Having LSH on Friday, 02/05 - no overnight hospital stay, good decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having LSH on Friday, 02/05 - no overnight hospital stay, good decision? Having LSH on Friday, 02/05 - no overnight hospital stay, good decision?

Unread 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Having LSH on Friday, 02/05 - no overnight hospital stay, good decision?

My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. and my doctor said I'd be in recovery for 1 to 3 hours then be sent home. Is this normal? I have two friends who have had the surgery in January and both stayed overnight. I'm also worried about recovery. I've been prescribed Percoset and Tordol - anyone else use Tordol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Re: Having LSH on Friday, 02/05 - no overnight hospital stay, good decision?

I stayed overnight for my surgery. I didn't think they would let you go home that soon. I thought Tordol was an IV drug because it sounds like the IV drug that I had to have because I am allergic to demoral. I have used percoset. I had LAV. with overies remaining. I would ask your dr about maybe staying overnight if that is what you want to do.
Unread 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM

My dr. told me if she can do mine lapro, I will stay in one night and if she has to do abdominal because of scar tissue, it will be two or three nights. If you are concerned about being sent home the same day (and I would be too), I'd suggest calling your dr to talk about it. Maybe he will agree to let you stay overnight. And I would mention my worries about going home to the nurses who take care of you after the surgery. They might tell the dr. you're not ready yet to leave.

Sending you smiles and star filled wishes ~~ StarryNite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2010, 12:50 AM

Hi Fivestepsinva,

I had a LSH and I had it as an outpatient. I had surgery at 7:30 AM and I went home at 6 PM. I also was concerned about not spending the night...and as it turned out...it worked out okay. You might ask your Dr. if you can have the *option* to spend the night if needed.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-31-2010, 09:52 AM

I had LSH on January 15th. Checked in at 6 am, and checked out at 3pm. They were expecting me to be out sooner but I didn't want to wake from my drug induced sleep

I was able to walk to the bathroom in the recovery area. No pain on the drive home (45 min) and able to get in and out of bed on my own. My friend got me comfortable at home and then went home himself, but I gave him my key and carried my phone around in case I needed him and I actually didn't.

At my 2 wk post op, doc said my incisions were looking good and I could resume normal activities in one week but to pay attention to pain. She was happy that I was already off all pain meds and that my recovery was pretty smooth so far.

Everyone is different. If you are concerned because you have no one to help then ask your doc to keep you overnight and if when you are in recovery you don't feel up to leaving then have them page your doc and see if you could stay over night.
Unread 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM

I went home the same day from having my LSH (left ovaries and cervix)Nov 4th, 09 and it worked out well for me to do that. I was in surgery from 9:30am until 12:30, then awaken at 1:30 and went home at 6:30pm. I took my time in the recovery area, until I felt confident about going home. I got the ok around 3:00 (once I was able to walk to the bathroom and pee).
I am 47 and in good health, and felt very confident in my Doctor, so I felt very ok about going home when I did. I was even able to walk up a flight of stairs to my bedroom, which surprised me.
I took Oxycodone (Percoset) and didn't like it, since it made me nauseous. Tylenol was a better choice for me. I don't know what Torodol is.
I'd recommend talking with your surgeon this week and ask them about your option to stay overnight if you feel you may need to on the 5th. That's what I did. I felt good knowing I could stay if I wanted to stay overnight. It eased my stress level a lot.
I'm really happy I had the LSH. I feel so much better than I did prior to the surgery, and the recovery was not as painful as the "pressure" pain I had for the 9 months prior to the surgery.
You'll be so relieved once you start feeling like yourself again.
C
Unread 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM

I had my LSH Monday and went home same day. I have DaVinci and I am not sure if you are having that or not. I did have the option of staying the night if I wanted. They left it up to me. But I was so wide awake, I felt good enought to go, so I was out by 3:30.
Unread 02-01-2010, 07:59 AM

I had my LSH at 12:30 p.m. and was released to go home at 7:30 p.m. the same day. I was cleared because I passed the "pee" test and was not in any significant pain so I thought it would be ok. I had a long night at home with the gas pains but I think I was more comfortable at home that being in the hospital. Everyone is different, and as others have suggested, I would visit with your doctor about any concerns you may have. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how decent (I wont say good, but decent) you feel after your surgery, but I was in so much pain with my fibroids and tilted uterus that I felt better instantly that thing was removed.

As far as the meds, I was only on percoset and got along just fine. Good luck and just keep the communication open with your doc...it will be fine.
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi Fivestepsinva,

I also had a LSH with a LSO (left salpingo oopherectomy)... I was discharged the same day and at first thought I wasn't going to like this, but almost immediately upon arriving home and being in my own bed was SO glad that I was there and NOT at the hospital. All my kids were gone for a week so that was huge and I will admit if that weren't the case - I'd have wanted to stay overnight. But usually - if you're staying overnight the discharge will happen early in the morning. I can say that the morning after my surgery - the LAST thing I'd want to do is have to get up early and take the car ride home - for whatever reason, the ride home was totally do-able the day of the surgery (perhaps the IV pain meds they give in recovery- and ask for them as soon as you wake up!). I had phengrin administered to me along with my last dose of pain med in the hospital which was great to combat the very minimal nasuea i had as well as it really helps you to sleep (on the ride home as well as when you first get home).

I was prescribed percoset and ibuprofen. I have taken torodol before and it's a great non-narcotic pain reliever. I did not take that with my LSH and can't attest to how well it works on that kind of pain.

My UTMOST recommendation to you is not to worry about leaving that day - but to start super hydrating now - serioulsy. I'd start taking benefiber now and drinking tons of water and eating shredded wheat - but water water water is the key. Percosets are very constipating as is the surgery itself (for multiple reasons). The most uncomfortable part of this recovery in my experience was the major constipation that followed and I feel like my calling is to warn women of this very thing.

Take care and good luck on Friday - you're going to be so glad when this is all over. I'm almost three weeks post-op (tomorrow) and am feeling almost back to normal - just getting really tired in the evenings but almost all soreness is gone. And I'm SO glad I had this done- I feel GREAT emotionally and all that. I had no idea how bad I really felt until it was just gone from me...

HUGS.
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM

I didn't have a same day hysterectomy but I did have a partially laproscopic repair of an incisional hernia that developed following my hysterectomy that was day surgery. And boy was I glad it was. Because the ride home in the car would have been so much more uncomfortable the next day after the anesthesia and the pain meds from the surgery started to wear off.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register