What happens right before surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happens right before surgery? What happens right before surgery?

Unread 01-30-2008, 08:58 PM
What happens right before surgery?

Every hospital and doctor has their own protocol on when someone gets positioned for surgery, regardless of what kind. That said, if you're nervous about being put into stirrups before you're sedated, you can always ask that you be at least sedated - if not completely under - first.

When you get into the OR itself, it will be very cold and the OR table will be narrower than you think. The anesthesiologist will place sensors on your chest (EKG with only a few wires) to monitor your heart, a BP cuff on your arm, pulse-ox (clip with the red light) on your finger, and perhaps another monitoring tool or two. They will also put large velcro straps across your body - think of them as seat belts - so there's no chance you'll fall off that narrow table. The anesthesiologist may put your head on a foam ring and place a mask over your face. At this point it's probably only oxygen but it can still be unnerving. Pretty quickly, if they haven't done it already, the anesthesiologist will start putting medicine into your IV. Your arm may sting a bit, but you'll be sedated before you really notice.

All of this will happen very quickly. They're used to just doing it but there's no reason why you can't ask them to slow down and let you adjust to your surroundings. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need in order to feel comfortable or safe.

Also, just so you know, one or more of the anesthesia medications, depending on what they use, has the added purpose of induced amnesia. That's a big reason why people don't remember what happened - blame it on the drugs. It's not such a bad thing.

Roberta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM

If you are going to be out, you will be none the wiser of how you are positioned for the surgery. I remember them giving me the meds to knock me out but after that, not much else. My pre-op nurse told me that patients actually transfer themselves from the rolling bed to the operation table but in the 3 female surgeries I have had, I have no recollection of that. Ah, the beauty of good drugs...haha

Best wishes to you on the 7th Tina!
Unread 02-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Becky,

Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck to you on your road to recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register