IBS anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:48 AM
IBS anyone?

I've never been diagnosed with IBS, I'm just assuming I've got it. I've never been constipated but certainly have plenty of the opposite (a few times a week). Right now I've got gas pain in my left side that is pretty severe. I wish I could get rid of it but it's been hanging on for hours now and I'm at work.

Does anybody know if a hyster will help IBS or make it worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
IBS anyone?

I sure would like to know that too. It is very common for me to go 3 to 4 times a day if not more with loose bowels. It gets so old.
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:08 PM
IBS anyone?

Back and forth. Back and forth. Loose bowels, then that dreadful constipated feeling all within an hour or two. I hate it.

I got diagnosed when I had an anal fissure repair and sphincterectomy. I was given several medicines, but over the course of the years I've discovered that the best thing of all--for me, I must stress--is oatmeal.

Oatmeal! It keeps the looseness from being too watery and keeps the constipation from slowing things down too much.

I'm preparing for this surgery by loading up on oatmeal. I'm not expecting surgery to solve any part of the IBS, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

I know, this isn't exactly the question in this thread, but I wanted to share my situation. And to say that I'm watching for the answers closely from a personal standpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
IBS anyone?

I had my sphincterectomy back in 2001. I don't know if it helped or not. I guess it has in the respect that it gives me about 2 extra minutes to get to the restroom, but it gets so old going all the time. And I hate it that I can't hold it if it hits faster than I expect it to. I would think that I would be thinner than what I am with going to the potty as much as I do. My husband says he is going to just start asking for a lease on food rather than buying it because it doesn't stay in me longer than 10 minutes. I guess it is better than being constipated though.
Unread 04-05-2004, 01:33 PM
IBS anyone?

Ooooooh, wouldn't that be great it IBS was improved after surgery. I had my hemmorhoidectomy, anal fissure repair and sphincterectomy a few years ago. For the longest time I had the loose bowels, but after a period of diverticulitis about two months ago, now I'm constipated....go figure!!!! Anyway, I'm definitely going to give the oatmeal a try!
Unread 04-05-2004, 01:49 PM
IBS anyone?

I have very recently been been to a G.I. doc & am being treated for irratable bowel. I have suffered with constipaton & gas pain for years. My impression from the things I have read on this web site is that it sounds like they hysterectomy does end up helping in some cases although it seems like it has been more of a help with constipation. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I am also going to try the oatmeal thing.
Unread 04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
IBS anyone?

I had IBS symptoms prior to surgery and they have improved much since. We didn't know it but found out during surgery that I had severe Endo all over. Got this all cleaned up and everything is getting back to normal. Some foods still set me off but I think that is more a no gladblsdder extra bile issue than anything else. Cramping and need to find a bathroom right now type stuff has pretty much gone away.
Unread 04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
IBS anyone?

Hello ladies. I too have been diagnosed with IBS since I was 9 years old. I had an ulcer at 9 so I have been through it all with the IBS/gastric issues. I too am hoping that my LAVH will help with the IBS. I really think it will because I have had 3 surgeries for Endo and they definitely seem to be realted. Right after my surgeries, I had no problems with constipation or loose bowels, but shortly after it all starts back. Part of this might be because a lot of my Endo is very widespread and is on almost every organ including my intestines which would have to play some part. So I guess it just depends on your situation and the reason for your hysterectomy but I am VERY hopeful. I'll be sure to let you know afterwards though! Good luck to everyone! Thanks for the oatmeal trick. Have not tried that one before.
Unread 04-05-2004, 03:35 PM
IBS anyone?

Hi there ladies - I am now just over 5 months post op and I am afraid to say that my IBS has defintely got worse since surgery - I have more pain and cramping now than before with bouts of constipation also - I eat a high fibre diet, 4 pieces of fruit a day and live a healthy life - I put it down to the fact that all my insides have now moved around and aren't where they are used to being OR it could be adhesions - but having said that I truly feel 100% up on what I was like pre-op - my IBS is a small price to pay for being pain free and stain free all month every month - take care sisters - love Sharon xx
Unread 04-05-2004, 06:28 PM
IBS anyone?

I hope there is some connection. In 2000 I had a lap and they found several adhesions to my large intestines that were pulling the intestines towards my uterus. This just happed to be in the same location I was having terrible pains when I would have my bouts with IBS. After they removed the adhesions and I recovered I was fine for couple years. Now it's back, but in slightly different spots. When he showed me the pictures from the lap, there was a big dip in the intestine due to the adhesion pulling it down. That made total sense to me that the "stuff" was getting stuck there and that was causing me terrible pains until it passed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register