Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY

Unread 07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Studies about Soy and Black Cohosh - INFORMATION ONLY DO NOT REPLY

Here is a link to a company that has been researching soy and using it in all sorts of clinical trials.

<oops! no links to commercial websites, please>

This is a good product, lots of research and a library of information you can access on the web.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

God bless you all as you heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2004, 04:01 PM
BLACK COHOSH AND BREAST CANCER

If you are taking black cohosh please do so with the understanding that if you have undetected breast cancer (and it can remain undetected for years) or if you have had a diagnosis of breast cancer - the black cohosh can cause the breast cancer to spread to the lungs. It does not cause breast cancer but it can cause it to spread. Do an internet search of black cohosh and breast cancer - the report came out of Duquesne University in my home town of Pittsburgh and I showed it to my breast surgeon and he said it was credible research.
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:34 AM

The point of this thread was originally that there would only be reports of research on soy and black cohosh because so little is known and there's so much so much half-information and mis-information out there. I thought it would help pin down the facts as science advanced small step by small step. Since I'm not a hostess anymore and have a fraction of the time I used to, this thread has of course changed to more general discussion.

Surferbabe and the others who actually know stats etc. can maybe help with whether my quickie early morning survey makes sense.

First of all, I believe that the warning that is being reported is from a small preliminary report presented at a conference. It is good that women are cautious but this isn't a proven connection yet reported in a peer-reviewed article. If I'd already had BC I'd have a long talk with my doc before taking it as Buhla says.

The report was up on www.breastcancer.org This is their summary--

Vicki L. Davis et al., American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting, July 11-14, 2003, Washington, D.C., abstract #R910
August 2003 Research News

Study design: Researchers in this study used more than 200 female mice that are especially prone to developing breast cancer (all the mice had genetic abnormalities equivalent to HER2/neu abnormalities in humans). For most of the animals' adult life, half were fed a standard diet plus a daily amount of black cohosh. The other half received just a standard diet, without any black cohosh. The amount of black cohosh given to the first half was comparable to the amount that women take to relieve menopausal symptoms (45 milligrams for every 1800 calories in the diet). Researchers then looked at how many breast cancers developed in the mice receiving the black cohosh compared to those who got the standard diet. They also checked how many mice had breast cancers that spread to the lungs in each of the two groups of animals.

Study results: The animals that got the black cohosh did not have significantly more breast cancers than those that did not get this supplement. But nearly three times more breast cancers had spread to the lungs in the animals fed the black cohosh (27%) as compared to those given the standard diet (11%).

Conclusion: These results suggest that black cohosh supplements might not affect your risk of developing breast cancer. But if breast cancer does develop, black cohosh may make it more aggressive and likely to spread to other organs or tissues.

Remember that this is an early small study, done on mice. It's very hard to take information from animal studies and apply it to people. Still, based on these conclusions, researchers may consider it potentially unsafe for women with breast cancer to even try black cohosh.

Take-home message: This small study was done in animals, so its findings are not as reliable as those of larger studies done in women. But it suggests that you may want to think twice before taking black cohosh supplements to relieve your hot flashes or other symptoms. This herbal remedy may NOT be a safer alternative to standard HRT, especially if you have already had breast cancer.

So, that's the warning that's being repeated. One of the things I'm noting in the research is that there are different ways of preparing black cohosh, which adds to the confusion. One way has an estrogenic or perhaps stronger estrogenic effect, the other seems to have no estrogenic effect or even an anti-estrogenic effect. Asian researchers report estrogenic effects. Western researchers do not. To avoid the estrogenic effects--I'd stick with Remifemin and Menofem, the brands used in the Western studies involving humans.

Third, one of the ways that the presence of estrogenic activity is tested is whether massive doses in the test tube (in vitro) alter estrogen receptive breast cancer cells. If inhumanly large massive doses have no effect, then there are no phytoestrogens present. That doesn't mean that a humanly possible dose has an effect on breast cancer. It doesn't say that it doesn't either, of course. It's just that that hasn't been studied in that kind of test.

So, I decided to do a survey of the latest medical research on the connection of Cimicifuga racemosa (black cohosh) and breast cancer. I did a simply search in Medline and simply ran down every abstract that was a an actual study for the first 10 (I'm running out of time). This represents the last 5 years of research. These are studies that are peer reviewed--though the better the journal, the better the review process. Frankly, the fact that I couldn't find the Davis research in Medline makes me wonder. Medical journals usually have faster turnaround in the review process than seven months, but there are various things that affect medical publishing so it might not be flaws in the study.

