Bowel prep ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Bowel prep ?

Does having a rectocele repair (along with vaginal hysterectomy and cystocele) pretty much guarantee having to do a bowel prep? I dread the thought of that as I have always been a picky eater, so drinking nasty fluids is especially hard for me. It's just hard to believe they can work that close to "that area" without the chance of an impending bowel movement presenting itself during surgery. But oh, how I would gag on that nasty liquid. Anybody with a rectocele repair get by without having to do any kind of prep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Re: Bowel prep ?

I can't answer as to that specific procedure, but there are different kinds of bowel prep. Some are liquid, but there are also pills and enemas. Your doctor might prefer the liquid, but the other methods might be acceptable to him or her as well -- ask!
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM

First-I really doubt you are going to be able to bypass the bowel prep with a rectocele repair. However, I am currently doing one right now and it isn't as bad for me as many people made it out to be. Fun, no! But I think the fact that I fasted all day before starting it-besides clear liquids helped plus yesterday-I followed their instructions on what to eat/not to eat to the T.

I was prepared with wanting to puke...cramps..pain..horrible montuzema explosions...none of that has happened. Nor have I been burned to smithereens back there or sore. I still have a little way to go but things are coming out just fine.

The only annoying part thus far is that my husband keeps coming to check on me-LEAVE ME ALONE DUDE-or chat AND leaves our bedroom door cracked (my inlaws are here to help with the children) which is off the family room. PRIVACY PLEASE!

I finally sent him out for some Hot and Sour Soup for me to drink the broth. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Good luck to you tomorrow.YogaJunkie. I go in on the 9th, so I will take your advice on the bowel prep and eat light tomorrow.
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM

I will post my experience before I go to bed tonight..if I can help just one sister on her quest to bowel cleanliness...my membership here will not have been in vain.
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Ask your doctor about the MiraLax + Dulcolax bowel prep. If you mix the Miralax in something like Crystal Light, it really doesn't taste like anything except crystal light! The only way you taste the Miralax is if it's in plain water, and then it's just a slight plasticky taste. The prep is 14 days worth of Miralax in 2 quarts of liquid, plus 4 dulcolax tablets. Good luck!
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks everybody. I've got a couple months to blow it way up out of proportion in my head (LOL) as I'm waiting until end of June to do this thing - after school is out. My husband is having his first surgery in his 44 years later this month (weight loss surgery), so we've got a bet on for which one of us injects the most "drama" into their recovery. I'm betting on him as he has only had his tonsils out as a child, so he has no idea what waking up from a surgery feels like. As for me? I've had a c-section, lap chole, and various other lesser surgeries, so I know what I'm in for.... Somehow I have a feeling this thing may be more painful than anything thus far due to the location, if I remember correctly about the huge episiotomy I had with my first baby. My sister had vag hyst and said when she woke up it was quite the pain "down there", so we shall see. For now I'll just spend my time dreading the bowel prep and that will keep my mind off the rest of it!
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Much love girlfriend. You will be fine. Follow my sage advice and it will all come out, ok...er I mean end up all right...er...well, you will get to the bottom of it anyway...see-I am almost done with nasto-licious (as I like to call it) and I am still making jokes!
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM

LOL - too funny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register