upcomng surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

upcomng surgery upcomng surgery

Unread 04-10-2001, 05:48 PM
upcomng surgery

I am having a hysterectomy in late July. I have a fibroid that is the size of a 5 and 1/2 month fetus.
Wondering if anyone else has had a fibroid this size. I have had 2 cesarians and am hoping this
surgery is similar, but I am afraid it will be more involved. I have to wait until July because iof work commitments
but my main complaints are sore back, overactive bladder, because of the pressure and mylegs ache constantly.
2 questions. My doctor said I will lose a lot of weight, is this something others have experienced and my second
question, has anyone had a large fibroid like this and also faced a hysterectomy.
Thanks Jan Richards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2001, 06:10 PM
hi Jan

I had very large fibroids, one over 8 lbs and another about 4 lbs. However they grew very rapidly (mostly in a month's time) so I did not have time to experience too much discomfort (my surgery was scheduled in 2 weeks). I did feel very tired and had to go to the bathroom a lot because the pressure on my bladder. Keep an eye on the pre-op board for lots of good info that will help you through your wait and prepare you for surgery.
Unread 04-10-2001, 06:47 PM
response

Hi Sheri,

Thanks for the eply, will check the board for helpful information. My fibroids grew
quickly also, within a few months.

Thanks Jan Richards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2001, 07:03 PM
upcomng surgery

Hi, Jan. I had large fibroids, back aches and overactive bladder. Once I had the surgery, the back aches were gone and the pressure on my bladder was also gone. I don't even get up now during the night to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, I didn't lose a lot of weight from the surgery. I'm still the same size I was before. I think I lost a few pounds in the beginning, but that was from the liquid diet I had been on for a few days.
Unread 04-11-2001, 04:26 AM
upcomng surgery

Hi Jan. Just wanted to comment on your question about whether this is similar to a cesarian. I've never had a c-section, but from what I've read here, the recovery is much more than with a c-section.

I'm in my 4th week post-op for a TAH BSO and recovery is nowhere near complete. My belly is still sore (feels bruised) and my energy level is just starting to come back. I'm not complaining...I expected this and am having what I believe to be a normal recovery period. In fact, my DD won't even allow me to begin driving for another 2 wks, and still no lifting of anything. I've been off of pain pills for over 2 wks, DD just doesn't want any type of exertion to interfere with or slow down recovery.

Keep reading and you'll gather lots of information on what to expect. Of course, everyone is different, but I believe that the more information you have the better prepared you will be.

I didn't have my surgery for fibroids, so I can't comment on that.

Good luck to you!
Unread 04-11-2001, 05:57 AM
upcomng surgery

I am 14 days post op for a very large fibroid and adenomyosis.
My uterus on pelvic exam was 18-20 weeks which is
very enlarged. Yes, I had terrible bladder pressure causing
me to make frequent bathroom stops! My surgery
went well, and I am not going to the bathroom nearly as
often as before the surgery. I think my bladder may be
acting normally for a change.
I can't tell you about losing weight since I am too early
into recovery. Even at this stage, my stomach is not nearly
as large as it was before surgery. I had a problem with
severe nausea from the general and pain killers, and my
appetite still has not returned to normal. It would be nice
if I lost some weight. Due to the nausea, I had to go off
all pain killers after day 4. My neighbor had a hysterectomy
about 6 months ago for multiple fibroids and a very enlarged
uterus, and has lost alot of weight.
Unread 04-11-2001, 06:30 PM
thanks

Hi Catherine, Locki and Tina,

Your information is so helpful. I am so glad I found this site. Alll the information helps me
plan for my surgery, and you just cannot talk to just anyone. It is great to talk to others who
have been through it and can give you valuable information. Also the doctors only tell you
so much (just what they are going to do) and do not go into this kind of detail. I get reallly
uncomfortable now and find it hard to walk a lot, bend over, and get terrible cramping in my legs(like when I
was pregnant) Not Again!! My belly is really enlarged and I have suede skirts that I cannot
get into. (Suede does not stretch) . Unfortunately I cannot get the surgery done until later
because of work commitments (in my field it is better to do the job yourself, Ha Ha). Anyway I am
going to keep checking the board. One good thing, I am going to take a trip to my favourite
craft store and stock up, sounds like I will not be doing much after the surgery. An impossible
task for me.

Thanks Jan Richards
Unread 04-11-2001, 06:36 PM
upcomng surgery

Jan, Stay in touch.....
Unread 04-11-2001, 07:24 PM
Hi Jan...

Just thought I would share what it was like with me. I have had 2 c-sections, 7 and 3 years ago. I also had a TAH 4 months ago, and FOR ME anyway, the recovery for the hyst was soooo much different that the recovery from the sections. I can clearly remember getting up with my little babies after I got home from the hospital for nightly feedings and such and I commented to my husband my first week home from the hyst that there is no way I would be able to do that now.
I have read it here from our wonderful hostesses, and I will pass this on to you...Having a baby and placenta removed from your body is natural, having organs removed from your body is not. Not to mention the re-attaching of ligaments and the like once the uterus is removed.
This is what helped me. My DH was home with me for the first 2 weeks after surgery, doing everything. Making breakfast for the kids, getting them to school, making their lunches, bathing the youngest, etc, etc...
We will NOT talk about the way he *dressed* my 3 year old daughter for school, her teachers STILL speak of that!
Good luck to you, and God bless..
Love,
Ami
Unread 04-12-2001, 08:04 PM
upcomng surgery

Hi Jan

Your condition sounds exactly like mine. I am now three months post op TAH. I had a very large (around 7lb) fibroid. Towards the end it was like a 7 month pregnancy. I felt tight and bloated, swollen ankles, sore legs and lower back pain. I also felt miserable. Now I am happy to report that all of those pains have gone. The only weight I lost was the weight of the fibroid and uterus etc. but I feel a lot lighter and more energetic. Hang in there. This surgery is the best thing that can happen for you.

Love to you

Coralie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register