I've sorted what I found out below.

---------------------------

NO CONNECTION

-------------------------------
This is the best quality study at first glance so I am including the whole abstract:

Cancer Research. 2002 Jun 15;62(12):3448-52. "Lack of promotion of estrogen-dependent mammary gland tumors in vivo by an isopropanolic Cimicifuga racemosa extract." by Freudenstein J, Dasenbrock C, Nisslein T.
Abstract: Cimicifuga racemosa (CR) is widely used in the treatment of menopausal symptoms. Mechanistic studies suggest that unlike hormone-replacement therapy, CR does not stimulate estrogen-receptor positive breast cancer cells. To evaluate CR safety, we performed an in vivo investigation of a clinically tested isopropanolic CR extract. Mammary tumors were induced in Sprague Dawley rats (n = 75) by the application of 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene. Five to nine weeks later, the animals were ovariectomized, allowed to recover, and administered daily doses of CR extract (0.714, 7.14, or 71.4 mg/kg body weight per day) or control substances (estrogen/positive control: 450 microg/kg/day mestranol; or CR vehicle/negative control). The animals were sacrificed 6 weeks later, and tumor number, size, plasma hormone levels, and the weight of estrogen-sensitive organs were analyzed. In contrast to mestranol treatment, CR treatment did not stimulate cancerous growth. There were no significant differences in tumor number or size between the CR groups and the vehicle control. Likewise, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone levels and organ weights and endometrial proliferation were unaffected. The lack of mammary tumor-stimulating effects of this extract is of great significance in establishing the safety of CR extracts for treatment of menopausal symptoms in women with a history of breast cancer in which hormone-replacement therapy is contraindicated."

-------------------------------------

[I'm putting this one in the no connection category because it would seem that if the black cohosh had any effect in changing breast cancer status, it would have shown up. I'll try to find the article later and check waht was tested.]

Maturitas. 2003 Mar 14;44 Suppl 1:S59-65. "Cimicifuga racemosa for the treatment of hot flushes in women surviving breast cancer." by Hernandez Munoz G, Pluchino S.
Conclusion: The combined administration of tamoxifen plus CR BNO 1055 for a period of 12 months allowed satisfactory reduction in the number and severity of hot flushes.

----------------------------

Maturitas. 2003 Mar 14;44 Suppl 1:S39-50. "Pharmacology of Cimicifuga racemosa extract BNO 1055 in rats: bone, fat and uterus." by Seidlova-Wuttke D, Jarry H, Becker T, Christoffel V, Wuttke W.
Conclusion: The CR extract BNO 1055 exerted estrogenic effects in the bone (particularly in osteoblasts) and in fat tissue, but not in the uterus of ovx rats. The extract appears to contain rat organ-specific selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs), and if these findings can be approved in human it may be an alternative to HRT.

-------------------------

PREVENTS/INHIBITS BREAST CANCER
--------------------------

Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2004 Mar;84(2):151-60. "Cimicifuga racemosa extract inhibits proliferation of estrogen receptor-positive and negative human breast carcinoma cell lines by induction of apoptosis." by Hostanska K, Nisslein T, Freudenstein J, Reichling J, Saller R.
Conclusion: "These results indicate that C. racemosa extract exerts no proliferative activity, but kills the estrogen receptor positive MCF-7 as well as estrogen receptor negative MDA-MB231 cells by activation of caspases and induction of apoptosis."

------------------------------

Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2004 Feb;83(3):221-31. "Growth inhibitory activity of extracts and purified components of black cohosh on human breast cancer cells." by Einbond LS, Shimizu M, Xiao D, Nuntanakorn P, Lim JT, Suzui M, Seter C, Pertel T, Kennelly EJ, Kronenberg F, Weinstein IB.
Conclusion: Specific chemicals found in black cohosh were extracted and were found to inhibit growth of the MCF7 human breast cancer cells and induced cell cycle arrest at G1. Further studies are in progress to identify the mechanisms by which actein and related compounds present in black cohosh inhibit growth of human breast cancer cells.

-------------------------

Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 2002 Nov 20;50(24):7022-8.
"Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa L.) protects against menadione-induced DNA damage through scavenging of reactive oxygen species: bioassay-directed isolation and characterization of active principles."
by Burdette JE, Chen SN, Lu ZZ, Xu H, White BE, Fabricant DS, Liu J, Fong HH, Farnsworth NR, Constantinou AI, Van Breemen RB, Pezzuto JM, Bolton JL.

