used to be my OB-GYN for years until this surgery when I moved to his partner that is an oncologist. He said not to worry and that it was probably jsut a polyp ot some stitches dissolving. But, it is more than just spotting, it is kind of like a period. Anyone else have this problem? I see my surgeon on Tuesday for a 5 week post-op, but wonder if I need to call him sooner. He did say if there were anything urgent I could always ask the exchange to bypass the oncall doc and page him directly. I just don't want to do that on his time off. He works WAY too many hours as it is. (Operates out of 13 hospitals in our area!)
Thanks gals!
Hugs and Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Feliz Navidad, etc.!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2008, 06:09 PM

if you are filling up a pad every half hour more or less, and/or have bad pain, I would definately call him or go to the E.R., but if not, I would rest as much as possible and call or see your surgeon monday morning. praying you feel better soon
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Yes, if you are soaking a pad I would call your dr. or go to er.. Keep up posted. Hope the bleeding stops soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2008, 08:21 PM

My surgeon told me that I was to call if I saw any bright red blood. I think if it doesn't let up and you feel worried, you should feel free to make the second call. He gave you the option for a reason. It's his choice to work so much - chances are he's working somewhere anyway.

I hope it settles down and is nothing.

Have happy holidays too!
Unread 12-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Library Diva - this past Friday night (almost 4 weeks post surgery) I had bright red bleeding and as you say almost like I had started a period. Earlier in the week I had talked to a nurse and she had told me call if there is bright red blood. I called (of course they had to get the surgeon at home) He told me, as it sounds you were told, that this is probably a stitch that came lose, it's normal and to take it easy because this can happen as you get more active. He told me if it would make me feel better he'd see me on Monday. I wasn't soaking a bad or anything but it was more than I expected. It let up Saturday night but I'm still seeing more pinkish than I had before but I'll probably cancel out for Monday morning. Oh one other thing check any meds or supplements you are taking. If you are taking aspirin or extra Vitamin E they could be having a blood thinning effect as well and causing you to bleed a bit more instead of clot as easily. I had started to take mine again but decided nope we're stopping this until sometime in January.
Unread 12-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi TaurusLady,

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better. I do take an 81mg aspirin daily per my cardiologist (I also take a med daily to avoid Atrial Fibrillation). I started taking the aspirin again about two days after my surgery. I'll have to talk to the doc and the cardiologist about stopping it. A Fib can cause blood clots, stroke, heart attack, etc.......... and the cardiologist really wants me to take the aspirin.
So far I have gone to the bathroom twice this morning and nothing but I am also just now getting my lazy tush out of bed. Were you having any cramping with yours? I hadn't really had wny until yesterday when the change in bleeding occured.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Library Diva - nope no cramping, I had been spotting so I had a pad on and all of a sudden as I was standing there I was like "this feeling reminds me of having a period" I guess felt some of the bleeding. I went to rest room and yep there was the bright red blood similar to what would be a first day of period. I never cramped ever the rest of the night or into Saturday morning. Finally Saturday evening it started to slow down and today looks like I might be back to the pinkish light discharge. If that's where I stay today I'll tell him I'm okay and will wait for my regular appointment. I didn't have any other pain either.
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Hi Girls,

I am feeling a bit guilty. I have my 5 week post-op appt. tomorrow and the docs office called and asked if I would be willing to postpone it for a couple of weeks, I guess he is overbooked. I rarely say "No" to anyone, but in light of my newly acquired bright red bleeding I said I'd really prefer to keep the appt. I feel bad because maybe there is someone else out there with more trouble that needs an appt., but I have been bleeding like a period (but pink for the first 4 1/2 weeks) ever since surgery and it kind of has me worried. Am I stupid to feel guilty?
I can be such a wimp sometimes!
Thanks for listening!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

I don't think you're a wimp; sometimes you have to put yourself first. If you're feeling uncomfortable than you need to keep the appointment. They were probably running their list and trying to see who they could reschedule for whatever reason. Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Library Diva

Library Diva,

You are not a wimp! Besides, you have questions and concerns. If you are bleeding, you need to be checked. You shouldn't wait a couple of weeks, and you shouldn't feel guilty for caring about your health. If it was your best friend, wouldn't you want her to get help? Well, then, be your own best friend. You deserve to be healthy and live an abundant life. Please keep us posted.

I hope and pray all will be well with you! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

SeaPea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register