Ovarian cysts and need for a hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cysts and need for a hyst Ovarian cysts and need for a hyst

Unread 01-18-2001, 10:35 PM
Ovarian cysts and need for a hyst

Help,

I have just been diagnosed with a 10.5 cm fluid filled cyst with a thick wall surrounding it by cat scan. The ultrasound shows it has several compartments. My CA125 is only mildly elevated(39) and the cat scan shows not evidence of spread if this happens to be cancer. My GYN does not think it is cancerous but has recommended a total hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries. I am 39 y.o. and single with 4 adopted kids ages 5-11. It this does not appear to be cancer at the time of surgery (they will do a frozen section in the OR and be able to give a preliminary report which should be at least 95% accurate. Do I really have to have a total hysterectomy or is he being way to aggressive. I don't understand why they can't just remove the cyst and possibly the affected ovary verses being so radical. I completely understand that if it is cancer that there is no other option but if it's not? HELP

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2001, 01:32 AM

Hi. Your medical condition and your situation parallels mine. The size of the cyst on my right ovary is the same as yours. The CT reading is similar except that I also have small fibroids in a close to normal size uterus. The left ovary is normal in size but with small cysts within. A possible critical difference between us as it relates to treatment is that I am now 50 years old. I would be expected to begin normal menopause soon anyway, while you would not be expected to for some time.
5 years ago I had a uterine fibroid removed. I had a small ovarian cyst on the left ovary. The Dr. agreed to test the cyst for cancer and remove the entire ovary only if it was cancer. If not, he was to burst and remove only the cyst.
It turned out to be benign so I kept the ovary.
Now, because the cyst is large and is not spontaneously remitting within 60 days, I have been advised that it must be removed. The doctor also believes that the left ovary should be removed as well, because it shows many tiny cysts.
I have confidence in my GYN. What he told me was that
a cyst this large is dangerous to my longterm health if I was to keep the ovary that produced it, even if it was not cancer at this point. Ovarian cancer is rarely found in Stage 1 when it can be treated. It is only found when it has spread and when it is life-threatening. Therefore, there is a criteria to evaluate abnormalities of the ovary because it is widely believed that many abnormal conditions of the ovaries are precursors to cancer.
My GYN is very conservative and only does surgery when he believes it is absolutely necessary.
I did obtain another professional opinion which supported the first. I also checked medical references to confirm the interpretation and risks of the findings on MEDLINE through a friend's access.
I, too, would like to keep my ovaries if they are benign. But, I have decided that I am at too high a risk for cancer and do not wish to take that risk.
Best of luck to you in whatever you and your doctor decide to do.
The important thing is to insist on being given the rationale for everything that a doctor proposes to do to you in treatment. Your doctor owes you an explanation for his approach and should provide one that you can think about and decide whether to accept or reject.
Happy trails.
Unread 01-19-2001, 01:38 AM
PS

I would question why he would insist on removing the cervix, regardless of his opinion about removing both ovaries and the uterus. I have heard that leaving the cervix has many advantages. My doctor is leaving mine.
Look in to it before you have it taken out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2001, 04:29 PM

Hi,

I had a similar sized cyst 9cm about 12 yrs ago on my right ovary and never a mention of a hysterectomy. They had to cut me hip to hip and remove the cyst but that was it. If you are not having any other problems and don't have a long history of recurrent cysts I would say seek a SECOND opinion. After my cyst removal I have gone on to have 2 beautiful children. I am however not doing well on the female end of things. LIW lavh/bso Jan 29th. But I have other problems not just recurrent cysts. SO like I said if you have NO other problems and your periods are not harsh seek a second opinion please.

Good luck and keep us posted..
Unread 01-21-2001, 02:54 PM

Hi--

I had an ovarian cyst on my left ovary in '95 that was 20cm. Just this past fall they found one on my right ovary that was 30 cm. In each instance they had to remove the ovary because the cysts were external and they couldn't find any normal ovary because of the size. I am 30 years old, and as difficult as it was to have my other ovary removed last fall, my doctor said my uterus was healthy and didn't touch it, so that having children via egg donation would be an option. It seems to me that if cancer is not an issue that a total hysterectomy may be extreme. I would seek a second opinion. It's your body and you don't want to have any regrets. Hugs--Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register