Back From Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back From Surgery Back From Surgery

Unread 04-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Back From Surgery

Well, wouldn't you just know it! After almost 5 years of surviving breast cancer, now it's ovarian cancer. Stage IIIb, microscopic traces in the omentum but no lymph node involvement.

So, back to chemo. Looks like carbo platinum and taxol. How did you do on that? I had AC ( the red devil) during bc and it really made me sick. I've been hearing this is not going to be that bad.

We need to keep our cruise plans. My poor husband has been wonderful through this and we both need to go. Should I plan the trip during the second week after chemo?

Have any of you had "my kind of bad luck" ( my gynocologists words. Someone please send them back to psychology school!) That is, that you had both BC and ovarian cancer?

Plus, there are no support groups in my community. Tons when I had bc, but none for this.

My friends all say how courageous I am, but in the middle of the night I am panicing. I have a great faith, but I am hard put to justify all this in my mind and heart. I have a beautiful family , and we just moved into a home we love. Life was great again, up till now.

I am so close to my little grandsons. Why is this happening now? My oldest grandson is so upset that Gram is sick.

My Mom died of ovarian cancer when she was 8 years older than I am right now. She had no options and they caught it way too late. I am grateful for an outside chance of surviving.

It's three weeks after surgery and I recovered quickly. No bleeding, little pain after the first two weeks. My surgeon said I am one of the healthiest people ( aside from my cancer episodes) he has ever seen. That he wishes he could give all his patients my diagnosis, but that he usually cannot.

I am reading Lance Armstrong's book, and it is inspiring. Does anyone have an other book suggestions? I need to get my fight back and reconnect in a strong way to God.

How did you get back into the fight, and conquer the fear?

Thanks.

Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Back From Surgery

s Catherine

I am so sorry to hear of your ovca diagnosis. My sister is battling a reoccurrence of breast ca right now and as I've told her, once is more than enough. It's just not fair to have to fight this battle twice. But we do. We take our diagnosis and we fight like heck. In reading your post, I can tell that you have great inner strength and you will get thru this.

When I was first diagnosed with ovca (Stage IIIC), the first thing I thought of was my 5 year old grandaughter. NO way am I not going to be here to see her graduate, get married and make me a great-grandma. She is truly my inspiration.

Carbo/taxol is very doable. I never got sick, only a couple waves of nausea. I had my chemo every third Thursday, went to work on Friday, felt yucky on Saturday and Sunday (bone aches and fatigue). Felt better on Mondays. Drink plenty of fluids during chemo. Neuropathy was my only real side effect from chemo.

My hubby and I are cruise nuts and always cruise in October. Last October i was in the midst of chemo, so we are really looking forward to this year. A couple weeks after chemo, your main complaint will be fatigue. If you are the type of person that has to do a port excursion at ever stop, you will be exhausted. If you do more relaxing, you will be just fine to cruise after 2 weeks.

If you go to our Books we Recommend section you should find some books on ovca.

Please keep us posted on your progress....we will be here for you every step of the way......

Unread 04-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Back From Surgery

Lori, Thanks so much for replying. I have to go buy wigs again this morning and it's really bringing me down. You know we have to be so positive and strong for our families and sometimes we just need a good place to cry.

My husband finally looks less stressed than during this whole time and I am going to call a close girlfriend so he won't see me break down ( which is what I think is going to happen at the wig place this am)

I found the book section. Thanks so much.

I am so happy to hear of your successful treatment. I will be tested for Bracca to rule out my daughters gene inheritance from me. They should inherit my mother in laws health. She hasn't seen a gynocologist in 55 years and is alive and healthy at 87! Some people have all the luck!

Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Back From Surgery

Thinking of you. It is a bit of a "double dose" of something to have to beat both these ca s but I hope you do really well - and enjoy the cruise.

I know what u mean about some people have all the luck - my grandmother lived till 91 (and dh's till 94) with hardly a sick day in their lives. We don't all have it so easy, sadly.

H
Unread 04-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Catherine

I know a woman on another board who just got over treatment for an ovarian diagnosis and now was hit with breast cancer. She will have AC. Yes, both can occur sadly. One is more than enough.

