BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy

Unread 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy

I have the BRCA2 gene. I'm having a total davinchi hysterectomy November 14 and a complete bilateral mastectomy/reconstruction on December 15. Anyone who has gone through this? Id love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Re: BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy

Hi! I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago..had EVERYTHING removed. It's been rough! Concerning the mastectomy..I was planning on getting a prophylactic mastectomy done at 35. cancer beat me to it. I'm 35, but was diagnosed with breast cancer at 32, and had a bi-lateral done..no reconstruction yet. I'm also BRCA+ as well as HER2/NEU+ (my breast cancer gene). Several of my relatives have had prophylactic mastectomies with reconstruction. I was not allowed reconstruction at surgery time bc the dr's were not exactly sure of all what they would find. My hysterectomy was done prophylactically. Let me know if there is anything u need help with!
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM

i am 36 and was diagnosed with BRCA1 in August after my mother died within 5 weeks from undetected ovarian cancer. i later found out that my grandmother probably had it and my fathers mother had breast cancer and died from it. I am having a complete hysterectomy in a couple of weeks and a double mastectomy 3 months later. I have 3 kids thank g-d but would have liked more. i feel that i was blessed with them and just have to do this for them and my husband. you talked about help after the surgeries. i hated to do this because i felt i can do everything but i asked friends and they are going to plop themselves in my house if i need them. i only have 1 sibling who lives far away and both my parents are deceased and he is coming for a few days once my husband goes back to work after 2 days of being with me. i hope the surgeries went well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM

My bilateral mastectomy/ reconstruction is scheduled for Jan 5. I'm recovered fully from my hysterectomy. I feel great. Only thing is the reconstruction takes about a year from start to finish. So that's alot to deal with. I'm just taking it one day at a time! Hugs to you surgery is hard but thank the Lord we have this option that our parents and grandparents didn't have!
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM

my hysterectomy is jan 5th but my reconstruction will only be about 6 months. i am getting implants not the abdominal reconstruction. i didnt want to go through that long recovery. we can think of each other
thanks so much
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm getting implants too! My dr said with the fills, then implants, then nipple reconstruction it's about a year total. All drs are different. We have surgery on the same day! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Red face - BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy Re: BRCA2 gene/hysterectomy/mastectomy

Hi everyone!

I too am BRCA2+, and had my ovaries out laparoscopically this past September. A week from tomorrow (on Feb 29th), I am having preventative mastectomies and reconstruction.

I am nervous and sick about the surgery itself. I hate having to live this next week feeling like this. But then again, I have to remember what I am AVOIDING. Cancer, chemo, radiation....and those of us that do this will only have temporary discomfort. I had rush surgery last spring when they found 2 masses in my breast. They ended up being benign, but let me tell you, the 3 days of waiting for those results is something I NEVER want to go through again. So, this is it. I've always wanted smaller boobs anyway, lol.

I wish everyone the best in their journey. I know once the surgery is done, I will be SO relieved. I just want it overwith and the anxiety is through the roof. But then I have to shift my mind onto WHY I'm doing this. A very good reason.

I'll be looking forward to continually reading everyone's updates.

Christie
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM

i am 6 weeks post op from my hystatrectomy and am having some menopausal issues but physically am good. my bilateral mastectomy is april 25th. i am also starting to get nervous. we are doing the right thing it is just hard to swallow. will be thinking of you. are you doing nipple sparing? i have a friend who keeps trying to get me to do it when i set my mind already not to have it done. i just dont want any chance.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Hi! I've had my double mastectomy - did not do nipple sparing because I wanted it all removed to prevent cancer. I'm in the middle of reconstruction now. Had a setback with a right side seroma which leaked but it's healed now. Next fill is march 16. Doing really well- VERY GLAD I did it. At first it's really hard with the drains but once they are removed its all so much easier . Good luck! Hugs!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks everyone!

I spoke with both my surgeons regarding the nipples. They say once you have had cancer, the nipple is a place where is can definitely come back to. However, it is EXTREMELY rare for cancer to start in the nipple area inside the breast. I told them whatever they want to do it fine with me. At this rate, I just want it done. The plastic surgeon said he will make a decision during surgery. I have utmost trust in him and will deal with whatever he decides.

Is it that the drains are painful, or are they just annoying to deal with?? Maybe I don't want to know the answer??? lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register