Conclusion: Six of these antioxidants were found to reduce menadione-induced DNA damage in cultured S30 breast cancer cells with the following order of potency: methyl caffeate (2) > caffeic acid (1) > ferulic acid (3) > cimiracemate A (9) > cimiracemate B (10) > fukinolic acid (5). These data suggest that black cohosh can protect against cellular DNA damage caused by reactive oxygen species by acting as antioxidants.

---------------------------------

ACCELERATES/ESTROGEN-LIKE
---------------------------------

[there were three Asian studies that were all similar in minor journals--finding that there is estrogenic effect on BC cells in the test tube: Their conclusions were all like this:

J Med Food. 2001 utumn;4(3):171-178.
"Estrogenic Effects of Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh) in Mice and on Estrogen Receptors in MCF-7 Cells." by Liu ZP, Yu B, Huo JS, Lu CQ, Chen JS.
Conclusion: CR extracts produced an estrogenic action [using the measure of estrogen receptor breast cancer cells]..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Golly geeze. Thanks much for all your hard work Trish. Appreciate well documented source material.
Unread 09-09-2004, 01:57 PM

HELL-0 mariana, idont take any hormones either and feel good lei-55
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:24 AM

Thanks to all for the wealth of info above. My doctor put me on estrgen patches right after surgery. I have now decided to try another route because of water retention an just not feeling good on the HRTs I've tried. Also I had endo and do not want it to come back.
At the moment I am taking effexor 37.5 for previous anxiety issues! I plan to stay on that and try soy milk and remifemin as well as vitamin e oil for vaginal dryness. I realize this is a jungle and figure I'm somewher on the jungle path. I also bought the book Sudden Menapause yesterday which has helped me make my decision.
I'm looking into the bioidential alternative too, but my intuition keeps telling me not to go with HRT.
I have spoken to my doc about HRT and her only comment about not going with HRT is that I'll have hot flashes so.....
I'm muddling through like everyone else!

Unread 09-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Autoimmune Hepatitis Associated with Use of Black Cohosh

Here's another one to add to the pile... it's a case study of a woman who developed autoimmune hepatitis as a result of using black cohosh:

http://www.menopausejournal.com/pt/r...W81cUOkMQWROrq!-1039996268!-949856032!9001!-1

It's only one case study, but it was enough to raise concern. Similar cases of autoimmune hepatitis have also been reported among users of ma huang. If I were taking black cohosh or ma huang (I'm not) I think I'd want to have my liver function checked periodically (of course I'm using testosterone so I get that done anyway ).

-Linda
Unread 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info! The black cohosh- didn't agree with my digestive tract so..... I'm looking into the bioidentical hormones.

And on we go!!!!
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
soy and breast cancer

This was a report on a study I found in Prevention. They didn't mention where the study had been published. If I bump into the original, I'll report on that too.

The upshot is that eating soy flour or tofu etc. may be neutral or lower risk, but that eating concentrated isoflavones may increase risk of breast cancer.

To quote the article in Prevention:
"Researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign investigated the effects of processing on tumor growth by injecting rats with tumor cells and then feeding them soy products with different levels of processing, from soy flour to pure genistein. In control mice, tumors shrank. Tumor size stayed the same in rats fed soy flour but increased in rats fed soy extracts, isoflavones, or genistein."
Unread 11-21-2004, 10:17 AM
CONFUSED ABOUT SOY AND NAT'L HORMONES??

I just had total hysterectomy 10/27-I started taking estriol(because I had breast cancer 15 yrs ago),testosterone,and progesterone AND ANDREW LESSMAN'S WOMENS'WELLNESS which has 40%isoflavones,soy protein 200mg,soy germ60mg,chinese green tea 250mg,cranberry 125mg,broccoli 25mg,lutein 2mg,lycopen31m)says has total isofavones 67mg,Genistein 31mg,dadizein 29mg)

Are you saying if you use soy products with natural hormones that they do not work together? I have not noticed much difference in feeling more energy, still ache,very dry skin,don't sleep well-I still taking mild nerve pill and sleeping pill to sleep at night(I put progesterone cream on in evening-and I haven't seen that it makes me drowsy at all)

If you are not supposed to take soy with natural hormones that may be why I'm not seeing results with the natural hormones(all gel)

Can you pls explain what you are saying about soy and NHR? Are you saying that soy prevents the natural hormones from working-if that is the case I need to quit taking the Soy product supplements.

Thanks.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register