I've had Taxol/carbo and was tired but able to work all the way through. The week before the next chemo was my best.

I've also been following (formerly with as they were so nice) a breast cancer board. Almost every comment I have seen is that AC is far worse than Taxol/Carbo. Of course, we're all different in how we react to chemo. But AC seems to be harder.

I say cruise away. Eat, eat, eat (you may want to ask before you go about eating fresh things if your immune system isn't up to par) and have a good time asea.
Unread 04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Back From Surgery

H and Margaret, Thanks.

Margaret, if you speak to the woman starting AC, tell her they gave me zofran ( anti-nausea) with it, and it helped a lot. But, the thing that really helped was acupuncture. I would have three sessions, one day before chemo and two days after. Sloan Kettering recommend acupuncture to help with nausea.

If one had morning sickness with pregnancy ( that would be me), they are more likely to feel nauseated during AC.

I'm going to inquire when I go this thursday if my other non involved breast should undergo a prophilactic mastectomy. I'd like to remove all potential trouble spots.

What's up with that article about the nurse who had an omectomy and refused chemo! Was that an option I was never given?

Btw, will I also be doing radiation as well as chemo?

Catherine
Unread 04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Back From Surgery

I have personally never spoken with anyone who has received radiation for ovarian ca.

Thanks for the info on the AC vs. taxol/carbo. My sister will soon be starting taxol for reoccurent breast ca. She is so scared, because she had such an awful time with the AC. I will share the info with her.

Of course, no treatment is an option for us. But IMHO it is not the best decision for advanced ovca. I often wonder how that nurse is doing. Anyone know?

s
Unread 04-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Back From Surgery

Lori, I will send prayers for your sister.

I am feeling everyones prayers this evening. I spoke with my brother and he is such an uplifting person. He told me God is using me to inspire others who will have to battle this disease. I told him in order for me to be an inspiration, God will have to keep me alive. We had a good laugh.

I started reading Guideposts this evening while my husband and I watched tv together. There was a Max Lucado quote. He said, "If you want to change your life, keep repeating, "The Lord is My Shepherd".

I started doing that, and now am feeling much more at peace. Then, my husband told me that while I was asleep, the doctor told him and our son that he "Got it all, during the operation, without a question." That he was positive I am cancer free.

Thanks so much for being such a good hyster sister friend. I think I will sleep tonight.

Catherine
Unread 04-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Back From Surgery

Dear Catherine,

I'm so sorry that you are being hit with this double-whammy!
:cry:

I had carbo/taxol and I have to say that it was quite doable. I never went on a cruise during treatment, but I dont see why you couldn't As long as you aren't prone to sea-sickness...lol
I had Zofran for nausea and it was wonderful. Very constipating, so be aware of that and stay ahead of it..but great for preventing nausea.

I did go for a weekend family reunion 2 days after treatment, an amusement park 2 days after treatment, and vacation involving a 6 hour car ride 2 days after treatment, and all was well. As long as you can rest when you need to, that's the important thing.

I totally went into warrior mode after my Ovca diagnosis. Prayer, meditation, visualization, reiki all helped. I read Lance Armstrong (2 books) shortly after my diagnosis and found it to be very very inspirational. I read a lot of books...all promoting hope and positive thinking. I see Lori already steered you towards our recomended book list in the resource section; there are some wonderful books on that list.

Best of luck. You can do this..and you WILL enjoy that cruise
xoxo
K9
Unread 04-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Back From Surgery

Dear K9,

Your adventures are inspiring me. I have great sea legs and hope they hold up for this time around.

Some good things always come out of bad things, and this time that will hold true. We will get a balcony instead of an oceanview window, so if I feel bad, I can just sit outside in the fresh air.

Plus, I am thinking this is a good year to get the central AC at least on the main floor of our home. It'll help a lot with the wig and the upcoming summer heat.

I prayed for Loris sister last night, and I found the prayer forum here.

I still woke up up 3 am, but this time I just thought, "The Lord is my Shepherd" and kept repeating it. The next thing I knew it was 8:30am!

You have all been so comforting. Thank you.

Now, back to wig hunting! The one bright spot is my own hair is so thin and stick straight, it'll no doubt be a temporary improvement!

Catherine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register