Kinda starting to freak out!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kinda starting to freak out!!! Kinda starting to freak out!!!

Unread 12-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Kinda starting to freak out!!!

Well my surgery is less then a week away and i am kinda starting to freak. For one thing the hospital hasn't called yet to give me pre op instructions. so i don't even know what time i have to be there!! To top it all off i am leaveing for Vegas on thursday. I called the hospital and told them i was leaving town so i needed at lets a few instructions. they keep saying we will call u as soon as we can. Why can the dang lady look it up and just tell me??!! they always ask my name and when i am having the surgery. just doesn't make sence to me. ok thanks for letting me vent. hopefully they call me today.

oh one more thing...do u still have the gas pains if they cut u open? i mean i understand the whole gas thing if you have a vaginal hyst, but do u still have it if they cut you open to do it?? just wondering if i should go get some gas x??!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:11 AM

Hi there!!!!! I totally understand, I am getting nervous myself, but my pre-op is scheduled.......I am suprised they don't have you in already for it!!!!! Also, since I haven't had mine yet either, I am not sure about the gas thing!!! I was wondering the same thing!!!
Well, best wishes to you and hope you have fun in Vegas!!!!!!
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Redhd-
I understand the freaking out part! One week prior to surgery was about the time that I started to go nuts. Hang in there! Hopefully a trip to Vegas will be a good diversion and help you have some fun that will keep your mind off of it. And I understand about the medical folks not wanting to help out and get your questions answered on your schedule! They march to there own beat, for sure. They don't seem to understand that WE are the consumer. It's the strangest thing. Can you imagine if the retail industry acted that way??? Anyway, take care, and remember that you are not alone.
Julie

P.S. I can't answer the question about gas for an abdominal hyst since I'm having a laparoscopic hyst. Sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:41 AM

I went for my pre op today. Of course I live in another country but it was all pretty straight forward. I had some blood tests. everything was explained to me , I could ask questions at anytime. I talked with a nurse and then a Dr. What is really funny is that I haven't even met the Dr. that is going to perform the surgery. On the day of admission they will run a EKG on me and get this, I have to bring my own pads. I have reached a stage right now , where I realize it is all out of my control and hands. So I have to put it in bigger hands then mine and rest in that. I hope and pray all goes well for you. Enjoy yourself in Vegas, we were there in March. We had a great time.
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:56 AM

Hey Redhd,
IMHO I would call the DR's office and tell them that you are going out of town and would appreciate some information regarding your Surgery that is less than a week away. Advise them you have not had your pre-op at the hospital and what day you will be returning.

I had a TAH; no real problems with gas. No use of GasX. I took a little pillow to the hospital with me and used it to keep my belly "centred" while I was laying on my side. By moving from side to side, I was able to move the gas through my bowels for release. The gas gets trapped in the corners of your intestines and bowels and that is why we are told to start walking as soon as you can.

By the way, did you go get your granny panties?

Wishing you lots of luck in Vegas and a prosperous new year.

Autumn
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Hey ladies thanks so much for ur support. with my last surgery (lap) i just went to the hospital a few hrs before my surgery...for my pre op. so i know that is when i will go in, but i don't know what time or if i need to do a prep or not or anything else special. the pre op people only call monday-friday, not there on weekends. i won't be home till sat night. surgery is on monday morning. so you can see my problem. Autumn, yes i got my granny panties! lol man that is alot of fabric. lol Thanks ladies!!!
Unread 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM

no gas problem with my TAH/BSO... but my mouth was dryer than the Nevada desert post-op... make sure you have chapstick or something so your lips don't get all "peely". Now that I think of it, wish I'd have had some gum or a mint. Dry, dry, dry. Hope all goes well in Vegas and with the surgery.
Unread 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM

I had an abdominal hyst six weeks ago and the gas seemed to be the worst part of it all. I was told to expect it and that it does pass in a week or so.

I was actually given gas-x and stool softeners while I was in the hospital. They gave it to me two or three times per day.

I did have a bottle at home as well as stool softeners! It really helped alot.

A trip to Vegas sounds great!

I would call your doctors office rather than the hospital at this point to see if they can't move them along a little quicker. You really should have preop soon!

Good Luck to you! If it helps at all, the waiting is the hardest part!
Unread 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM

Well i finally called the hospital again! They finally gave me some info, but said time may change. glad i finally got some answers!!!
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:36 PM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register