Pain from TAH comparable to that from c-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain from TAH comparable to that from c-section? Pain from TAH comparable to that from c-section?

Unread 12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Pain from TAH comparable to that from c-section?

Hi,I'm new here. And i meet with my Dr.thursday, the 14th to schedule my Total Hysterectomy, waiting on the biopsy. I am sooooo scared. I'm 31 years old and feel like it's just toooo sooon. The anticipation is messed up. I had a c-section is the pain after that equivilent? Just curious.
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Welcome StillKim! I had a TAH-BSO on Aug 3rd because of cancer.The first two days I had a pain pump then I was switched to oral pain pills.Before I went in to the hospital I thought it would be the worst pain ever but it really wasn`t.One of the best things to do is to get moving as soon as you can.It really helps with the pain.In 1984 I had a csection & I think the pain from it was far worse.I had a bikini cut that wouldn`t heal.For my hysterectomy he cut from above my belly button down.
Unread 12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Me Too!! Nervous, that is

Well Chimmer,
I'm due for TAH-BSO on 12/11 and will have the same incision cut. I'm hoping I'll sail through it in the fashion that you sound to have. I too, am nervous-same old thoughts of 'what if?'-but I'm going through with it just the same-ever focusing on what everybody says, "you'll ask yourself why you waited so long." So Chimmer, how does the suture line look? Did it fade into the woodwork?

bonitagyrrl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:19 AM

I think everyone and everytime might be different. I had my surgery with a spinal block and was up walking in the middle of that night. I was delayed getting started and then took longer than planned but it all worked out. My scar is a hip to hip almost but healing great. As for pain, I only took motrim after surgery was completed. I am the type that if I did not feel pain I would push myself too far. Every day got better and off any motrim after day 5. Sometimes I think the pain was better than my actual periods. Only really felt pain when getting up or down. Once I was where I wanted to be it was not too bad. I am walking a quarter mile a day now, slow but walking and actually once I walk some I am able to walk upright :-). I am 47, overweight, never had a c-section so can not compare...good luck! I will be putting good vibs your way for a speedy recovery!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the replies. But your all probably right, it differs per person and I think no matter how many people explain their stories I'll still be scared.I guess I should just relax, just don't know how. I'm gonna get my house and laundry tip top this week , do groceries and get everything in order. Thanks for the replies.
Still Kim
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM

I have had two Csections and now a TAH. The first Csection was horrible to recuperate from, the second (twins) was a breeze as far as I can remember. The TAH is in between, I'd say, I have more pain from ligaments and the poking around than I did with the twins, but physically recuperating is better than my first Csection. Unless you had an unusually easy Csection recovery, I'd say you should be able to handle it just fine.

What IS very different is my energy level. Granted, I'm 25 years older than my first C section and 12 years older than my second, but I think the surgery and internal healing is far more energy-zapping than Csections. And I don't have a baby (or two) that needs care, feeding and attention, so maybe I am focusing on it a bit more where I ignored it when my babies were born.
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:07 PM

i've read that its different but i think it depends on the person and if you've had previous abdominal surgery. i dont think anyone is really prepared for the pain the first time because they have nothing to compare it to. i had a lap hysterectomy and found the gas pains to be extremely painful and ive read about women that breeze right through those. good luck!!
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:19 PM

I believe my C-section was easier, the uterus after all is sitting up in the air, cut open the bag get baby stitch back up. TAH/BSO cut open reach in and take out parts, move around everything inside that is in the way while looking for the parts. You will have lots of internal stitches that must heal, people take this part too lightly. I've recently learned not to expect to see the vaginal stitches fall out until the 7th week. It takes a lot of time and body energy for you to heal from this surgery.
I am still glad I did it but this is no cakewalk, and neither was the C-section. I had a vaginal delivery after the C-for all those that wonder vaginal is the cakewalk. Don't let anyone tell you, you got off easy because they are so wrong.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register